Forced Data for pictures

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Re: Forced Data for pictures

Great thanks maude, but i don't see your screenshots!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Ah! I searched for a good while and couldn't find any sort of cellular tab with edit MMS APN so I went through each setting page looking for something similar assuming it's just the version I'm running on. Under mobile + SIM I get:

"Active network - data connection (on/off) - view internet APN - data roaming options - highest connection speed - for limited wifi connectivity - SIM settings."

So I chose SIM settings, I got "SIM name - network selection - mobile connection profile - manual internet APN: off" then an option at the bottom to add an MMS APN. 

I chose this (like you suspected) and entered the settings that you suggested. I have no way to tell if it's working or not. Is there a way for me to check? Thank you, it looks like we're on the right track! 

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Great!

The way we would test is by seeing if you are still able to send picture messages, then monitoring your data usage.

To be safe, i would say go to the Internet APN section on your phone and put an incorrect one in, such as "test.apn". This way as @EhmTeeEhf stated, your phone wouldn't actually connect to the full data portion of the network but still be connected to MMS data portion to allow picture messages.

RogersAsif

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Aye, no cigar. Tried to send a picture message and got the same message I get when the data switch is toggled off. 

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

@Holliate

So you got the message as if your data was off, but its on?

RogersAsif

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry, should have clarified. Got the "Can't send message Try again" that appears when it's turned off. Reappears no matter how many times I attempt to send. 

The switch is on.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Smiley Sad

Ya, pictures messages work over the data network so it needs to be on. When you had the MMS APN configured, did you see a 3G data symbol? or any other data symbols?

Try things one more time. Enter the MMS APN settings below, leave your Internet settings blank. Turn off Wi-Fi and make sure Data is on and see if you have a data symbol on your status bar(we need this for the picture message to work). If you see it, try and send another picture. I also provided the Internet settings below if you want to revert back to default. Tech Support also has the ability to push the default settings back to you in case you have difficulty going back to the normal settings.

MMS Settings

• APN: media.com
    • Username: media
    • Password: mda01
    • MMS Gateway Address: 172.25.0.107
    • MMS URL: http://mms.gprs.rogers.com
    • MMS Proxy: 10.128.1.69

Internet Settings

• APN: rogers-core-appl1.apn
  • Username: blank
  • Password: blank

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

*Heavenly beams shine out of the sky while glorious white robed angels fly joyously through the clouds. Barely missing each other as they crane their necks down to read their successfully received picture messages*

This last setting didn't work until I turned off the wifi. Took these shots before I tried disabling wifi like you suggested. Picture message sent and received. Tried the same method but with test.apn and though I was given a 3G signal, I still wasn't able to send picture messages. Not sure how to go about monitoring it to see if it's blocking the extra charges. Hopefully if this works then this picture will help somebody! 

http://tinypic.com/r/2lbollc/8

Should I reset my data sense limit to 1MB and see if it gets eaten up? 

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Nice @Holliate

But with the core apn installed you will still accumulate background data.

Essentially what i was trying to do was see if the phone had any way to not use the "Internet APN" and only use the "MMS APN", hence my suggestion of trying to leave it blank. Therefore, you can avoid the extra background data because the full Internet settings wouldn't be in the device.

It doesn't look like its possible with the device you are usingSmiley Sad

RogersAsif

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

So it's impossible? I'm still being charged for accumulating background data? God, I'm so peeved. I just wish I hadn't put this credit on the phone because it is literally being stolen from me. 

Thank you for trying.

This is my first Rogers/Nokia/Lumia experience and I'm regretting the entire thing.