FEEDBACK - Rogers Service Interruptions Thread

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Service Interruptions Thread

Hello, @Tuckerslam

I appreciate joining the Rogers Community Forums and posting your query. As you have recognized due to severe weather, some areas in southern Ontario have service disruptions. Repair crews are restoring services.

You can send us a private message @CommunityHelps so that we can check your connection as well as the neighbourhood.  Our private messaging system is explained in this blog.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have questions regarding Rogers Home Phone and Internet in my location (near Yonge & Lawrence in Toronto).  Our power went out twice in the past couple of days and during the outages (25 minutes and 13 minutes) my Rogers Home Phone and Rogers Internet were "down". 

I have my phone modem, phones and my computer modem/router plugged into various UPS and they remain "up" (some lights are on indicating power to them, but the lights indicating service are off/flashing).  I therefore have no internet access and I have no dial tone on the phone.

My PVRs for TV are also plugged into UPS and they show the time, so I believe they are working. I wasn't recording anything at the time of the power failures, so I couldn't test to see if there was signal, but I believe there was since there was time shown on the front display. I don't have my TVs/AVR plugged into UPS as they would draw down the UPS too quickly.

Is it possible that the batteries that should keep phone and internet service "up" in our area (for at least some period of time) are no longer working as designed?  Many years ago when I first got RHP, it would work during a power failure, unless the failure was many hours like the ice storm.

I've Been Around

Would be helpful to show postal codes impacted and not just GTA.
I've Been Around

Great idea but I'm in southwestern ontario and that's a huge area. Would be nice to have more detail such as the town at least. I'm in Delaware just west of London.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@MA74wrote:
Would be helpful to show postal codes impacted and not just GTA.

If a specific area is impacted, they usually do list areas like Mississauga, Scarborough, Etobicoke, Toronto, etc. within the GTA post.  Not quite postal code, but much better than "GTA".

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Mistymornwrote:
Great idea but I'm in southwestern ontario and that's a huge area. Would be nice to have more detail such as the town at least. I'm in Delaware just west of London.

They do. For example the area of Simcoe/York/Durham, currently has the towns of Ajax, Barrie, Bolton shown.

I Plan to Stick Around

I believe their point being was that a city or town isn’t enough information at all. Especially for large cities like Toronto, London, Mississauga, Etc. I believe you missed what they were stating about postal codes.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The service interruption would rarely say something like "Toronto".  It would typically also indicate an area of Toronto, like Scarborough and an area of Scarborough if applicable/known, or something like Downtown Toronto, etc.

Granted, when it's a smaller community, it may simply say something like "Barrie" without a postal-code-specific area.  

If you have a problem and you check here and it mentions your area, then shouldn't that be enough without knowing the exact postal codes for example?  If the information gets too specific, it also leads to problems because the outage could be in one part of a postal code and not in another, so it may be more useful to keep the information more general, rather than too specific.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Dear  @RogersDarrell

Your post tells customers nothing at all. It doesn't explain what areas are affected. It doesn't say how long some people have been without service (at our end in the Toronto Beaches/Scarborough area it was at least 30 hours).

Apologizing for the 'inconvenience' is fine if the outage is just for a few hours. 

I finally called CITY TV today to see if journalists could find out why we were without a landline and internet for 30 hours. I can understand technical problems. Outages happen, but to be told for 30 hours nothing more than there is 'an issue' and Rogers is 'working on it' is yet another example of corporate arrogance. It will take a bit of time to sort through the competition but this public relations fiasco was the last straw for me. All managers should be ashamed of themselves for not sharing information with the customer service staff who are the ones who have to deal with irate, frustrated customers. Within the hour of my phone call to CITY TV the internet was back. Lucky, but I called too late. From now on I will call the media instead of customer service. I have a better chance of getting an answer that way. 

I've Been Here Awhile

Today I received an email from Rogers to tell me that Rogers "service" would be resumed within six hours. What is the point of the message that could not be received until the "service" had already  returned?