cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Froyo (2.2) does NOT fix random shutdown on Captivate

JB
I Plan to Stick Around

FYI. Installed 2.2 last night. My Captivate has randomly shut down three times in the past 12 hours (I uninstalled Captivate Keep Alive to test it out).

I don't see what the issue is and I find it very disconcerting that a third party app to ensure your phone functions correctly.

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Froyo (2.2) does NOT fix random shutdown on Captivate

alexx
I Plan to Stick Around

It's probably your phone's hardware issue/defect. I'm running the 2.1 right now, and I've never experienced a random shut down...

So my guess is that the replacement should solve this problem.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Senseless
I Plan to Stick Around

I too have the same problem.  Froyo 2.2 did not fix my random shutdown issues.  I installed the update last night, and my phone shutdown on me once today so far.

I'll be getting my replacement soon tho, I hope that'll fix my problems.

JB
I Plan to Stick Around
Hmmm, so they are sending out replacements for it? Is there a way to transfer settings/apps from one phone to another or do you have to re-set it all up?

Wonder how well my InvisiShield will come off one and go on another phone too hah. Guess I'll have to put a call in to Rogers then.

Thanks for confirming/additional info!

alexx
I Plan to Stick Around

It's probably your phone's hardware issue/defect. I'm running the 2.1 right now, and I've never experienced a random shut down...

So my guess is that the replacement should solve this problem.

JB
I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah, I had mine since launch and it started the random shut downs about mid-December...

wpgsteve
I Plan to Stick Around

it seems like the people who got the phones right when they came out suffer the random shut downs, it is prob the internal sd card overheating and the thermal fuse is shutting it down.

JB
I Plan to Stick Around
Interesting theory... how would Captivate Keep Alive work then? And it seems to only happen if the phone is above 85% battery level...

Senseless
I Plan to Stick Around

Since my last post, my phone has shutdown 3 more times.

JB, fortunately for me, I keep most of my stuff on my external SD card.  You can also export your contacts there from your phonebook.  As for your apps, I don't think there's much you can do, but to reinstall these apps after you get your new phone.

I do believe it's a hardware issue, but like you said, not sure if it's overheating of the SD card.  Captivate keep alive is a good short term solution, but like you said, it shouldn't be the final solution.  I am looking forward to getting my new phone so I can move on..  this process has been quite troublesome for me.

JB
I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah, my contacts already sync with my Google account... more so the apps and the settings on those apps, have an external card for music and some of my other stuff.

Good luck with the new phone!

BGrant
I Plan to Stick Around

@wpgsteve wrote:

it seems like the people who got the phones right when they came out suffer the random shut downs, it is prob the internal sd card overheating and the thermal fuse is shutting it down.

I've had mine since launch and it never shuts down on its own.

BGrant
I Plan to Stick Around

Link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=884289

Date Published: December 20, 2010
Manufacturer(s): Samsung
Model(s): i897 (Captivate)
Issue Type: Informational

Issue Summary

AT&T and Samsung are working together on a power off issue on the Samsung i897 Captivate. There is a small group of Samsung i897 Captivate devices which may experience power off when in standby mode. All devices manufactured after November 6, 2010 should not have this issue. Most customers are not expected to see an issue, however the following IMEI range could potentially have the issue and AT&T and Samsung want to ensure these customers have the best possible experience and quickly address customer care inquiries should they arise:

IMEIs manufactured before November 6, 2010: 352982040855394 or lower - 5393, 5392, etc.

If customers reports that their device is powering off when in standby mode please assist them with exchanging their device.

SKU: 65187

Critical Must Know/Must Do

Customer/Embedded Base: If a customer has the power off issue when in standby mode please exchange their device. Customers with the launch software version i897UCJF6 are more apt to have the standby power off issue. Meanwhile customers that have devices manufactured after November 6, 2010 should have software version i897UCJH7 which fixes the Power Cycling related to SW issues.
Existing Product: All devices that were manufactured before November 6, 2010 have the potential to be affected.
New Product: Devices manufactured after November 6, 2010 should not experience this issue.
Distribution Center: No action necessary.
Channel Instructions

Company Owned Retail: Continue to sell through existing inventory. If a customer has the power off issue when in standby mode please exchange their device.
Dealers: No action necessary.
National Retail: No action necessary.
Direct Fulfillment: Continue to sell through existing inventory. If a customer has the power off issue when in standby mode please exchange their device.
Customer Returns and Exchanges: Standard under 30-day returns are in effect for this issue.
Accountability/Responsibility

Distribution Centers: No action necessary.
Channels/Markets: Adhere to Standard Operating Procedures.
Returns Processing Center: Adhere to Standard Returns Processes.
Supply Chain: Please send questions or comments to SCM Product Advisory.

theimmortal
I've Been Here Awhile
I think it's a hardware problem. Had my first captivate replaced because of shutdowns and havent had my new Captivate shutdown even once. Solid device once you get good one. T
Topic Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 6 in conversation