cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fast Forward Recordings with Ignite TV Remote

clammydog
I Plan to Stick Around

Ignite was installed last week and so far apart from the odd TV picture freeze up everything seems to be working fine. 

I want to know if it's possible to fast forward recorded programming in 3 minute intervals just like the old remotes. This was a great feature for zooming past commercials. Thanks.

***Edited Labels***

-clammydog
I'm NOT a Rogers employee, my comments are my own.
44 REPLIES 44

Re: Fast Forward Recordings with Ignite TV Remote

Biollw
I'm an Advisor

Gave been watching one show for 20 episides on demand and NEVER has it been 10 mins. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Biollw wrote:

Gave been watching one show for 20 episides on demand and NEVER has it been 10 mins. 

That would only happen when your set-top box reverts back to the default 5-minute skip.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/get-to-know-xr11-remote

Page Up and Page Down:
- Jump several rows up or down in the guide and in other menu pages.
- Skip 10 minutes forward or back while watching Xfinity On Demand.
- Skip five minutes forward or back while watching any live TV or DVR recording.

On the other hand, if you configure the STB for 30-second skip, then that applies when watching live TV, recorded or On Demand content.

Biollw
I'm an Advisor

Ahh I see. All I want is the 30 sec page up to STAY at 30 Seconds

Easy chore.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Biollw I really don't know what causes the Xi6 to revert back to a 5-minute skip, only that this has been an ongoing issue for some for years now: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/XR15-30-second-skip/td-p/3154209

Which set-top box models do you have, Xi6-A or Xi6-T, or both?  If you have both variants, does this problem occur for you on both?

Just for info, I have ignite for 6 weeks now, and in those 6 weeks, the FF has never reverted, once I set it to 30 seconds.

3 different XI6-T in the house.

Biollw
I'm an Advisor

all 3 of my units are the Xi6-A. I have swapped them around because we use the one in the living room the most. And still it will revert to 5 mins. More use I guess and more chances to mess up.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Biollw wrote:

all 3 of my units are the Xi6-A. I have swapped them around because we use the one in the living room the most. And still it will revert to 5 mins. More use I guess and more chances to mess up.

The reason why I asked was that I do not recall ever losing the "30-second skip" on any of my Xi6-T set-top boxes and the last time that I recall this ever happening to me was with an Xi6-A.  However, I also only ever lost the setting a few times, not constantly.

My Xi6-A's all got replaced with the Xi6-T due to another issue, so I can't test to see if there are any differences between the two models.

Biollw
I'm an Advisor
Well I swapped living room with the bedroom xi6 a, got it setup,
Confirmed it was a 30 sec skip.
Watched a video using xi6 YouTube app.
When finished returned to TV and starta recording, press page up and bang, it was back to 5 mins.

Now added note, went to live TV, then back into another recording, stupid thing just went to 30 ssc skip. And hen paused live TV for a bit and it's 30 secs

Perhaps all my boxes should be replaced with t version and see what happens

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Biollw  If you have reliable steps to break the 30-second skip, then I would document them and send them to @CommunityHelps .  Configure the 30-second skip, power-cycle the box, confirm that the 30-second skip still works, perform the steps-to-reproduce, then confirm that the box reverted back to the default 5-minute skip.  Perform those same steps on another box to confirm that they reproduce reliably.

You can request a box swap.  However, you currently have STBs that work with your TVs and there is a risk that you may run into new problems if you switch to different Xi6 hardware, although that risk should be minimal if your TV's are all from major top-tier brands such as Sony/LG/Samsung.

Biollw
I'm an Advisor

Majors brands, Samsung, Panasonic and Insignia. No off brands here.

BP21
I've Been Around
That doesn’t seem to work for me. I press exit 3 times and 0300 and it just searches channel 300

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BP21 : Per post 2 of this thread, you're supposed to key in 0030, not 0300 if you want a 30 second skip.  Post 5 discusses 0500 for 5 minutes....

pboc
I'm Here A Lot

Ignite TV remote control ( or out of control) is pathetic. When fast-forward or rewinding it's imposable to stop the show where I want when I press play. It's like a child wrote the code. Apology....a child could do a better job.

Out of the many issues with Ignite TV this is by far the most aggravating, try to rewind a goal or a touchdown and you'll get my drift.

The whole remote is a joke have to press 10-20 times just to find stuff. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@pboc  If you only want to go back just a few seconds, or go back to a specific point with any precision , the REW button will not work... but you can do this with voice commands.  Try using, "Go back 10 seconds".  Hopefully Comcast can get this fixed soon.

Danbel08
I've Been Around

EXIT EXIT EXIT 0030

senordd
I Plan to Stick Around
Why is the fast forward and rewind so imprecise? It always goes back a bit when go back to normal speed and rarely stops where I want it to.

Bplayer
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I would speculate it is because it from is an internet feed that is buffered rather than a local media device. Could it be improved... no idea. It is a minor annoyance, but a 5-10 second disruption is really no big deal.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@senordd wrote:
Why is the fast forward and rewind so imprecise? It always goes back a bit when go back to normal speed and rarely stops where I want it to.

It is due to a Comcast bug/implementation quirk that has gone unfixed for ages.

I have tried to explain why the problem occurs in this post: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Fast-Forward-Function-Ignite-TV/m-p/474066/highlight...

The strange thing is that you can go back to any specific spot using voice commands ("Go back six seconds") but cannot using Rewind/Play.

Cindy13
I've Been Around

where do you have to be to do this. I do it and all it does is bring up the guide for channel 0030....

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Cindy13 The most reliable way to set the 30-second skip is while watching a normal TV channel.

Press "Exit Exit Exit" (wait 1 second between button presses; do not press-and-hold Exit) and then key in "0 0 3 0", also waiting 1 second between button presses.

Yes, you should see 0030 search results on the right side of your screen.  Press Exit to cancel.  After that, 30-second skip should be enabled when watching Live TV and recorded content.  The skip interval may be different when watching some On Demand content.

joebloe2
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks, this worked as described.  It would be nice if these "little tricks" were actually customizable via the settings menu, rather than hidden like this.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats