Extreme Plus Plan

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Extreme Plus Plan

I have the old Extreme Plus Internet package, which has a download speed of 45mbps and an upload speed of 4mbps. I check my speeds with speedtest.net and the Rogers cable app every once in a while. I've noticed over the past few days that my upload speed is now 2mbps, but download is still normal. Does anyone know if Rogers can change the upload speed by doing something to my modem/router? I have the SMCD3GN.

***edited labels***

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Extreme Plus Plan

Rogers can sometimes switch D2 profile to D3 profile for people who are still on D2 plans, however this is not applicable to your situation.

As you still have SMCD3GN this might as well be your bottleneck as this gateway has just one upstream channel. Rogers constantly adjusts the configuration on their network to manage congestion. The way they selected to do it is to spread bandwidth over larger amount of channels for download and ti widen upstream channels.

SMCD3GN does not support I believe wider channels for upstream and as either congestion on your node had increased or Rogers reconfigured your node your modem is choking up.

Have you considered upgrading to CGN3? It is currently on sale at Future Shop for $149.

P.S. I have assumed that you checked all your signal levels and they remain within limits.
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

TeDD13:

Thanks for your thoughts. I guess it's possible the congestion idea has some merit, although I've never seen it in the 4 years I've been on this plan. I would have thought congestion would show up with download speeds, but they are consistently slightly higher than the 45mbps the plan offers. The signal strength I see logging into the SMC is perfect. I recently had Rogers out here to fix a problem with my cable signal, though, so everything was checked by the tech while he was here. I have not considered "upgrading" to one of the new Hybrid Fibre packages. I know the newer CGN modems have more channels, etc., and help to reduce and/or eliminate congestion problems.

I'll give Rogers a call to see what they have to say and will update this thread.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@jimboden wrote:

TeDD13:

Thanks for your thoughts. I guess it's possible the congestion idea has some merit, although I've never seen it in the 4 years I've been on this plan. I would have thought congestion would show up with download speeds, but they are consistently slightly higher than the 45mbps the plan offers. The signal strength I see logging into the SMC is perfect. I recently had Rogers out here to fix a problem with my cable signal, though, so everything was checked by the tech while he was here. I have not considered "upgrading" to one of the new Hybrid Fibre packages. I know the newer CGN modems have more channels, etc., and help to reduce and/or eliminate congestion problems.

I'll give Rogers a call to see what they have to say and will update this thread.

Congestion could go both ways - certainly, upstream capacity is far more scarce on DOCSIS systems than downstream...

But why are you still on old Extreme Plus? I don't remember the details, but wasn't Extreme Plus in the low-mid $70s/month + modem rental range? For that kind of money, you can get tantalizingly close to new Hybrid Fibre 150 with 350GB (550 if you have 3 Rogers services) which is around $86/month including CGN3 rental...

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The old extreme 35 package, was $69.99 + modem rental ontop (or buy obviously)

The new 60/10 is $69.99 INCLUDING the CGN3 rental.
Would be $4 less if you rent the Cisco or CGN2 instead.
(or $12 less if you buy a modem)

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Thanks for all the feedback. I haven't considered going with one of the new packages because I'm reluctant to throw away a modem/router that I paid $250 for and the speeds I'm getting now are perfectly fine for me, except for the recent problem with the upload speed. It is consistently showing 2mbps every time I test it, so it has nothing to do with congestion IMO. As far as the financial difference between the new packages and my current one, I'm rethinking my Rogers services, especially my wireless plan with an iPhone 4S that just completed a 3 year contract.. I may move it to another provider because Rogers is way too expensive, so I would not have 3 services to qualify for the Internet package.

Off topic, but is everyone here still getting email notifications when threads are updated? I did not receive notifications about the previous 2 posts which were made yesterday.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

(I think if you 'subscribe' to the thread under options.. will do that)

Price wouldnt vary going to the new package.. just get the benifit of the faster down/up speeds.
But if you dont have the 3.. you wouldnt get the extra 200g usage..
Weither or not that is necessary, is the question too (if your under 120g a month, then its not needed anyways)

Other providers for internet.. you will often get the same prices (within usually $5) for the same speeds... difference is you get more usage standard.

Really, it comes down to USAGE.  If you DONT need it..  going to a 3rd party provider, your not saving alot... and your adding POTENTIAL other things, if issues arrive. (EG:  Say signal issue while on a 3rd party provider.  you need to put in a ticket with your provider.. then that provider contacts rogers and puts in a ticket for someone to come out, etc. There can be extra steps, and potentially take a little longer)

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Gdkitty:

OK, but I've never actually subscribed to a thread before. I always get emails about replies whether I start a thread or reply in another one.

I forgot to do the obvious and rebooted my modem/router and the upload speed is back to normal. Weird. I've never had that happen before.

As for Rogers services, the only one I'm seriously thinking about going with a different provider is my iPhone. I have a grandfathered plan which costs well over $80 a month with tax and I want to get someting that's about half that.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have never got emails about stuff.. unless i subsribed. 
Under the settings though, the preferences, then preference options, there is an 'auto subsribe', maybe that needs to be re checked.

Maybe your modem had to do some channel re configuring, and got stuck say only on using one upstream channel, etc.

(as for the phone.. do your shopping around.  Really comes down to WHAT features you need or not, as to what the price may be.  Then compare COVERAGE.  Ther are alot of the smaller guys, who have great plan pricing where you are looking at.. BUT their coverare area can be VERY small.)

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Gdkitty:

My preferences are set to auto subscribe and always have been which is why I thought it was strange I didn't get emails yesterday. I did get your reply today, though.

As for the iPhone, I understand what you're saying. I hardly ever use my phone plus I don't need a data plan, so I'm trying to cut back on that expense. Think I'll call Rogers and go over their options. I have looked at their online plans, but the permutations and combinations are really confusing (PayGo etc.). Despite what plan I pick I need the equivalent of Rogers One Number because I get almost zero cell signal where I live. RON at least allows Wi-Fi calls. Of course, there are other options like Skype and some others.