Family Plan Confusion

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Family Plan Confusion

Hi:

I recently went into a Rogers Store to upgrade my phone.  Since I am close to end of my contract, I would have to pay only $34 approx.  With the new technology that has been introduced since my last upgrade Dec 17, 2013 (different phone) things will not be has simple.

With my new plan, I would have to increase my monthly payments to $70/month since this is the main account.  Up from $62.  This was fine, it gives a couple of options that would offset a small increase.

The difficulty comes in with the fact that I have three other phones on the family plan.  For me to be able to upgrade one phone, I would have to switch ALL my plans and pay approximatly $15/mth each - for nothing! 

I do not understand how this is necessary except in that Rogers would be collecting $50/mth more from me and really giving me nothing extra that I need.  Everything works now, why would it not work with one plan changing?  Please explain why this is necessary to a customer that has been loyal for at least 10 years and currently pay over $350/mth for all Rogers services.

If I am forced to do this, I will be changing companies for my cell phones (all of them as the plans expire) and also everything else. 

By the way, I could not believe that this was necessary, so I called Rogers "Customer Service"/sales line and got the same BS.  "It's necessary because of technology upgrades."  The same upgrades we pay for through tax breaks that are given to Rogers when they do anything, and still make Billions of dollars.

Thanks for reading my rant.  Wish there was somewhere else I could post this to see if other people have had the same problem or if there is a solution.

***Edited Labels.***

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Family Plan Confusion

From my personal experience, your plan is considered grandfathered, and in order to be eligible for a phone at a subsidized cost Rogers requires you to be on what is considered an "in market" plan.

You cannot have two seperate family plans on one account.

I would suggest speaking to the loyalty department and seeing if your tenure would help you in this case.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

@drheath wrote:

Hi:

I recently went into a Rogers Store to upgrade my phone.  Since I am close to end of my contract, I would have to pay only $34 approx.  With the new technology that has been introduced since my last upgrade Dec 17, 2013 (different phone) things will not be has simple.

With my new plan, I would have to increase my monthly payments to $70/month since this is the main account.  Up from $62.  This was fine, it gives a couple of options that would offset a small increase.

The difficulty comes in with the fact that I have three other phones on the family plan.  For me to be able to upgrade one phone, I would have to switch ALL my plans and pay approximatly $15/mth each - for nothing! 

I do not understand how this is necessary except in that Rogers would be collecting $50/mth more from me and really giving me nothing extra that I need.  Everything works now, why would it not work with one plan changing?  Please explain why this is necessary to a customer that has been loyal for at least 10 years and currently pay over $350/mth for all Rogers services.

If I am forced to do this, I will be changing companies for my cell phones (all of them as the plans expire) and also everything else. 

By the way, I could not believe that this was necessary, so I called Rogers "Customer Service"/sales line and got the same BS.  "It's necessary because of technology upgrades."  The same upgrades we pay for through tax breaks that are given to Rogers when they do anything, and still make Billions of dollars.

Thanks for reading my rant.  Wish there was somewhere else I could post this to see if other people have had the same problem or if there is a solution.

I agree.... I tried to upgrade to a different hardware, but guess what? I have to  upgrade my plan too.... of course, to a plan that is at least $10 - $15 more a month. Only because some hardwares are classified differently than others. 

OK, forget about t he hardware - I tried to get a different plan that would at least match what the competition is offering... nope, can`t do it! You want more data, you get charged at least $15 more/month than, lets say, Fido.

Really? After 12 years of doing business with Rogers, I suppose the end is near.... Isn`t being the biggest wireless service provider also means providing "cpmpetitive prices"? 

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Agreed. It seems that every marketing trick in the book is now being applied to get customers off the older and less expensive plans to the newer and most expensive plans. We too were on a grandfathered family plan and found the best solution was to simply switch to another provider. Not every one needs to spend a minimum of $80 per month for a cell phone!
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

@JohhnyRockets wrote:
Agreed. It seems that every marketing trick in the book is now being applied to get customers off the older and less expensive plans to the newer and most expensive plans. We too were on a grandfathered family plan and found the best solution was to simply switch to another provider. Not every one needs to spend a minimum of $80 per month for a cell phone!

Absolutely! Its getting ridiculous! I understand that Rogers has to get their $$ back for the services they offer.... but also the services they offer aren`t anymore customer oriented .... its more like aiming at corporations and companies that can afford to pay dose monthly prices for shared plans. And that`s another one: shared plans! why do I need a shared plan when I don`t want to share it nor do I have anyone to share it with? Why can`t I just tailor the plan that suits me best? Unlimited this, unlimited that .... all that adds to the monthly final bill. There was a time when you could get 250 min talk time, or 500 min, or whatever fit your needs. Not anymore. That`s ok.... there are still companies like Virgin, Fido, Wind that offer to customise your plan to fit your needs.