cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fox News HD

Normb101
I've Been Here Awhile

Why is Fox News HD not available on Rogers ?

I have been asking this question for quite a few years and have never been able to get an answer.

Fox News has been broadcasting in HD for years, yet for some reason, Rogers will not add the channel.

I'd much rather watch Fox News in HD than some of the other channels Rogers has, such as the Fireplace Channel etc....

***Edited labels***

109 REPLIES 109

Re: Fox News HD

Actually I had three people call in last night about the debates and wanting to watch them. According to the internet search I did, it was only airing on Fox BUSINESS News, which is a channel that ROGERS doesn't even carry.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

I don't know about Fox News, but BBC World News used to be available on VIP.  But it's a shame that only centre-left news channels are all that's available unless you subscribe to that news package. News should be impartial, or at least balanced.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

I don't know about Fox News, but BBC World News used to be available on VIP.  But it's a shame that only centre-left news channels are all that's available unless you subscribe to that news package. News should be impartial, or at least balanced.

Then thats a problem with the channels, isn't it?  Not Rogers.

Its not Rogers responsibility to make sure everyone has equal access to both the right wing and left wing nutjobs on tv.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Nope, the government and CRTC ensures the mandated channels only have the left wing nutjobs. Smiley LOL

@Gdkitty wrote:

was it available in even the regular VIP before?

Dont recall ever seeing it. (not that i would EVER watch fox news for actual news)

Fox News doesn't have actual news? I'm guessing you've never watched it.

shai167
I've Been Here Awhile

I have been asked this questions for ever but no one in Rogers care, they ignore this question.

In my Rogers bundles I pay for extra news pack, only to have FoxNews at channel 181.  Why this channel in Rogers Canada is not HD? in the same time other news channel are full HD?

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@shai167 Good luck with that. Canada's media industry is predominantly left-leaning.  Any news channels not of the same ideology are not considered legitimate news, but freak shows.

I'm getting a similar problem with PBS, which is certainly not right wing. I like to watch Austin City Limits, but most of the channels that air it at no extra cost, like WQLN, Rogers only have in SD.  Channel 525 WNED, which is HD, doesn't have it regularly.

billmcintyre
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I'm replying to a VERY OLD post in this thread (from 2012 - post #7 - where @angelus_025 says (regarding Fox News) "You will be much better informed if you watch the Fireplace Channel over Fox News, or you can just make things up in your head, that is the equivalent of what you will get if you actually watch the channel."

It's funny that you say this, angelus, because studies have shown that viewers of Faux Noise actually KNOW LESS than people who WATCH NO NEWS AT ALL.  Studies of the audiences of various news shows note that those who watch Fox News are the LEAST well informed group out of everybody - and the audience who watch Rachel Maddow are the BEST informed.

billmcintyre

And when is the Canadian Sun Media news channel going to be in HD?   Oh - wait a minute ....

billmcintyre

Maybe this is something you should ask Fox News, rather than Rogers.  It may be about licensing, or about availability - and one thing you may not be aware of - is Fox programming has ALWAYS been YEARS behind other stations in providing HD to their customers.  You may not have noticed, but almost 10 years after almost every channel went High Def, many of the Fox channels were STILL displayed in terribly looking low definition resolution.

This trend continues today with UFC events on the Fox channels.  Even though they are now in HD - the Ultimate Fighter series displays their fights in INCREDIBLY low frame rate - such that the fighters jitter from frame to frame.  I don't know how low the frame rate is - but it is very, very apparent - and it's not just an issue of this happening with one type of TV.  It happened with both of my old TV's (which were DLP rear projection and LCD rear projection) and it's still happening with my new TV's - which are LED LCD's.

It seems that the Fox executives are old fogies who probably still have 14 inch CRT's themselves - and I've been irritated that Fox channel operators showed their customers considerable disrespect by assuming their customers didn't care about picture quality.

But it may be that Fox channel viewers may be older than average - and the viewing audience of Fox News in particular are MUCH, MUCH OLDER than the average TV viewer.  The average Fox News viewer is close to 60 years old.

It really is true - what Jon Stewart used to say:  "Your crazy old uncle who watches Fox News will be complaining this week about ....."

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@billmcintyre you're probably right about the originating network being at fault in not broadcasting a high quality HD signal. But since the digital migration, there's no excuse for Rogers not making HD standard across the board with all the bandwidth now available.

billmcintyre

I really think a big part of it is the Fox bigwig execs are stingy old guys who don't understand why the 'young crowd' wants those new-fangled big TV's.

I think they didn't want to spend the money on new cameras and all the other stuff required to upgrade their signal to HD.

I think they are dinosaurs.

And, frankly, it always offended me that they didn't respect my wish for a high quality image when watching TV.   And I was one of the FIRST people to go HD with a form of progressive scanned higher definition TV years before almost anybody else had them.   Many of you may not even be aware of the line of Proscan large screen TV's that were running their own firmware to take existing signals and turn them into progressive displays.  This was several YEARS before anybody else was producing anything like HD.

And I think I'm one of the few people who started connecting their computer to their TV - starting, oh, probably 14 years ago.  As I write this - I'm using a cordless keyboard and surfing the web on a 75 inch 4K TV - and I'm viewing this page at 60 Hz in 3840 by 2160.

So, I, more than most people, really hate Fox for not appreciating good quality picture image.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Well, I see Fox as the poor cousin of the Big Three networks, like Chrysler was in the heyday of domestic auto production. They likely have less resources.

ZRSR
I've Been Around

We want FoxNews Please 

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

I second the motion. The only news channels offered by Rogers at no additional cost are CBC, CTV and CNN, all of which are left-leaning. We need balanced news.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Does rogers have a channel request form of any sort? I know other providers, you would have to call in and give the info to the CSR over the phone and he or she will submit the info into a channel request form they use and it will be collected and reviewed to see which channels are high in demand

Ravi1
I've Been Around

Why we don't get Fox News hd and also bbc world is not high definition

Rob16
I'm Here A Lot

I just added FOX news to my channels and discovered it is only in SD? For such a large and popular news channel how can this be? CNN is in HD why not FOX? 

Thanks

Rob16
I'm Here A Lot

Just reading through this - Does Rogers ever respond? 

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Rob16

Rogers does respond on here.

It could be a contract between Fox and Rogers and Fox wanting more money from Rogers to carry the HD channel. Read through the posts.

Hi @Rob16,

Welcome to the Community :)!

At this time we have no updates on when Fox News would be available in HD on our network. However you're more than welcome to share your suggestion here.

RogersZia

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats