Fluctuating upload/packet loss on Xbox one

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Fluctuating upload/packet loss on Xbox one

Thats nothing that can be done from the back end.

You will have to push them to send a tech out to fix.. well whatever needs done (spitter, cables, etc)

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I can't seem to get rid of this dumb packet loss. I was originally having a moderate NAT with 70 down 20 up 80 ping and 1% packet loss. I changed my xbox to the dmv host and now I have an open NAT but still have the packet loss. Is there any way I can get rid of this packet loss so I can actually play online? I'm hoping I can or I might as well sell my xbox 😞

Thanks

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I have had a quick read through the thread and I dont think I saw the question that should be asked.

Do you have packet loss with any of your other devices? I realize it is easy to test and see from the XBone but have you done any traceroutes, continuous pings or even http://www.pingtest.net/ etc from a PC or laptop? There may be issues with your overall connection but only the online gaming will really make the issue noticable. With regular web browsing you may never detect 1% packet loss. 

You should verify it is not an issue with your entire connection and not just the XBone. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Ya I've already done that. I only get the packet loss on my xbox.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Have you done speetest and pingtest using servers locating in the Seattle Area? The XB will network test to Microsoft's data center in Seattle not their closest data center to you.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes I've done those tests to European servers and I don't have a problem. The only problem I am having it on is the xbox
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Strange that 1% packet loss is causing you that many issues on xblive though? Is the packet loss showing on the upload or the download? 

Even a good connection can have 1% packet loss to a given site. eg. send 100 pings to www.google.ca and drop 1 ping =1% packet loss. Congested routers will often drop pings they are lower priority protocol. I would be suprised if the 1% packet loss is the true cause your XBlive issues. 

While this is not recommended if you want to rule out firewall, UPNP etc you can put your modem into bridge mode and then connect the XB1 directly to the modem. The XB Will get a publicly routable IP with no firewall protection etc(hence why not recommended) but it would rule out any gateway functions that could cause the issue.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

That is the complete opposite from what I have heard and what I have experienced. Having packet loss is not good at all and always causes problems with online gaming. I literally can't stay on the EA servers for more than 10 minutes without disconnecting.

From what I understand and from what I've learned on the internet packet loss is bad whether it's 1% or 10%
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

And on the xbox it only says packet loss 1% doesn't show where
I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry I thought the connection test on the XB1 showed packet loss stats for up and down.

Also I should have clarified...you can have apparent packet loss when using pings and ICMP to test(lower priority traffic) however that doesn't mean you actually experience packet loss with TCP/UDP connections. Pings will drop on congested core routers if the CPU's are taxed so they are an indication that there may be issues but not always definitive.

I am wondering if the XB1s reliance on IPV6 may be part of the issue. My CGN3 is bridged so cannot look but do the CGN3's and ACR's have IPV6 enabled on their internal interfaces by default? If so the XB1 will try IPV6 first and once it cannot route past the gateway it will revert to IPV4(or it may even tunnel IPV6). That could be the 1% packet loss you are seeing. If you have not already done so try disabling IPV6 on the modem.

Also added a testing option to my last post. I would only do this to test and not leave long term.
While this is not recommended if you want to rule out firewall, UPNP etc you can put your modem into bridge mode and then connect the XB1 directly to the modem. The XB Will get a publicly routable IP with no firewall protection etc(hence why not recommended) but it would rule out any gateway functions that could cause the issue.