Extremely slow download speeds.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

I believe my connection was under a minor DDOS attack for a few minutes, and since then my download speeds have gone to about 0.5 mbps. Rogers support do not understand a thing and say that the issue is with my computer, even though I have tested the connection on various devices.

After giving Rogers technician remote access to my computer, all he does is delete my browsing history. He then messes with a few settings in my adapter settings and disconnects me from the Internet. I don't know if he then reset my modem from his end, but I was offline for around 10 mins.

Can someone tell me as to how I can fix this issue with my download speed, because the people at Rogers clearly do not value the satisfaction of their customers.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I Plan to Stick Around

Waterloo - Extreme Plus - I've had download speeds from 600 KBPS to 2 MBPS every night, 5pm to 3am, 3 weeks and counting.  

Over past 2 nights speeds have improved slightly, at 1 - 2 MBPS, not .6 - 1 MPBS.  Over past 2 days, daytime speeds are at advertised, or there about.   Not sure if it has to do with all the students in the area going home for thanksgiving.  These slow downs occur at peak usage hours, every night.  

After  first 12 days of arguing, and restesting, reproving this is not an issue with my computers, modem (tech supp had me swap out 2), 7 quickly closed service tickets, *an employee* Rogers CAT team informed me this was a , "known Rogers network issue" causing my slow download speeds, engineers are working on it, no ETA for a solution, no specifics.  That was October 3rd 2011.  My issues became noticably slow on September 18th, when I first filed my service ticket. 

Have also been dealing with *an employee* in the Rogers Office of the President, she is very aware of this Rogers speed issue.  She said it's really not that bad, "it's only affecting 6 out of every 1000 customers." If you're 1 of those 6 in 1000, it still doesn't feel any better knowing you're getting 2 % of the service you pay for.  Not sure how they arrive at that figure.  

If you are having slow speeds and Rogers is either stalling you in an endless loop of pointless service calls to merely verify the bad speed (common tactic), or getting "we re working on it, dont know when it will be fixed". 

It's the only way Rogers takes a problem seriously, or even knows a problem is affecting many people.  If you don't call, they assume all is well, or your issue is an isolated one.  I

When you speak with tech support ask to speak with *an employee* or another member of the CAT department.  She, and that department, are very well aware of this Rogers problem.  

You can also file a complaint with the Rogers Office of the President, under "complain" in the "contact us" section of this Rogers website.   

*an employee*, of that office, is also very familiar with this issue.  

A quick email of my experience to Elen Roseman of the Toronto star got a call back from the Office of the President with in hours.  

eroseman@thestar.ca

If you are having this issue, I encourage you to please keep calling.  It's the only way it will be corrected faster.  Others are having the same problem, often many people don't bother to call because it's so frustrating.  Tell Rogers if they're going to advertise "blazing speed" to recrute new subscribers, they need be able to provide those same speeds to their existing customers.   

They can't keep slicing the pie smaller, and blaming the slow speeds on us the customer.  

*Tek Savvy support and sales said Rogers will not allow them to add any new subscribers in parts of Kitchener and else where in the region due to congestion.  They are a re seller of Rogers.  

*updated to remove employee name @RogersMichaelT

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Extremely slow download speeds.

9/18/11 - After days of slow speed at night I make my first of several calls to tech support.  

Tech suport blames my wiring, both computers, and equipment for over 2 weeks, having me swap out 3 modems, run several tests, Rogers line tests to my modem fine every time. 

10/3/11 *an employee* of Rogers High Speed C.A.T. team tells me what I'd been insisting all along, "It's a Rogers network issue affecting you and others in your area".

10/16/11 *an employee*  Rogers Office off President gives me first ETA thus far  for solution within 1 week.  She confirms again this is a Rogers network issue,  "It's a congested node, they'll work on the node". 

10/25/11 Still receiving 1 mbps and much less at night, often becoming unusable for any purpose, as it has been for well over 1 month now. *an employee*  in Office of President calls to see if problem is improved, didn't seem surprised when I said it was just as bad.   She agreed it was probably, "an ETA for a different node".   That or it was a stall tactic, or bad information.  Either way it doesn't matter, myself and many others on over sold congested nodes are getting 5% and less of our advertised speeds all night every night.  

ROGERS FIX YOUR NETWORK BEFORE YOU ADD NEW SUBSCRIBERS.  THERE ARE FLIERS IN MY DOORWAY, THEY ACTUALLY ARE TRYING TO ADD MORE PEOPLE, WHEN THERE'S ALREADY NOT ENOUGH BANDWIDTH TO USE THE INTERNET AT NIGHT!

*edited to remove employee name @RogersMichaelT

I've Been Around

same here in toronto every night from 5 until 3 am 600 kbs to 2 mbs its **bleep** i pay for extreme speed not third world speed

*edited to remove profanity @RogersMichaelT

I Plan to Stick Around

Same here.  Also in Toronto.

I've Been Here Awhile

Just north of Toronto and getting the same thing, my best guess is that there's too much congestion in the evening hours. Also getting a considerable amount of jitter in the evenings as well, this has been going on for about three weeks now.

I Plan to Stick Around

THIS APPLIES TO EVERYONE WITH  THE NEW SMC ROUTER/MODEM COMBO. THEY ARE ABSOLUTE GARBAGE THATS THE REASON YOU GET 1MBPS AT NIGHT. This is what i recomend Get a Linksys or Dlink wirless G or N routers and hook them up to the SMC Gateway . you will notice a big preformance difference. I had this issue until 2 minutes ago when i installed my old linksys Wifi G router and now im getting 20MBPS on Express. ITS THE CRAPPY SMC ROUTER..............  $170 PIECE.

I've Been Around

Recently got the Rogers Unlimited Hybrid fibre 60. I am greatly disappointed to say the least. I have been having slow speed issues since day 1 for which I have made several complaints. Im getting a download speed of around 20 Mbps only.

All I get from the Rogers customer service representatives is that a slow speed ticket has been issued and they're working on it. Its been about  amonth now and noting's happened. I have the new modem as well which was supposed to have a better range as well but I hardly get any signal at all in my bedroom which is like 10 ft away from where the modem is placed. Should I try swapping the modem?  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you read through some of the posts in the forum you will see that all models of the combo modem / routers have been a source of frustration due to their poor wifi performance.  The easiest way to resolve it is to place the modem in bridge mode, which is a modem only mode of operation and use a third party router to do everything else, wired and wireless.  You can also run the modem in gateway mode, which is its normal mode, turn off the wifi on it and use a third party router for wireless and additional wired connections.

Can you indicate which modem you have at the present time and what your wired download speeds are, as seen via Rogers or Speedtest.net test? 

Here is a link to inSSIDer, which is a wireless monitoring application. 

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

Load this on a laptop or wireless pc and have a look at your wifi environment.  You might see several other routers running, all providing their share of interference which will present problems as you try to use your own wifi.  By looking at the network display, you might be able to determine if there are any channels which do not have a large number of other routers overlapping it (channel), and with that knowledge you can switch your modem / router to operate on that channel.  That might only provide temporary relief as other nearby routers might be running on automatic channel selection and they could start to use your selected channel at any time.  So, you would have to do an occasional check for interference using inSSIDer. 

By looking at the network display on inSSIDer, you might come to the conclusion that with all of the other routers running nearby, combined with the existing modem/router's poor performance, that buying a good third party router is the best solution.

I Plan to Stick Around

You don't happen to be using Chrome are you? Chrome currently has a bug where if you have hardware acceleration enabled in the Settings > Advanced Settings, it causes download speeds to be about half. It was driving me insane and I thought it was an ISP issue until I tried speed tests through IE and found speeds were normal. Did some research and found the hardware acceleration bug. When turned ON in Chrome, my speeds were half of what they should be. Turn it OFF, and speeds are what they should be. I don't know how widespread this bug affects people but it did for me.  Hope that helps and is the cause of your issues.