cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fast forward gets stuck

JEL
I Plan to Stick Around

Cisco box.  Basically missed two NFL games.  Recorded the games.  When I play back I fast forward through commercials and half time.  Problem is, it's then stuck in FF mode.  No buttons work, not even Power, either on remote or on box.  I rebooted but same problem when I tried to playback again.  I've had this happen on occasion in other programs but usually it goes for a while then gives me back control eventually.  Seems to be program-specific, i.e., it will happen over and over in one program while others have no problem.

***Edited labels***

25 REPLIES 25

Re: Fast forward gets stuck

Rogers_Kate
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

JEL have you experienced this issue on any other boxes?

Does anyone else in the community have suggestions?

Rogers_Kate

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
A few have reported this, but i have not.

Many of the newer boxes seem to be a lot more picky about signal. Some people have resolved issues by pointing more direct at it. Also glass front panels seem to sometime effect it.

JEL
I Plan to Stick Around

Never had this issue on the old boxes.  Of course, they had their own serious problems.  I exchanged them a couple of times at Costco.  The most recent time it had been replaced by the Cisco box.  Since then I've had this happen off and on occasionally on random programs, though not lately - until last week.  And as I said, it's program specific (so it can't be the glass or how I point the remote, etc.).  When it happens in a program it will always happen in that program but not others.  Only two cures: unplug the box and reboot or wait till it goes and goes and then it eventually reboots itself.  In any case, it's impossible to watch with FF and with something like a commercial-filled football game I give up and just delete it.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello JEL

I am having the same issue but with most of the recordings. Its been such frustrating thing because you would think Rogers could handle this... Its not the box or the remote. Its the software.

Yeah, its odd.. i have never had mine do that... FF to far, and due to slugish repsonse, not accept it in time, and have to go too far and have to rewind.

Which exact model do you guys have? Maybe there is some difference that way (as we all should have the same software version)

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
I have the 8642 NextBox HD PVR & the Nextbox HD Box. Both do the same exact thing. Even my buddy down the street has the same issue. Its not the box, its the software. The box i got was brand new. So 4 boxes i had having the same exact issue? Seems a software problem.

I would tend to agree that its primarily or most likely a software issue.

Just saying, i havent experienced it once, and i have had the new IPG on it since day one available... so SOMETHING on mine is omitting it?  we have heard a number of others on here complain of the same thing.. but not EVERY new IPG user (at least, that they have said).

So there has to be SOMETHING triggering it, but not on all.. software + area?

Im not trying to argue 🙂 just saying if it was 100% software, more likely 100% of the users would experience it? (like the insane lag that happened for a while (moreso than the normal)

JEL
I Plan to Stick Around

I have the Explorer 8642HD.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JEL wrote:

I have the Explorer 8642HD.

Sorry, should have been more specific 🙂 there are a couple of models of the 8642HD, with different sized hard drives.  I beleive it should be listed on the sticker on the back.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Gdkitty. It has nothing to do with the size of the hard drive. Mine was 160 and my new one is 500 GB size. I also searches google and i see Many usera complaining about the same exact issue.

Rogers is well aware of this issue and seems not to care.

JEL
I Plan to Stick Around

Mine records 40 hours HD, whatever drive size that is.

techguy001
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I just posted a forum entry yesterday with a very similar problem.

I narrowed my problem down to 1 channel that causes this, HDFOX.   Any recordings I make on this channel seems to cause the PVR (mine is an 8642HD with 500 GB) to not respond when fast forwarding or rewind.   

Although all these units are really slow since the Enhanced Guide upgrade at least they do eventually respond in most situations.   Whenever I record on this channel however the remote becomes useless once I start fast forwarding.   It eventually comes back but sometimes it has gone to the very end of the recording before it comes back to life.

You might want to see if you have the same situation.   What I did find however though is that if that same show is broadcasting on another channel at the same time that is not FOX, that recording will work fine.

Way too  many bugs on the new software on these devices.   The older software before the upgrade, although not perfect was far more stable overall.

JEL
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the tip.  It never occurred to me to look for that pattern, oddly enough.  I must be slipping.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
I wish that was the issue but for mine its most of the channels happening. I read somewhere last night that around thousands of users are having this issue. I wonder why Rogers has done NOTHING at all to fix this...

JEL
I Plan to Stick Around

Why should they bother?  It's not like you can switch to another cable company.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello JEL

Why you ask? Simple. Rogers has thousands of thousands on Cable customers. IF they really want us, they should give up a proper update for the cable boxes. I for one, really do not care how much i have to pay to cancel my cable. I rather go with a company that gives me HD channels i need & has support / IPG that has no issues like this.

Remember, we pay their paychecks. We are the REASON why Rogers is a cable provider. WIthout the customers, Rogers would be nowhere as soon enough they will be. Read threw their Facebook / twitter. You will see it.

techguy001
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Well I doubt that Rogers does any software development for these units.  They are lilkely at the mercy of their supplier with Cisco (formerly Scientific Atlanta) and their developers likely overseas.

Even though competitive pressures are causing Rogers to release new products often, there is no excuse for releasing any product onto its customer base without properly testing them and verifying quality.   There are other suppliers for these technologies and could apply more pressure to get some quality from Cisco.   I wonder if they do any testing at all when they receive new releases.

They seem to repeat these errors across the board with their services and not just TV services.   I've seen the same pattern with Internet cable devices so I agree that if they're not careful they won't have many customers left to pay for all this.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Even tho that is true, they should still have cared enough to notice the issues & bugs. I can guaranty they rushed into releasing it because Bell had theirs out already. They thought by pushing a OS full of bugs & issues would make people happy. In the end, many left Rogers & who ever is with them, are stuck with the bugs & issues.

Whoever is in control of all this, in my opinion should be fired. We pay their salaries. We pay their houses & bills. In the end its about us, not them. Without us, they are nothing to be honest.

AS for the the fast forwarding, i am still having issues like this. I really do not get how Rogers devs are not getting the hint of hundreds having this issue. 

Kdubovik
I Plan to Stick Around

LOL I just came on here to make a post about this.

I was in the other room when Bones just started (HDFOX) so I hit rewind to catch the first 5 minutes and the thing decides to go NUTS and won't stop rewinding! I'm into judge judy before I finally gave up and pulled the power plug on the thing. Of course making me now miss 12 minutes of the show instead of just 5 >=[

1010ng
I've Been Around
I noticed the runaway fast forward frustration I'm experiencing happens when all the lights are off and the room is illuminated only by the tv screen. During the day or when the lights are on I haven't had the problem. This is just what I've observed.
Topic Stats
  • 25 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 8 in conversation