GPS on Samsung Captivate with Android 2.3.3 Not Working

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimrebello
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: GPS on Samsung Captivate with Android 2.3.3 Not Working

Just got my phone back from repairs. It looks as though the replaced the whole mainboard of the phone (PBA = PBC Board Assembly, apparently).

We'll see in the car tonight if that fixed the problem, but I'm not feeling optimistic, given the relatively widespread mention of this issue after GB.

I sent a message to Samsung via their Facebook page, pointing out these errors, as well as the links to this forum, and the one saying the same thing over on Android Forums.

I also called out the TWLauncher errors that people are experiencing. Here's hoping there is at least a minor fix planned, given they are ruining their own product. If not, I don't intend on getting a Samsung phone again any time soon.

jimrebello
I Plan to Stick Around

just got a reply from Samsung. They claim that a factory reset might fix TWLauncher errors (it didn't), and claim that if the GPS still isn't working right, it needs to go for repairs again, despite the fact that it worked fine on the two previous versions of the firmware.

I call BS, I think if you have GPS issues, please contact Samsung and let them know. This has to be a firmware issue. I told them that in my reply.

http://www.facebook.com/SamsungCanada?sk=app_197366490279739

jimrebello
I Plan to Stick Around

Tested the GPS yesterday and it seems to be working fine now. I'm hoping it stays that way. I think the initial lock just took forever.

So, if your GPS isn't working, it might be worth getting your phone sent for repairs.

aboyaci
I Plan to Stick Around

Is your GPS working fine still? Has this issue been cleared with a software update? Im not sure if I should upgrade to 2.3.

ArtP
I've Been Here Awhile

Yes, the unit continues to work as well as it did before - which is to say "okay" but not the equal of a Tomtom GPS, for example.

I now suspect that the long time to get a lock is a function of how often you use the feature; in other words, if it isn't used for a long time, it can take a long time to get that initial lock. I have taken to leaving my GPS enabled all the time. It doesn't seem to drain the battery much and locks happen much quicker now.

Hope this helps....!

Thaseus
I've Been Around

http://forums.att.com/t5/Samsung/Samsung-Captivate-2-3-5-Gingerbread-and-Freezes/td-p/3028507

Go on this site, scroll down until you see the huge screen captures, and follow the steps. I had a useless GPS, and it fixed it. It is NOT firmware that is the issue really, it is some settings. It was taking me 5-10minutes to get a signal, but now indoors, I can get one in 5-10seconds with a 20-30meter accuracy.