Galaxy Nexus Reservation - LTE or not?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Galaxy Nexus Reservation - LTE or not?

@Texel wrote:
Being glad its not LTE is rather strange. Buying a LTE smartphone does not mean you must have an LTE data plan, you can still use it on HSPA+

The LTE version is thicker, will be more expensive, and likely uses up more battery life. 

No thanks. 

Where I live there's no LTE coverage, so why should I pay extra for something I'm not using, nor plan on using. 

$50 a month for 10GB data on SPECIAL is a rip off. 

HSPA+ is fast enough to browse the web on my phone. 

I'm disappointed that once again, Rogers is getting the good phones LAST.

How does Bell always manage to get the good phones FIRST?

They're getting the Nexus in early December, while we won't get it 'till end of January most likely. 

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Bell is getting the new phones fast because they are paying top dollar for them. Rogers on the other hand does not want to spend top dollar so they fight until they get the price they like. Bell hands down spends more money on getting people they phonea they want.
I Plan to Stick Around

@Meowmix wrote:
Bell is getting the new phones fast because they are paying top dollar for them. Rogers on the other hand does not want to spend top dollar so they fight until they get the price they like. Bell hands down spends more money on getting people they phonea they want.

I see, come renewal time, it's going to be hard for me to stick with Rogers again. 

It's ridiculous the way they treat their customers, reading the Galaxy SII thread is quite depressing. 

We always get the good phones LAST, and by the time they finally come out, there are other better options available. 

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Meowmix wrote:
Well Mathieu seeing as You are forced to get a data plan when you are doing a 1-2 or 3 year contract with your carrier that is forcing you to get data to get the phone at a sub price.

The freedom of choosing your contract and data plan comes with a price: paying the phone full price.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

This is true. At the same time when a person does not have $500+ to spend on a phone to get it outright then they are forced to get a data plan. It sucks it really does.
I'm Here A Lot

I can confirm 100% that Rogers is not forcing LTE data plans with the Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE hardware. My sister +family signed up for a 3 year contract on Nov12 and got 3 Galaxy S2 LTE smartphones without an LTE plan.

I've been considering getting the Galaxy S2 LTE or sticking with my current phone since Rogers is not getting the Nexus LTE.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

@texel. You can not be 100% sure just because you sister signed up for a plan with ir family. Look at the threads here and read a few posts. About 20+ have been told they are not allowed to get a LTE phone because they need a LTE data plan. I was told the same thing from 27 different reps (online reps, store reps, retentions reps and managers.). Rogers will start forcing those rulese down the lime after they see people will start buying LTE phones. Also you know No canadian carrier will carry the Galaxy Nexus LTE right? You are most likely going to get the Verizon one which will most likely launch a bit after Rogers launches theres. Hopefully Rogers will never out the rule you need a LTE data plan in order to get a LTE phone.
I Plan to Stick Around

Its depends on who you talk to. Some reps don't know what they are talking about.

I heard a rep say that a LTE phone wouldn't work without an LTE Sim.. You can..

I heard a rep say that a LTE phone wouldn't work without an LTE Plan... You can..

I had rep tell my gf she can't get a LTE phone without an LTE Data Plan, she did..

If the rep is not giving you want you call back again instead of wasting your time. 

Majority are just not well informed, some are just difficult but a good number are quite helpful.

As far as the Galaxy Nexus, HSPA is a better option right now. The HTC Raider on GSM is an amazing phone, put that on LTE and watch your battery go away at the same blistering speed as is the LTE network. Smiley Tongue

I personally do not regret getting the raider; I find it already quite large. This phone being even larger makes me wonder why they dont just enable calling on tablets. I guess the sales of the phones would go down for tablet owners.

I Plan to Stick Around

Not all areas have LTE service so I can't possibly see why they would prevent people from buying and using the phone without an LTE plan. It would drastically reduce their sales.

Also, LTE and non-LTE plans are now pretty close in price. Rogers is offering the same 6 GB / month for $30 promo data plan and it includes LTE.

The only thing I could possibly see is needing an LTE capable sim card, however just because you have an LTE sim card doesn't mean you have to use LTE or even have it enabled.
I Plan to Stick Around

galaxy nexus coming for verizon is LTE, with a 2 year contract its 299.99$, and i am using the same data plan i had with my galaxy s vibrant on my s2 lte , it  runs on lte instead of 4g, i didnt need to get a different plan, but i did change my sim card to lte simcard. its funny because none of my services were changed when i upgraded phone other then adding 3 year contract on the current plan. and my 6 gig data plan remained same. i also talked to one of my friends who works for rogers tech support and he advised if your phone is capable of running lte and you have a lte simcard you should get lte service if the area provided LTE