Galaxy Nexus Reservation - LTE or not?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Galaxy Nexus Reservation - LTE or not?

I was just about to reserve the Samsung Galaxy Nexus but noticed its not listed under the "LTE Smartphone" dropdown, its only listed under "Android".  Does this mean the version of Nexus Rogers is getting is Not going to be LTE?? 

It would be nice to know this before spending $40 to reserve it.

******* Edit labels ********

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Galaxy Nexus Reservation - LTE or not?

Its NOT LTE. The Version that Bell, Virgin, Telus & Rogers are getting is the GSM / HSPA + ( 4G) VERSION.

Also you would have seen it if it was a LTE version because it would have been in the LTE reservation list. Rogers nor any other Canadian carrier said it would be a LTE device.

To be honest i rather buy the one they are coming out with then the LTE one.
I'm Here A Lot

You are correct no Canadian carrier has said it would be LTE. People just assume it would be.

I know I can't be the only one that is disappointed with this. Are you 100% certain of your answer or is it just speculation? Based on all the information (or lack of) I'm assuming it is not LTE but I'm still hoping!
I'm a Trusted Advisor

I am 100% its not a LTE device. I have talked to Google & Rogers & Bell. All of them told me the Canadian carriers will be getting the GSM / HSPA + ( 4G) device NOT the LTE. If it was LTE they would have called it " Galaxy Nexus LTE" Not "Galaxy Nexus"

Also Remember the Galaxy Nexus will NOT be LTE because not all the carriers are using LTE yet. This is why they just made 1 phone using the same networks as the rest of the carriers. Also from what i have seen that the FCC just passed the Verizon Galaxy Nexus LTE version of the phone. So they are going to be getting the LTE version of it.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

I'd add that the current LTE networks available in Canada are not LTE-A (=real 4G).
(Source: wikipedia)

I would be very fine with the GSM version, especially if I get more battery life and have to use cheaper data plan.

The phone itselft may even be cheaper than the LTE version.

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm GLAD it's not the LTE version. 

LTE is way too expensive, plus, not everyone has access. 

I'm Here A Lot

Being glad its not LTE is rather strange. Buying a LTE smartphone does not mean you must have an LTE data plan, you can still use it on HSPA+
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Not really Texel. Even tho you do not need a LTE data plan RIGHT NOW does not mean Rogers can not change it & make you get a LTE data plan with the LTE phone. Remember when you get a smartphone you need to get the data with it. There is a few people that have said that you need a LTE data plan in order to use the LTE phone. Also if you read around the threads in the forums you will see a lot of people have been getting told that there is going to be a new policy where if you get a LTE phone YOU NEED to get a LTE data plan with it. This can happen at anytime.

This is why i & others are glad its not a LTE phone. Think about it. Yes you can change the settings but still why buy a phone that is made for LTE IF you are never going to use LTE...
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I don't see how your carrier can force you to get an LTE data plan if you buy the phone unlocked (all Nexus phones are unlocked).
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Well Mathieu seeing as You are forced to get a data plan when you are doing a 1-2 or 3 year contract with your carrier that is forcing you to get data to get the phone at a sub price.

From rumors a lot of people have heard they will start doing this with the LTE data for the LTE phones.