GDR2 update for Lumia phones

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: GDR2 update for Lumia phones

He just replied:

"Sorry for the confustion. The ATIV's is out and the 920 will follow but we don't have any ETA at this time."

I Plan to Stick Around

I think Nokia wanting to include it's Amber update with GDR2 delayed things.

However, it seems like the update for the 920 is on Nokia's servers and if you really want to, you can lose all your data and flash it onto your phone. I don't think it's worth it though. I'm just gonna wait until Rogers does their thing and lets Microsoft send out the update.

I Plan to Stick Around

The update ia officially out http://conversations.nokia.com/2013/08/15/green-light-for-lumia-amber/ I hope that Rogers will give a date for the release in Canada... Yes I know I'm daydreaming...
I Plan to Stick Around

It's stated on the Nokia website page you just linked that it is expected by Nokia that the GDR2 Amber update will reach all carriers by the end of september.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Lumia 920       Rogers1232.5962.1314.0000        Coming soon

This is what is showing on Nokia's Amber update page. Rogers what is this garbage? Even the 520 is listed as "Waiting for approval.

Get on the ball. This is sad.

I Plan to Stick Around

here's the status page, i don't know the order but it seems to be: waitng for approval, coming soon, available

http://www.nokia.com/global/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-north-americ...

I Plan to Stick Around

That's what I just said matthieugd, the 920 is the flagship phone for Rogers. Why is it taking so long? Carriers are ruining WP8, except in Europe where people seem to be on the ball. 

I Plan to Stick Around

I put the link so everyone can look at the status page. Rogers, like AT&T, have never put any real effor to promote Windows Phone, it's a sad story but it looks that it will never change.

I Plan to Stick Around

Really hope the next time I upgrade there is a flagship Lumia on a different carrier.

I Plan to Stick Around

Not that I want to defend Rogers here but I've seen these kinds of posts where people are complaining about the time it's taking for them to release an update for this phone, in particular GDR+Amber. So here's my take on it:

• GDR2 was released around April and didn't get pushed to non-Nokia phones for about 1.5 to 2 months.
  • Nokia decided to bundle the Amber update (which is significantly more than just GDR2) with its GDR2 offerings, which delayed the release. This is Nokia doing more for the customers and I am quite happy with the amount of work they put into the phones. It's significantly more content, some of which you may not care about but they don't necessarily cater to an individual, they cater to the masses (needs of the many outweigh the needs of the view *nerd glasses*). For a somewhat detailed breakdown visit http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/237693-official-lumia-920-gdr2-amber-update-thread.html to understand the differences.
  • Amber+GDR2 JUST started rolling out to devices via legitimate channels yesterday; previously only leaked versions were available via Nokia Care Suite and still these were not for the RM-820 phones, I only seen ROMS available for RM-821. From what I can discern as well it still looks like only RM-821 devices are getting the official updates. No RM-820 devices that I know of receiving the update, however I certainly may be wrong on this.
  • Frankly, and this is a personal opinion, I'd rather other people get it first and let it screw up their phones before I do; far to many times have I been the "early adopter" *cough windows vista cough lumia 900 cough* and gotten screwed in the end.
  • Releases like this, including Google (Android) and iPhone updates are released in stages as not to flood the networks. I've seen it on my nexus devices where they release an O/S upgrade and I don't see the update for a couple weeks but my buddy next door gets its 5 days before I do. This is very common practice it seems in mobile devices.
  • However, 3 variables I am uncertain of are: 1) How long ago was this actually update provided to Rogers to approval. 2) What steps does Rogers undertake when approving a firmware release for a device and 3) On Nokia's site it states "coming soon" with no differentiation between "coming soon" and "waiting for approval". There also appears to be no official word from Nokia about this either, only assumptions from blogs, twitter feeds, etc.

I'd love to see the update come out sooner rather than later but seeing as the update was just officially released OTC yesterday im patiently and confidently awaiting the update for my 920. I too am quite excited for the new features and would love a fresh lease of life on my phone.