Extreme Plus Plan

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimboden
I'm an Advisor

Re: Extreme Plus Plan

VivienM:

Thanks for the reply. I find it interesting that most advisors in this forum favour bridging to external routers, but there's no way to look at the bridged device afterwards. Surely it's important to be able to look at it from time-to-time for things like firmware versions and signal strength readings. I'll do some digging around in this forum, specifically threads for the CGN3.

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

@jimboden wrote:

VivienM:

Thanks for the reply. I find it interesting that most advisors in this forum favour bridging to external routers, but there's no way to look at the bridged device afterwards. Surely it's important to be able to look at it from time-to-time for things like firmware versions and signal strength readings. I'll do some digging around in this forum, specifically threads for the CGN3.

At the end of the day, with these gateways, we're not operating in an ideal world. In an ideal world, we'd have either gateways with awesome NAT/wifi functionality, or we'd have straight modems with accessible statistics.

But instead, we have what we have, so we might as well make the best of it. And so that may mean byebye signal strength readings...

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Have a look at post #12 in the following thread in order to login to the bridged CGN3:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/180...

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

Datalink:

Thank you for that. I have an old netbook sitting around and wil give it a try. It's running good old XP, but I doubt that will be a problem.

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

Tried the suggestion about using another computer with the IP etc. addresses posted, but it didn't work. It appears superficially that it connects, but there's no outbound traffic, therefore, no Internet connection.

Does anyone know if I reset the CGN3 and log in, if the 7.x.x.x IP address will show and, if so, can I use it to sign in after putting it back in bridge mode?

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

@jimboden wrote:

Tried the suggestion about using another computer with the IP etc. addresses posted, but it didn't work. It appears superficially that it connects, but there's no outbound traffic, therefore, no Internet connection.

Does anyone know if I reset the CGN3 and log in, if the 7.x.x.x IP address will show and, if so, can I use it to sign in after putting it back in bridge mode?

I don't think so - the 7.x.x.x is used for Rogers' private management network, I doubt you could access it from the 'LAN side' of the CGN3.

Honestly, you've reached the same point I have. I gave up. You seem to be more motivated. 🙂

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

VivienM:

Yes, I tend to be very persistent when it comes to most things. Part of it is because I was in the IT business for a few decades. I started as a computer programmer way back when on a mainframe which didn't even have an operating system. I've always been good at solving technical problems, but networking is not my strong suit.Smiley Sad

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

jimboden wrote

Does anyone know if I reset the CGN3 and log in, if the 7.x.x.x IP

address will show and, if so, can I use it to sign in after putting it back in bridge mode?

If you reset the CGN3 back into Gateway mode and login to the modem, navigate to STATUS.....DOCSIS WAN.  The 7.xxx.xxx.xxx address is shown on that page.  In Gateway mode that address can be used to log into the modem.  I have tried it so I know that it does work.  It should work in Bridge mode unless Bridge mode operation results in a different IP address.

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

Datalink:

Thanks. I will give it a try and report back on the result.

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

Well, looks like I'm out of options. I reset the CGN3 and copied its IP info, then put it back into bridge mode. When I enter the IP address, which is 7.73.208.162, I do get to the login screen but, when I enter user ID and password, I get a login failed access denied message. I wonder if that IP is used by Rogers and is blocked somehow.

EDIT: I did a search on the IP address, which says it belongs to the DoD Network Information Center in Columbus Ohio. Very strange.