Frequently must reset the network adapter "wireless network connection"

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Frequently must reset the network adapter "wireless network connection"

I have been having continuing problems with connecting to the internet since I received the Hitron CGN2.  After reading all the concerns with poor connection, freezing etc on the Rogers’ forum, I decided to follow the suggestion to Bridge the gateway.  That was done on Tuesday.  The Rogers tech told me that they would not be able to help if I had a router problem.  I hooked up my 5 year old Belkin router and everything seemed to work.  So today when I tried to get online this message appeared: There may be a problem with your Domain Name Server (DNS) configuration. Windows failed to find the well known host www.microsoft.com using DNS.  Would this be caused by the Hitron modem or my Belkin router?

I am not computer literate and so followed the help suggestion to turn off the computer & modem x 10 seconds and then the router.  Once all was turned back on I had an excellent connection but Local access only for my home network, no internet access.

Tried diagnostics and got this: Windows did not find any problems with this computer's network connection.  Reset the network adapter "Wireless Network Connection"  Clicking on the Reset the Network adapter got me connected to the internet.  I have no idea what that means or why it happens nearly every morning. I often can stream with no problem in the afternoon.

All I want to do is stream my live daily workout videos from Breakthrough Health and Wellness.  From Mar to Nov I had no roblem with the previous Rogers modem and my Belkin router even at the other end of the house.  Around the beginning of Nov the streaming started to freeze or take forever to load or never actually load the video. 

Nov 20th we switched to the Nextbox for TV & the Hitron CGN2 that Rogers said we needed.  Now I often have a poor wireless connection at the other end of the house. I still cannot stream the videos at the far end of the house.   I did have Rogers bridge the gateway and went back to using my 5 yr old router.  Still have the streaming problem.  Rogers says it is the server for my workout not Rogers.

Any suggestions on what I should do?  I apologize for the long post.

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Frequently must reset the network adapter "wireless network connection"

First thought would be that the the router didnt connecct properly with the bridged gateway.. that you were getting a connection to the router.. but it wasnt talking out through the modem.

What is odd, is that it by reseting the network adapter (which is essentialy disable then re-enable) it does connect.  Since its not touching the router.. it MAY be the PC?

Here is a test, if you are able to do it.

Try a WIRED connection, and see if you get internet ok.  Try it with a fresh startup of the computer, etc.. and see if you are able to get out. 
this may lead back to something on the wireless as a whole.

I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry to take so long in replying.  When I am wire connected everything works well but I am stuck in our office. 

I called Rogers and the tech said something "was not right on the line, it could be the outside cable to the house"  so out comes a tech.  He connected a gadget to the outside box, I think.  Then did the same for the cable to the modem CGN2 at the outlet in the office.  Then did the same at the splitter in the basement.  He said that it was the internal cable from the splitter to my office that was the problem.  It must be split along the way and therefore it is my problem since they don't fish cable.  First, when we rewired our house we put a cable outlet in every room, except the bathroom lol.  Each is a single cable direct from the basement to the outlet.  There are no splitters on any of those lines.  The only splitter we have Rogers put in at the incoming cable that splits to the phone, office and TV.  To use the living room outlet we disconnected the office cable and connected the living room one.   Second we have no trouble when being closer to the modem.  so there is no way my cable is split, worn or the problem.

I have moved the modem and router to the front of the house and now have perfect connection and no problems streaming my morning video.  However, my husband cannot stream from the office and has a poor signal.  The modem and router are in our living room, not great.  We think the 2 thick brick walls that separate living area from the bedroom area with only a couple of door ways may be interfering.  Is there any solution to allow Wifi to both ends of the house with the bridged CGN2 and my 5 year old router?  Would a new router help and if so which would be the best?

Thanks so much for any advice.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its possible that the wire to there, could be wrecked.. even if there is something inbetween which maybe happened (a nail, etc that partialy pierced it, etc..

But all in all.. could just be a wireless issue period. The brick wall, etc that you said, could be enough.
When in the office, the signal is not strong enough for elsewhere...
And when in the living room, not strong enough for the office.

First step, would be to TRY a new router.  Dont have to go top of the line, but dont cheap out either.  Doesnt need all the bells and wistles.
I would sugest trying a dual band, as that gives you TWO options to try and connect to..the 5.8 and the 2.4 frequency range.

Buy the router, from a retail location like best buy or staples.  This would allow you to then RETURN it within 30 days, if it doesnt help the issue.

Beyond that.. it could be that its just a setup, which really need possibly more than ONE to give enough coverage.
There are ways, of setting up multiple wireless access points.. but would require getting a network cable from the living room router to the office (though i guess there are alternaitves like the powerline ones).
I would give replacing the router a try... and then go from there.. i can help with the other options, if you want to try them.

I Plan to Stick Around

We had a surprise visit from a Rogers GTA Quality Assurance Inspector yesterday.  He knew about my troubles and could tell from his truck that my internet was not ideal.  He looked at everything from the outside box to the living room.  He will be doing a detailed list for another home visit and promised he would make sure the tech spoke and understood English and would set me up properly for the TV and internet.   He also explained how we could have our VCR connected to the old TV and still use the Nextbox.  He said the tech was wrong to say our cable was at fault and in fact all our internal cables are working well.  I don't know why Rogers bothers with contractors when they just whip in and out and really don't fix the problems.

He said that perhaps I needed the newer Hitron gateway because of the brick walls but he wasn't really familiar with it and I should check it out with Rogers and ask for a deal since this CGN2 is not doing the job.  So I'll give Rogers until next Monday to see what happens.  He did say some sort of range extender/amplier for the modem might help but again he did not have personal experience with them.

Does this sound plausible to any of you?

I Plan to Stick Around

He said that perhaps the newer Hitron gateway might be better because of the brick walls but he wasn't really familiar with it and I should check it out with Rogers and ask for a deal since this CGN2 is not doing the job. So I'll give Rogers until next Monday to see what happens. He did say some sort of range extender/amplier for the modem might help but again he did not have personal experience with them.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well its completely possible you had a bad tech.  There is such a mixed bag of them.   A good one will do their job, know everything, and test everything properly, etc...
Others make assumptions and are lazy..

Him recomending the hitron... eh.. yes/no.
The new hitron, is a dual band wireless.. much like i mentioned above.

Do you HAVE to get their dual band gateway and spend more? No.

You could get a 3rd party one just as easily (and might work better still).

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_1046_1047&item_id=044938
(you can buy it anywhere.. i am just posting one stores page for it)
This is probably one of the BEST reviewed dual band routers out there... likely my next replacement router when i descide to swap mine. (currently linksys e2500 dual band)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Oh.. dont worry about that . in there removing your word.... i am currently PMing with RogersMargaret..   apparently the spam bad word filter is acting up.  . .

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for your reply and the website.  I think you are right that we should go with third party dual band wireless if that is what is needed.  I will certainly look into it.  Honestly all this bother just because I want to stream a video to do my exercises at the other end of the house far away from the modem..LOL