cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme Plus Plan

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

I have the old Extreme Plus Internet package, which has a download speed of 45mbps and an upload speed of 4mbps. I check my speeds with speedtest.net and the Rogers cable app every once in a while. I've noticed over the past few days that my upload speed is now 2mbps, but download is still normal. Does anyone know if Rogers can change the upload speed by doing something to my modem/router? I have the SMCD3GN.

***edited labels***

147 REPLIES 147

Re: Extreme Plus Plan

Jumping in a little late here.. but if its anything like my HP printer.. It may be locked in.

You'll have to try and find how to do a HARD reset... they dont like getting rid of the old addresses, etc on them.

After that, re-run the setup from the disk..

That worked for me.

VivienM:

Thank you. I've never updated the HP's firmware and it's about 6 years old, so you make an excellent point.

Were you trying to post a link to the methodology HERE? I would be interested in looking at it if you could. I was thinking I could just add its IP address as another device on the ASUS, but I can't see a setting for it.

Gdkitty:

Thank you. I'll take a look at the reset, which is something I've never used. The setup on mine is not done from a CD, it's done on the printer itself. There's a tool icon in the display which looks like a wrench. Pressing it takes me to a long list of setup options, including the network connection.

Off topic but, once again, I'm not subscribed to this thread, even though I forced it myself, so I did not get email for the last 2 replies.

@jimboden wrote:

Were you trying to post a link to the methodology HERE? I would be interested in looking at it if you could. I was thinking I could just add its IP address as another device on the ASUS, but I can't see a setting for it.

I'm not sure where that methodology is found... it's somewhere around this forum...

The big problem is that you'd need to add another IP (on some 192.168.something private subnet) to the _outside_ interface of the Asus router, which I doubt it would let you do. And even if it did, it would get very, very, very messy...

Frankly, I have just come to accept that I will no longer have access to the statistics that I used to get on the DPC3825. Such is life...

VivienM:

Thanks for the reply. I find it interesting that most advisors in this forum favour bridging to external routers, but there's no way to look at the bridged device afterwards. Surely it's important to be able to look at it from time-to-time for things like firmware versions and signal strength readings. I'll do some digging around in this forum, specifically threads for the CGN3.

@jimboden wrote:

VivienM:

Thanks for the reply. I find it interesting that most advisors in this forum favour bridging to external routers, but there's no way to look at the bridged device afterwards. Surely it's important to be able to look at it from time-to-time for things like firmware versions and signal strength readings. I'll do some digging around in this forum, specifically threads for the CGN3.

At the end of the day, with these gateways, we're not operating in an ideal world. In an ideal world, we'd have either gateways with awesome NAT/wifi functionality, or we'd have straight modems with accessible statistics.

But instead, we have what we have, so we might as well make the best of it. And so that may mean byebye signal strength readings...

Have a look at post #12 in the following thread in order to login to the bridged CGN3:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/180...

Datalink:

Thank you for that. I have an old netbook sitting around and wil give it a try. It's running good old XP, but I doubt that will be a problem.

Tried the suggestion about using another computer with the IP etc. addresses posted, but it didn't work. It appears superficially that it connects, but there's no outbound traffic, therefore, no Internet connection.

Does anyone know if I reset the CGN3 and log in, if the 7.x.x.x IP address will show and, if so, can I use it to sign in after putting it back in bridge mode?

@jimboden wrote:

Tried the suggestion about using another computer with the IP etc. addresses posted, but it didn't work. It appears superficially that it connects, but there's no outbound traffic, therefore, no Internet connection.

Does anyone know if I reset the CGN3 and log in, if the 7.x.x.x IP address will show and, if so, can I use it to sign in after putting it back in bridge mode?

I don't think so - the 7.x.x.x is used for Rogers' private management network, I doubt you could access it from the 'LAN side' of the CGN3.

Honestly, you've reached the same point I have. I gave up. You seem to be more motivated. 🙂

VivienM:

Yes, I tend to be very persistent when it comes to most things. Part of it is because I was in the IT business for a few decades. I started as a computer programmer way back when on a mainframe which didn't even have an operating system. I've always been good at solving technical problems, but networking is not my strong suit.Smiley Sad

jimboden wrote

Does anyone know if I reset the CGN3 and log in, if the 7.x.x.x IP

address will show and, if so, can I use it to sign in after putting it back in bridge mode?

If you reset the CGN3 back into Gateway mode and login to the modem, navigate to STATUS.....DOCSIS WAN.  The 7.xxx.xxx.xxx address is shown on that page.  In Gateway mode that address can be used to log into the modem.  I have tried it so I know that it does work.  It should work in Bridge mode unless Bridge mode operation results in a different IP address.

Datalink:

Thanks. I will give it a try and report back on the result.

Well, looks like I'm out of options. I reset the CGN3 and copied its IP info, then put it back into bridge mode. When I enter the IP address, which is 7.73.208.162, I do get to the login screen but, when I enter user ID and password, I get a login failed access denied message. I wonder if that IP is used by Rogers and is blocked somehow.

EDIT: I did a search on the IP address, which says it belongs to the DoD Network Information Center in Columbus Ohio. Very strange.

You're using your previously assigned password correct?  Did you try cusadmin and "password" for the password. 

Datalink

It's not rejecting the user ID or password, When you enter an incorrect password, it says the password is invalid. This is a different issue related to security somehow. I just edited my previous post and the IP address supposedly belongs to the DoD in the US.

Oh well, being able to log on to the CGN3 is a nice to have rather than necessary. If I really want to see firmware updates or signal strength readings, I can do a reset and reverse it again. It doesn't really take very long.

The 7. addresses are 'registerd' to the DoD.. but are NON ROUTABLE.

So there are alot of companies that use them for internal addressing, rogers included.

@Gdkitty wrote:

The 7. addresses are 'registerd' to the DoD.. but are NON ROUTABLE.

So there are alot of companies that use them for internal addressing, rogers included.

Basically, Rogers (and many others with large networks) ran out of 10.* RFC 1918 IP space. So... they started using blocks assigned to other large organizations that are not publicly routed on the Internet.

Gdkitty:

Thanks. Suspicions confirmed. I thought it might be used by Rogers, hence it's not available for customer use, which is what the message essentially says (i.e. access denied).

I must say that the Hybrid 150 package is impressive. I just downloaded an 850Mb file in just under 90 seconds. Smokin!!Smiley Very Happy

I'm a gamer and have a lot of games on my PC from Steam. I downloaded a free weekend trial of a game yesterday, and was quite surprised to get a download speed of 190mbps. I didn't really expect that, which is a good sign that servers for companies like Steam can sustain that kind of download speed. Smiley Happy