Extreme Plus Plan

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimboden
I'm an Advisor

Re: Extreme Plus Plan

Just set up the ASUS router and, yes, the CGN3 LAN 1 port is the bottom, not the top one. After only a few minutes setting up the ASUS, all I can say is I'm extremely impressed. My upload/download wired speeds are exactly the same as before (195mbps and 11mbps), plus the wireless download speed on my iPhone is about 43 mbps, and the upload is about 11mbps with security turned on. With the CGN3, my download speed was about 24mbps with security turned on. In addition, Rogers One Number works perfectly and I didn't have to set up a thing for it to work. It just worked right out of the box. Smiley Very Happy

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

Tried to set up my wireless printer and can't find an option anywhere. The only reference I can find to printing is under the USB application, but it's not wireless. Have to do some homework on this, so Google is my friend again.

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

@jimboden wrote:

Tried to set up my wireless printer and can't find an option anywhere. The only reference I can find to printing is under the USB application, but it's not wireless. Have to do some homework on this, so Google is my friend again.

I'm confused. Assuming you have the printer programmed to the proper SSID/WPA2 key/etc (which is done within the printer), why would you need to set anything up in the Asus router?

(The problem with wireless printers and the CGN3 has to do with the CGN3 not properly handling some multicast stuff, I believe)

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

For your wireless printer, navigate to WIRELESS....PROFESSIONAL.  Down the page is a setting titled "Wireless Multicast Forwarding".  Enable that function and you should be good to go for wireless printing.  Reboot the router and then check your printer settings on your laptop as the laptop and printer address will have changed from your previous router.  Basically you need to relocate the printer from your laptop.  When the laptop knows where to find the printer, you should be ok.

Also check the following.  Navigate to LAN.....SWITCH CONTROL.  On that page check to see if "enable HW Accelerator" is on.  That is a bypass path that routes Web addresses to LAN IP addresses at the chip level, bypassing  a lot of functions that are completed by the router processor.  If you ever notice slow performance with your AC68U, check that setting, as there are functions that will disable it, possilby without warning when the other functions are enabled. 

One last check that you might want to run is a port scan using the grc.com site.  Here's the page to start the port scan:

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

VivienM:

Excellent point! It has my SMC settings in it, but the ASUS SSID is different. Will have a go at that.

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

Datalink:

Thanks for all that. I'll set up the printer properly as mentioned by VivienM first to see if that solves the problem.

I looked at Wireless Professional settings, but there's no Wireless Multicast Forwarding setting. The only reference to Multicast is Multicast Rate (mbps). One thing I have not done yet is to check for firmware updates, so I'll do that ASAP.

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

@jimboden wrote:

I looked at Wireless Professional settings, but there's no Wireless Multicast Forwarding setting. The only reference to Multicast is Multicast Rate (mbps). One thing I have not done yet is to check for firmware updates, so I'll do that ASAP.

Newest firmware came out in July or August; hopefully your unit has something close to that...

Note that Asus recommends that you reset all settings to factory defaults with upgrading firmware. The merits of that recommendation are... to be debated another day.

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

VivienM:

Just completed a firmware update. Version is 3.0.0.4.376_1663. Also just double-checked my SSID and it's the same as it was for my SMC, as is the security key.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Security Key....Weren't you using WEP previously?  Are you still using WEP, which is not supported by 802.11n?

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

Datalink:

Yes, I was using WEP, so that must be the problem. What I did was use my old key, but the security level is WPA Personal and It works with my iPhone. The printer is not an N device, it's much older than that. Do you know how I can use WEP? On the CGN3, it only worked by turning off WPS, but that doesn't work with the ASUS. Also, I can't seem to find a mixed mode that supports all the older devices below N, but maybe auto does it, which is where it's set.