Extremely inconsistent internet speeds and latency

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jodi123
I Plan to Stick Around

Extremely inconsistent internet speeds and latency

For the past week my internet has been having extremely inconsistent latency, it will spike for 10 mins, clear up for 1 min then spike again.

Im not sure what is going on or why it is doing this.

Anyone have/know anything that i can try to solve this issue?

Im using a Cisco DPC3825

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Extremely inconsistent internet speeds and latency

Ok, if nothing has changed since the original installation, which is important, call tech support to have them look at your cable signal levels and book an appointment to have a tech come to your home to check / replace cables and connectors.  Once they have a look at the upstream levels, they shouldn't hesitate to book a tech visit.  If the installation is as it was originally installed, there should not be any charge for a tech visit.  Having said all that, issues with latency are a problem, especially for gaming where the game servers are located in the southern U.S.  That is a constant complaint across many forums, not just Rogers.

It is possible for these modems to run at minimal signal levels, but that would requre minimal external noise leaking in to the cable which would kill the signal to noise ratios, making it difficult if not impossible for the modem to distinguish the real signal from the noise.

View solution in original post

All Replies
VivienM
I'm an Advisor

@Jodi123 wrote:

For the past week my internet has been having extremely inconsistent latency, it will spike for 10 mins, clear up for 1 min then spike again.

Im not sure what is going on or why it is doing this.

Anyone have/know anything that i can try to solve this issue?

Im using a Cisco DPC3825

My first guess would be a signal problem.

Do you have digital cable? If yes, try looking at various channels when the modem is misbehaving, see if you can see a problem with your TV as well as your Internet.

Jodi123
I Plan to Stick Around

Not sure, Cable looks like this 

http://litramfg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/coaxial-cable-assemblies.jpg

Its just been recently that it has started happening and nothing has changed

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Can you log into the modem, navigate to the DOCSIS WAN page and copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into this thread.  Those are the cable signal levels and signal to noise ratios.  A quick check will determine if you have a cable problem.  They don't last forever, and every once in a while have to be replaced.

Jodi123
I Plan to Stick Around

Downstream:

Power Level:	Signal to Noise Ratio:
Channel 1:	-6.8 dBmV	39.4 dB
Channel 2:	-6.7 dBmV	39.9 dB
Channel 3:	-6.8 dBmV	40.0 dB
Channel 4:	-6.9 dBmV	39.9 dB
Channel 5:	-7.1 dBmV	39.7 dB
Channel 6:	-6.3 dBmV	39.9 dB
Channel 7:	-6.6 dBmV	39.4 dB
Channel 8:	-6.7 dBmV	39.6 dB

Upstream

Power Level:
Channel 1:	48.0 dBmV
Channel 2:	49.7 dBmV
Channel 3:	48.7 dBmV
Channel 4:	0.0 dBmV

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The cable power levels are low.  The downstream should be 0 dBmV instead of -6 dBmV.  The downstream signal to noise ratios are fine.  Your upstream power levels are nearing the extreme upper range which is 51/52 dBmV.  They should be in the 37 to 40 dBmV range.  If you have an ongoing cable issue, those levels might be spiking higher which would cause problems.  Do you know if you use a surge arrester on the RG6 cable.  If so, the cable would run from the wallplate, to the surge arrester and then to the modem.  The cable should run directly from the wallplate to the modem.  Do you use a power bar at all to plug the computer and other equipment into?

Jodi123
I Plan to Stick Around

Everything is plugged into the wall directly.

The cable is run from the wall to a splitter (for tv) to the modem

I dont believe i use a surge arrester.

Shouldl i try a diffrent cable?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, if nothing has changed since the original installation, which is important, call tech support to have them look at your cable signal levels and book an appointment to have a tech come to your home to check / replace cables and connectors.  Once they have a look at the upstream levels, they shouldn't hesitate to book a tech visit.  If the installation is as it was originally installed, there should not be any charge for a tech visit.  Having said all that, issues with latency are a problem, especially for gaming where the game servers are located in the southern U.S.  That is a constant complaint across many forums, not just Rogers.

It is possible for these modems to run at minimal signal levels, but that would requre minimal external noise leaking in to the cable which would kill the signal to noise ratios, making it difficult if not impossible for the modem to distinguish the real signal from the noise.

View solution in original post

Jodi123
I Plan to Stick Around

So i shouldn't touch it/try another cable?
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you happen to have another RG6 cable around, give it a go.  Just make sure that it reads RG6 for cable type printed on the side of the cable.  I don't think it will have any effect, but its always worth a test to find out.  Also make sure that the cable ends are tight when you attach them to the wallplate and modem.