Frustrated Samsung Galaxy s3 user

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Frustrated Samsung Galaxy s3 user

Main issue??? Email account. I am unable to send outgoing mail from my phone while out of wifi area. I am with Rogers as my cell provider, and cogeco for home email.  I spent 11/2 hours on the phone with 3 different Rogers tech support who ranged to knowing nothing to seeming to know what they were talking about only to be told I have to call Cogeco and ask them about their outgoing server, who then proceeded to tell me I need to talk with Rogers.

I restarted my phone, deleted the email account to retry to no avail.  I had an Iphone where I was able to send and receive emails wherever I was so to NOT be told by my local Rogers dealer about this potential problem when I upgraded could have been a deal breaker if I upgraded to this phone or not.  I like all other aspects of the phone but NOT the email part.

I was also told to just forward emails to my G mail account and then send them off but the issue is still the same if Im out of wifi area!!!!!!!! duh!!! and what a pain that is, I shouldn't have to jump through hoops to use my email!!

I am going to raise a stink and go up the tree if need be, not sure if Samsung has any say in issues.  I may just return the phone if there is no work around of this.

PS>>> a friend has the same phone and has NO ISSUES!!! she uses cogeco for home email and Bell as her cell phone provider...... a switch may be in order........ Rogers may lose a customer after many years.

Sorry to rant but when I talk to 3 different people and my problem isn't solved there is an issue.  If any one has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Very Frustrated phone owner.

Lisa

***Edited Labels***

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Frustrated Samsung Galaxy s3 user

So are you using Gmail for your email or are you using Cogeco? Are you using the standard email app or the gmail app?

If you're using the standard email app, are you sure you put in the correct settings for SMTP in order to send mail? If it works when you're on WiFi I'm assuming you mean the Cogeco WiFi at your home. If you're using Cogeco for your email the problem would be with Cogeco not allowing the third party internet connection (Rogers wireless) to send using your account. That would indeed be a cogeco issue and something they could help you setup.

This has little to nothing to do with your phone/type of phone/software on your phone.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

That is a Cogeco issue and you'll need to call them, as I had Cogeco, and had that issue myself.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I tried both and each are blaming each other if anyone uses cogeco as home email and is a rogers
Customer could you provide me with your settings for both incoming and outgoing servers??

I was told I would have to turn my WiFi on and off to send my emails!! Not acceptable.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@ techsaavvy and what was their answer to you??
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I was on the phone with Rogers deleting and readding the email account with different outgoing stmp types I talked to 3 different people. On the Cogeco end they didn't offer any solution except saying it was a Rogers issue and to call them back.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

gave up trying to add Cogeco email to my Rogers Cell phone as it's purely Cogeco issues with their settings..i Just use gmail, and hotmail email acccounts works perfectly! Didn't much care for Cogeco email any way!
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Cogeco is the main e-mail account we use as a family so not having that capability can be an issue especially when I need to respond to an email when I am out of the house.

I was able to use all my email accounts with my iphone it gave me options to set up different smtp settings for WiFi and and 3 g so then why is it a cogeco issue??
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I had 3 email accounts set up on my iPhone

Cogeco
Yahoo
Gmail

And no problems
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

http://www.cogeco.ca/web/on/en/residential/support/faq.php?id=29

There are the settings for Cogeco. Cogeco home internet e-mail, like Rogers, probably restricts the use of their SMTP servers to Cogeco IPs. That means you will need a different SMTP server for when you're not on their network. You can call Cogeco and tell them you're trying to setup your laptop to send mail from your office which uses a different provider and see what they say.