Forced Data for pictures

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Forced Data for pictures

I have a nokia lumia prepaid rogers phone. It's new. I bought a 100 credit to keep in the account to pay for my 20$/month free texting/picture/video messaging plus free local weekend calling.

Here's my problem. I can't receive or send pictures without having the data enabled on the mobile + sim settings tab. I don't try to access the internet, but the phone automatically forces data usage in the background regardless of my having anything open or not. I am pretty disturbed by the cleverness in this setup. Now, my credit - the credit I had planned to save - is being eaten away every second that I have that data switch enabled.

Is thereanyway that I could make absolute certain that not even a cent of data is being used while that switch is on? I think an important notice of this should be provided for customers as they choose their prepaid plans. 

Help would be very appreciated.

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Forced Data for pictures

Smiley Sad

Ya, pictures messages work over the data network so it needs to be on. When you had the MMS APN configured, did you see a 3G data symbol? or any other data symbols?

Try things one more time. Enter the MMS APN settings below, leave your Internet settings blank. Turn off Wi-Fi and make sure Data is on and see if you have a data symbol on your status bar(we need this for the picture message to work). If you see it, try and send another picture. I also provided the Internet settings below if you want to revert back to default. Tech Support also has the ability to push the default settings back to you in case you have difficulty going back to the normal settings.

MMS Settings

• APN: media.com
    • Username: media
    • Password: mda01
    • MMS Gateway Address: 172.25.0.107
    • MMS URL: http://mms.gprs.rogers.com
    • MMS Proxy: 10.128.1.69

Internet Settings

• APN: rogers-core-appl1.apn
  • Username: blank
  • Password: blank

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @Holliate

Welcome to the CommunitySmiley Happy

What's the exact model of your Lumia?

Most Lumia devices has the ability to restrict background data by using the Data Sense setting. I would suggest turning on your data and restricting the background data.

Try following these steps(may vary by model)

1. Enter settings
  2. Look for system
  3. Tap set limit
  4. Toggle the setting on and choose always as the option

Visit this page here for some more tips on how to prevent your Lumia from accumulating data.

@brandonjbarnard any other insights you could add?

Hope this helpsSmiley Happy

RogersAsif

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Unfortunately I've set those from the beginning. I also asked the lady at Best Buy to ensure that no data is being taken from my phone, she turned the data sense off. Once I got it in my own hands I read the script and realized that it was a good thing to have that switched on, so I did. I also set the limit to "1 MB" since you can't set it to zero, but it just notified me that I had reached my limit - and I should probably be cautious or I might exceed my allowance. Basically saying "yep, saw it. still going." 

It's a Nokia Lumia 635.

Any other ideas?

Thank you so much for reading. 

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

I have an idea that may help. I have a nokia lumia 635 and i know that if you have the APN programmed to access the data network using for example: LTEmobile.apn and its setup on your phone then right away you phone will authenticate on the data network. Normal network traffic pings use 1kb of data and over the month this can add up to 50Mb of data as your phone will constantly try to access the network by checking status.

Here's what i would recommend, in the Lumia under message settings you should see an option to program a MMS apn, if your using it just for picture messaging you could try just entering the MMS settings in that area and leave the DATA apn under cellular and sim empty.

the mms settings are around here somewhere one min.... *** Remember put these in the MMS apn screen not the APN for data access ***

I am trying to attach a screenshot but its not letting me ><

APN: media.com
Username:media
Password:mda01
WAP gateway (URL): mmsproxy.rogers.com
WAP gateway port: 80

MMSC (URL): http://mms.gprs.rogers.com

MMSC port: 80

Maximum MMS size:

Now just so you know these settings are normally for classic phone with no data, but it might just work for you. Give it a try and let me know.

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Thanks for the information.

Great suggestion @EhmTeeEhf! Try it out @Holliate i believe it should work.

This comes down to a limitation of the phone software which is created by Microsoft.

In the Data Sense menu what app was continuing to use data? I am surprised it not actually restricting the data.

Devices with operating systems such as Android of iOS actually have the ability to individually stop applications from using data. For example you can completely restrict every single app from accessing data from the cellular data network.

But as @EhmTeeEhf mentioned the device still pings for small amounts of some data which is normal.

I tried to see if i could find any 3rd party applications that would add this feature, but didn't come up with much results.

Hopefully Microsoft will add this feature to their devices down the roadSmiley Sad

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Yep, @RogersAsif 

Microsoft has a understanding of the issues, i posted this in their Tech Support forums a while back when i had issues with the same thing. The reason i advised to try these settings, as they are not accessing the data network, they access the Mobile APN for messaging. This should work in theory, but test it out, if it works give me a thumbs up!

If not its not something i would quit working on, as @RogersAsif knows we worked together for a couple of years and he knows i never give up. 🙂

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Alright, here's what I've got under messaging settings.

* Text message backup - off/on toggle

* Download messages from (the past month) - greyed out

* SMS delivery confitmation - off/on toggle

* MMS deliery confirmation - off/on toggle

* Send MMS acknowledgement - off/on toggle (lets sender know that you've received the MMS.)

* Group text - off/on toggle

* Automatically download MMS - off/on toggle

* SMS centre number --

Not seeing anything that looks like what you're referring to. I really appreciate this, by the way. Thank you. 

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

OK maybe your running a different OS version than me, what do you see under the cellular and Sim page for MMS settings???

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

just another thought create a new apn with the settings i posted. try that? then let me know. weird you seem to have a totally different configuration than me...

Highlighted

Good afternoon @Holliate ,

Below explains how to configure the settings in order for MMS to work correctly on a Windows Phone :

• The first step is to delete the MMS APN settings that are currently there.
  • To get to the configuration, go to Settings ~ click on Cellular.
  • Swipe to the lower part of the screen to find “Edit MMS APN”.
  • Press the “X” at the bottom of the screen to delete the current settings.
  • After you delete the settings they still appear, so you need to reboot your phone.
  • After rebooting, go back to Settings ~ Cellular and “Edit MMS APN”.
  • You need to swipe down to get to all the fields.

Hope this helps !

RogersMaude