Facetime on kids iPods not working with new Hitron CGN3 router

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Facetime on kids iPods not working with new Hitron CGN3 router

Hi all,

I just upgraded my modem today.  Everything seemed to be working fine until the kids complained that Facetime was no longer woreking on their iPod 5s.  They can initiate the call, but when it tries to connect, it fails.

I did some searching and found a list of ports that should be forwarded.   However, I have more than 1 device that needs the same ports, so port forwarding does not work.

How can I fix this?

Thanks,

M

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Facetime on kids iPods not working with new Hitron CGN3 router

Ok, looking at the port forwarding rules on the CGN3 it appears that the port forwarding is IP specific on the LAN side.  That would be an issue I think, when more than one iPod is up and running.  The Port Triggering might solve the issue as it isn't LAN IP specific.  From the help pop-up on the CGN3.....Port Triggering allows a NATed PC behind the gateway to access special applications on the Internet. (e.g. messaging programs). When an application such as messaging software performs an outgoing request for a port, the port triggering rule will open up the port for the local computer running the software and allow traffic to flow back and forth for as long as the program is in use. ...." etc, etc, etc....  So, it would appear that any IP address on the LAN side should be able to access the ports when desired.  Only way to find out is to configure it and run a test with the Facetime application running on more than one single iPod. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Facetime on kids iPods not working with new Hitron CGN3 router

Wondering if they are on the newest firmware yet?
If that might effect it.

I am on the latest.. and facetime seems to work here fine.