GPS on Samsung Captivate with Android 2.3.3 Not Working

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Emilio
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: GPS on Samsung Captivate with Android 2.3.3 Not Working

Hi Guys,

I have a Samsung Captivate and upgraded to 2.3.3.  I have noticed my battery is starting to drain daily when I am not a heavy user.  Used to be able to charge the battery once every 2-3 days and now I am stuck with having it fully charged at 7am, only to receive an alert that I need to plug it in for charge at 7pm.  Does anyone have any instructions on how to revert back to 2.2.  Like others on this site, upgrade didn't go smoothly where a back up wasn't created. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

EF

BuckMacklin
I'm a Reliable Contributor

My GPS was slow to lock, but I downloaded a free app GPS status. This way I could watch the progress. It took a long time, but finally locked. Now the GPS seems to be fine. Maybe better than before.
glears
I Plan to Stick Around

So I contacted Samsung and the rep told me to reset my phone to factory settings and it should correct the issue.  I really don't feel like loosing all my stuff and Kies sucks so bad and I don't trust it to back  anything up.  Has anyone attempted to reset to factory and have their GPS start working?

tonyv2003
I've Been Here Awhile

Samsung gave me this code (*2767*3855#) to dial on my phone and did a reset factory and now my gps is working fine .

jimrebello
I Plan to Stick Around

I had the same problem I did a factory reset and it fixed it for a few days, then the problem came back and is just as bad. Samsung better hurry up and release a Firmware fix because I don't intend to doing a factory reset every other week.

jimrebello
I Plan to Stick Around

Just got off with tech support, they are telling me to send my phone in for repair and that there is no update planned to fix the GPS issue.

I'm going to be really unhappy if it comes back and is still not working. I had the HTC Magic before this phone, and it had issues too. Not to mention the LG Eve on my account that barely functions....

ArtP
I've Been Here Awhile

I have had the same issue: GPS worked ok (not great -- better when used walking around than in a car, for example) with 2.2 and 2.1 but will not lock on satellites at all now that I have upgraded to 2.3.

I have been around the track a few times with Samsung and Rogers, each saying that I should deal with the other (finger pointing). Finally got some good advice, though no solution, from another Rogers tech this morning.

Hopefully, when Samsung/Rogers sees that a number of us are having the same issue, they might realize there is something wrong and come up with a fix. This isn't exactly new technology and it used to work so how hard can it be?

Does anyone know of an alternate "maps" application, in case that is the underlying issue?

Hmm
I Plan to Stick Around

I am inclined to believe there will be NO futher updates to the Captivate. This update of Gingerbread is likely the last update we will see. For those who are still within warranty, it may make u feel better to send the unit in for repair but these firmware issues will not be fixed.  If there was a way to go back to the previous version that would probably help, but I strongly believe all of us with the Captivate are now SOL. This is my second Samsung smartphone and both are POS.  This is my last Samsung Smartphone and likely my last Android device, with maybe the exception of a maybe an Android Tablet running Ice Cream (gotta love the names-NOT). Android is way too volitile and Samsung does not seem to be too interested in customer support. I just hope HTC kicks Samsung's butt big time and Samsung ends up like Nokia.

ArtP
I've Been Here Awhile

After a couple of days of failure to get my GPS to function on my Galaxy S after installing gingerbread, I posted my experience to share with others who might have the same problem, or ideas for fixes / work arounds.

After another couple of days, on a lark, I downloaded the "GPS Test" app from the Market. I had previously downloaded "GPS Status" but saw no effect but figured what the heck, try something else.

Within a couple of minutes, my phone was seeing satellites and after another minute, had established a strong lock - and this from inside my house, let alone outdoors.

I further tested this morning using the navigation software and, other than frequently losing / re-acquiring the lock, overall, it pretty much worked as expected.

I doubt GPS Test had anything to do with this (more likely just coincidence) but regardless, the GPS on my phone is now working as it did before the gingerbread update.

Maybe something got updated "over the air"?

Anyway, fyi for those following this discussion....

BuckMacklin
I'm a Reliable Contributor

There is a file, I think it is called GPSFIX that keeps the list and data most recent GPS satellites confirmed.   This is why it takes so much longer to get a fix if you change locations while the phone is off (Fly to a new city for example).  I really think that the GB update didn't create the file properly, but these other apps do.

Like I say, it fixed mine pretty good.  I place mine phone pretty deep between the seats when I drive, and Latitude kept a good lock on my location.