cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme Plus Plan

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

I have the old Extreme Plus Internet package, which has a download speed of 45mbps and an upload speed of 4mbps. I check my speeds with speedtest.net and the Rogers cable app every once in a while. I've noticed over the past few days that my upload speed is now 2mbps, but download is still normal. Does anyone know if Rogers can change the upload speed by doing something to my modem/router? I have the SMCD3GN.

***edited labels***

147 REPLIES 147

Re: Extreme Plus Plan

@jimboden wrote:

VivienM:

Thanks for the recommendation. I've been looking around for that model, but not having much success. Everyone seems to be out of stock, which is probably a good sign in terms of its popularity. My only concern is that model is well over 2 years old, although it might not matter. I just have to make my mind up between it and the Linksys. I'm waiting for Future Shop to restock its supply of CGN3's and they already have the Linksys in stock. The only reason I'm waiting for them instead of going to Rogers is a $50 plus tax price different in favour of Future Shop.

Could you be confusing the AC66U and the AC68U? The 68U (the one I'm recommending) came out about a year ago and runs newer Broadcom 802.11ac than the 66U...

VivienM:

Yes, you are correct. I've been lost in a maze of model numbers. I haven't read the AC68U review, but I will. Smiley Happy

EDIT: Read the CNet review and, as usual, it was gushing about how great it is. However, also as usual, there was a mix of positive and negative comments from people who actually own and use it. Having said that, I will defer to the positive comments on this thread and will search for one. Smiley Happy

Just looked at another review on Tom's Guide which lists the router's dimensions at 12x8.5x3.2. Obviously, the 3.2 is the depth, but I'm not clear which one is the height, including the antennae because the review doesn't specify H or W. It seems extremely tall in the photo, especially when taking the antennae into account. Can anyone tell me if the 12 inches is the height or the width? It appears in the photo that the width is 12 inches and the height is 8 inches, which probably does not include the antennae. I'm trying to figure out if it will fit on my Bello stand and the height is the important dimension. Width is OK either way.

jimboden wrote:Just looked at another review on Tom's Guide which lists the router's dimensions at 12x8.5x3.2. Obviously, the 3.2 is the depth, but I'm not clear which one is the height, including the antennae because the review doesn't specify H or W. It seems extremely tall in the photo, especially when taking the antennae into account. Can anyone tell me if the 12 inches is the height or the width? It appears in the photo that the width is 12 inches and the height is 8 inches, which probably does not include the antennae. I'm trying to figure out if it will fit on my Bello stand and the height is the important dimension. Width is OK either way.

Just measured mine. Height of the actual unit is about 6.5 inches, when counting the antennae it's more like 11-12 inches.

VivienM:

Thank you. 12 inches fits on my shelf with a little head room to spare.

Found the Asus on Newegg.ca and placed an order. Thanks again to all of you for your help. Now I just have to wait for a CGN3 and I'm in business. Smiley Very Happy

If you're not in a hurry, wait until Best Buy or Future Shop has the CGN3 on sale for $150.  When you do bring a CGN3 home, do not use the USB Setup Key that comes with it.  Throw the USB Setup Key out.

Datalink:

I didn't know they sold it for $150. Right now, both Future Shop and BB are showing $199.99 on their web sites, but out of stock. Rogers still sells it for $250. Thanks for the advice about the USB setup key. What does it do? Also, what is the sequence of events I should follow. Obviously, I can install the CGN3, but where do I get Rogers involved aside from upgrading to the 150/15 package? I assume Rogers controls the firmware in the CGN3.

@jimboden wrote:

Datalink:

I didn't know they sold it for $150. Right now, both Future Shop and BB are showing $199.99 on their web sites, but out of stock. Rogers still sells it for $250. Thanks for the advice about the USB setup key. What does it do? Also, what is the sequence of events I should follow. Obviously, I can install the CGN3, but where do I get Rogers involved aside from upgrading to the 150/15 package? I assume Rogers controls the firmware in the CGN3.

You'd have to call Rogers to get them to put the CGN3 on your account; when they're doign that, they can switch you to the 150/15 package, and they can also put the CGN3 in bridge mode for you, or you can do that yourself...

Rogers controls things like firmware upgrades, but you can control bridge mode vs router mode, the wifi settings if in router mode, etc...

VivienM:

Thank you for clarifying that. It's very straight forward.

Just checked with my Rogers local store and found out the CGN3 is in stock, plus their price is only $159.99. Smiley Happy

Not too terrible.  Normally it comes down to $149.99 at Best Buy and at Best Buy you would receive a $25 Gift Card as a bonus.  If you decide to buy it from the Rogers store, the staff can take your existing modem back and put the new CGN3 on your account at the same time.  When I first picked up my CGN3 from the Rogers Store, they couldn't put the CGN3 on my account and move my plan up to the higher data rate as well.  For some reason there was, and still might be a separation of capabilities between the store and the phone in customer service.  So I ended up having the store staff place the CGN3 on my account, brought it home, set it up, and then called in to move up to a higher level service plan.

Datalink:

Thanks for that. When I spoke to the rep at the store, I told her I'm upgrading to the 150/15 package while I'm there, so I'll see what happens. I'm going over there in the next couple of hours. As for my current modem, think I'll leave it connected for now until I have the CGN3. Maybe it will have some value on Craigslist or something similar. Also, I ordered the ASUS modem online, so it probably won't be here for another couple of days or so, depending on where Newegg ships it from.

TeDD13
I'm a Trusted Contributor
I really hope that you ordered an Asus router, not a modem:-) Out of curiosity which one did you pick?

When you bring the CGN3 home, do not use the USB setup key that comes with it.  Throw it out.

TeDD13:

Yes, I messed that up, it's a router. The model is  ASUS RT-AC68U Wireless-AC1900 Dual Band Gigabit Router. I chose it based on the positive comments here.

Datalink:

Thanks for the reminder. I remember you mentioned that in an earlier post. I have the manual, so doing the setup should be easy. One thing I haven't mentioned is that I'm currently using a 128bit WEP key on my SMCD3GN. I hope I can force the CGN3 to use it so I don't have to store new keys in my wireless devices.

OK, got the CGN3 and the rep at the store was able to do everything while I was there, including deactivating my SMCD3GN. Windows 8.1 refused to recognize it, so I did a Set up new connection or network and that worked. I did not use the USB key. Did a speed test with speedtest.net and got 194Mbps download and only 10mbps on the upload. I tried the Rogers cable speed test and only got 65mbps download and 10mbps upload, so who to believe? The cable speed test always gave me the same results as speedtest.net with my SMC. Now I just have to play with Wi-Fi to get my wireless devices working.

Unless there is a very good reason, like you have a device which doesn't support anything higher than WEP, you should move all of your mobile devices to WPA2 with AES encryption now. WEP has been insecure for a considerable time now and can be broken in about 3 minutes or less.

Here is how to generate random network names and passphrases for your router.  WPA2 uses 32 characters for the SSID (network name) and either 64 random hexadecimal characters or 63 random printable ASCII characters.  If you are in the position where you only have laptops for example so that you can easily copy and paste SSIDs and passphrases you can use grc.com to generate random character strings.  Here is how to do that.

1.  Navigate to:  https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm  Every time you refresh this page it will generate new passwords.

2.  Navigate to the 2.4 Ghz network page on your router.

3.  Copy the characters from the GRC webpage field labelled "63 random alpha-numeric characters" and paste that into something like a notepad or word document.  Count 32 characters from that field and delete the rest.  Copy those characters and paste them into the router WPA2 SSID field.

4.  Copy the characters from the 64 random hexadecimal characters and paste them into the document and into the WPA2 passphrase. 

5. Select AES as the encryption method

6.  Ensure that you also turn off WPS as it is a security hazard as well and can be easily broken. 

7.  Save the settings.

8.  Repeat the procedure for the 5 Ghz network page.  Note that since the CGN3 fires up with the networks on, you need to do this to the 5Ghz network even if you don't intend to use it.  Once done, turn off the network.  If it ever fires up unintentionally, its protected.

9.  Label the SSIDs and passphrases and Save the document.  Copy the file onto a USB drive so that you can copy and paste the passphrase into the passphrase entry window on your laptop.

The random printable characters field can be used but you have to remove the characters that the CGN3 will not accept, and I don't happen to have that list handy at the moment.

Is this overkill?  Maybe, but consider this for a moment.  WPA2 is not secure either and can be hacked.  The appropriate term I think is determined.  That is to say, the WPA2 network name and passphrase can be determined if in fact that they are simple enough to be found in a dictionary, are commonly used names or terms or are the ISP default names for networks.  A passphrase such as Katie4ever can be determined in about 10 minutes, according to a test description that I read through.  The encryption for the network is derived through a known mathematical process and some enterprising individual, with enough computing power available has taken the time to crank out millions of "words" that have resulted from hashing millions of common network names and common passphrases and has made them available for purchase.  I won't go into the remaining details.  The end result is to make network hacking very easy, easy enough that it is a simple process of data comparison, which can be done with a laptop. That wordlist approach will not work with completely random use of upper and lower case letters, numbers and symbols in both the network name and passphrase.  If you were to use a completely random network name with a non-random passphrase, the network could still be hacked, but the person doing it then has to run the hashing process to generate however many combinations of the network name and passphrases he or she chooses to attempt.  That can take days if not weeks to do for a single network target, and you can make that much harder if not impossible by using random characters in both the network name and passphrase.  Make it hard enough and the potential hacker will simply move on and choose an easier target.

Even if you didn't want to go to that extent, using a randomly generated network name from the GRC site is easy to do as it’s a copy and paste into the router entry window.  Normally you never have to enter that field when you connect to a network, unless you are having problems and have to enter the whole network manually to get a device to connect.  Typically it a simple matter of recognizing the network you want to connect to and then just entering the passphrase. 

You will have two routers to think about, the CGN3 and the ASUS.  When the CGN3 boots up for the first time, or after a factory reset, it comes up with both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks running with the Rogers default network names and passphrases.  I would go through the same process for the CGN3 before switching to Bridge mode.  I think that the settings are preservered when you switch to Bridge mode, someone can hopefully confirm that.  So, if for some reason the CGN3 ever resets back to Gateway Mode, deliberate or not, your wifi networks should be protected.  The Asus router, I would run with WPA2 - AES, using random network names and passphrases.  Fwiw, I do run my networks in this manner and I have taken the time to use the same passphrases for tablets and phones. Its not hard to enter the passphrase, just takes a little patience.

Thinking about your speedtest results, navigate to the STATUS....DOCSIS WAN page and copy the downstream and upstream data tables and paste them into this thread.  Don't copy the IP address and other data that sits above the downstream table, just the tables themselves.

Just to show how many routers are in your area, here a link to a map that you can browse to find your home location:

https://wigle.net/gps/gps/Map/onlinemap2/

You will have to scale out first to find Toronto, and then scale back down.  Have a look at all of the wifi routers that use common network names and default names for their routers, which I would think are the first targets for hackers.

Datalink:

Thanks again. It's going to take me a while to digest all of that. Smiley Surprised

Do you know the default name and password for the CGN3? The frigging manual doesn't tell me. I know the usual name is cusadmin, but I don't know the password. I tried a couple of things, but it did not recognize the password.

User credentials should be:

cusadmin

password

If that does not work, hold down the recessed reset button at the back of the modem for 10 seconds and then release.  That will initiate a factory reset.

Datalink:

Thank you. I had forgotten that because it's 4 years since I last got a new modem/router.