Found an antenna for the ZTE MF28B

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Found an antenna for the ZTE MF28B

Hey, this sounds too good to be true. Has anyone tried one of these antennas. The major components are not new, but there is now a "patch" that can be applied over the front of the Hub that supplies the ampified signal (by induction I would guess). Has anyone tried one of these - or even seen one?

http://www.rfconnectionshop.com/products/mm/antenna-amplifier-kit-for-hub-without-external-antenna-p...

***Edited labels***

I'm an Advisor

Re: Found an antenna for the ZTE MF28B

@Geezer:

too good to be true?  I think not!  I agree with your technical appraisal of the approach.

But the ZTE MF28B sounds like just another Rogers piece of junk masquerading as a reasonable solution to cellular network connectivity.

To put it plainly, the ZTE MF28B needs an external antenna connector designed/built in.

$395 for this solution is just way over the top.  I'm not arguing that this kind of approach won't work.  My beef is that it is just too expensive, not to mention too complicated.  Just remember that the more components you add, the more the chances are that something will fail.

skinorth

I Plan to Stick Around

Roger's tried to sell me a ZTE earlier in the year even though LTE is not available in this area.  The Roger's rep went on to tell me that I would most likely get a stronger signal using the LTE based hub until LTE was available here.  Hard to believe that statement indeed.  I have a Bell Hub that I use for work and that was fairly reliable, though the signal would at time drop, but a reboot or reconnect would fix that.  I have the Roger's Netcomm and while it was fine for the first month or so it degraded to the point where it was basically unusable.  Rather than get an external antenna dedicated to the Roger's hub I opted for an antenna/booster setup.  The Yagi antenna is on the roof and is wired directly to a booster inside the house.  The booster is in turn wired to another antenna located in the house.  My Roger's hub and my Bell hub as well as all my cell phones now get their signal from the interior antenna in my home rather than directly from the cell tower.  For the first time since using either hub I now can get a full signal.  It will occasional drop down to medium on the Rogers hub or green on the Bell hub but the Rogers hub is at least useable now and quite good much of the time.  I would assume this would be the better solution for anyone with a ZTE with no antenna hookup and as far as I can see it's the preferred solution for all hubs.  At least in my case it was.  No point in paying for something that doesn't work. 

Mind you the booster/antenna solution is not cheap but for me it works and that's the main thing.  I also get the added benefit of having everyone's cell phone work in the house as well as I more than often had to step outside the house to get a constant signal. 

I went with a Uniden setup.  You get two months to try it out, full refund if it doesn't meet your needs and they pay the return shipping.  I went with the U4 model but there are various models to choose from and one specifically for LTE.  There are packages or you can purchase what you want selectively.   I believe Costco has a few Uniden cell booster packages available on their online shopping site as well. 

Hope this helps somebody, it certainly helped me.

http://cellularbooster.ca/index.php

I Plan to Stick Around

> Roger's rep went on to tell me that I would most likely get a stronger signal using the LTE based hub

> until LTE was available here.  Hard to believe that statement indeed. 

In my experience, what the Roger's rep told you is correct.  Our ZTE hub does pull in the signal much better than the Ericsson did.  Whether it is enough to give you decent performance in your location, I can't say, but it made a big difference here.  And although we are not in an LTE area, our download speed at the best of times ('though not all the time) is significantly better.  Your solution, however, benefits all your devices, not just the Rocket Hub.

I Plan to Stick Around

I concur. The ZTE is noticeably faster at loading web pages and doing downloads than the old W35. But remember the W35 is strictly a 3G device whereas the ZTE does 4G which is quite a bit faster (even without LTE). I find it is worth the upgrade cost. But whereas the coverage map shows I am in a LTE Max zone, I have yet to get an LTE signal.

I've Been Here Awhile

This will be great for boosting 4G signal. But I warn that it's almost impossible for the ZTE MF28B get LTE signal in a rural area with trees.

I'm just hoping that the ZTE is only a placeholder until Rogers acquires some 700mhz spectrum. Once they do, I hope to see a proper device that has 2 external antenna ports for MIMO

I've Been Around

I'm in the process of installing zBoost YX550 VLTE at my house in Uxbridge where the LTE signal strength in the house is 1 bar. I'll report back when i'm done, but i'm essentially just boosting the signal within the house from a roof mounted external antenna. This will allow me to place the ZTE MF28B anywhere within range of the datablast base unit that amplifies the signal in the house.

I'm also using a DLink router in this setup, but that's probably non-essential to this thread.

I'll report back when i'm done with the test setup.

Nuno

I've Been Around

i cant use my rogers MF28B modem with my digicel chip how to get it unlocked

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 in conversation