Extreme Plus Plan

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Extreme Plus Plan

Here is the link for the manual for the printer.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01643304.pdf

The specs on page 262 indicate that some printers are b/g devices only.  Ok, that shouldn't be a problem.  In the Asus router, navigate to WIRELESS.....GENERAL.  Ensure that the Wireless mode is set to Auto.  that will enable the router to run in all modes, b/g/n.  Can you have a second look at the WIRELESS.....PROFESSIONAL page.  Under the Multicast rate that you saw before, 6 lines below should, or might be the Wireless Multicast Forwarding.  Maybe it has moved, but you need to set that to "On"  otherwise you can to wireless printing.

Have a look at the manual page 165 to restore the network defaut settings on the printer.

Then have a look at page 127 and then 162 for the network settings, although I think you will probably be ok to setup the printer from past experience.  Page 164 contains the setup for wireless communications with the Wireless Setup Wizard.  With the router running in auto and the previous network settings reset, you should be able to run the printer in b or g mode without any issue and WPA2 AES as your security setting on the router.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That should read:  Maybe it has moved, but you need to set that to "On"  otherwise you can't do wireless printing.

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

Hold on - if we're dealing with an older printer, it might not do any of this funky newer multicasty stuff. Older networked printers just had the clients hardcoded to an IP.

Here is what I suggest you do:

1. Confirm that the printer is able to get an IP from the Asus. There should be a 'print network settings sheet' setting or something similar.

2. If it isn't getting an IP, then this is a problem with the wireless network. I hate to say it, but if this thing doesn't support WPA2, I think you are better off finding some other way to connect it (e.g. wired to an 802.11n bridge) rather than compromising your wireless network to support it.

3. If it is getting an IP, then go to http://that.ip in a web browser from the other machines. You should get an HP web server admin interface.

Then let's take it from there...

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

Thanks again for everything. I pulled out the HP manual (imagine that!) and it supports WEP, WPA, and WPA2, so it looks like I'm over-complicating things. Also, its Wi-Fi connected light is on, which means it detects a Wi-Fi signal. I think I just have to run its setup wizard again, which is done from the printer itself. Because I'm using WPA2 on the ASUS, even though I'm using my old 128 bit WEP key, I'm sure that's the issue. That combination works for my iPhone, so it should work on the HP.

EDIT: I tried logging into the CGN3 this morning, and I get a message RedirectLoginIdentify in the upper left hand corner of the browser (IE 11). The login credentials are on the screen with a properly filled in user ID and password, but clicking on Login does nothing. Does this sound familiar to anyone? The login address is http://192.168.0.1/login.html I can log into the ASUS with no problem.

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

Think I figured out why the CGN3's IP address is being redirected. It's not included as an IP on the ASUS, therefore it can't be seen. Not sure how to fix it and have looked through all the ASUS options. The only reason I want to log into the CGN3 is to check basic stuff like signal strength.

I've spent a lot of time this morning going through all the options on the ASUS. It is amazingly flexible and I really like the GUI. Thanks again to everyone who recommended it.

EDIT: The HP printer is not accepting the WPA key for whatever reason. I set wireless to Open and it worked fine. Not the best thing to do, but I seldom use the printer, so I can switch back and forth between my normal WPA2 setting and Open whenever I need the printer. Fortunately, the ASUS makes it real easy.

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

@jimboden wrote:

Think I figured out why the CGN3's IP address is being redirected. It's not included as an IP on the ASUS, therefore it can't be seen. Not sure how to fix it and have looked through all the ASUS options. The only reason I want to log into the CGN3 is to check basic stuff like signal strength.

I've spent a lot of time this morning going through all the options on the ASUS. It is amazingly flexible and I really like the GUI. Thanks again to everyone who recommended it.

EDIT: The HP printer is not accepting the WPA key for whatever reason. I set wireless to Open and it worked fine. Not the best thing to do, but I seldom use the printer, so I can switch back and forth between my normal WPA2 setting and Open whenever I need the printer. Fortunately, the ASUS makes it real easy.

Logging in to a bridged CGN3, unlike a DPC3825, may be near impossible. There's one methodology set out here that I was never ableto get working...

Have you updated the printer to the latest firmware? (Note: make sure to do this with a wired direct USB connection to the printer. HP firmware installers will brick the printer if you do it over a network connection, in my experience, though this bricking can be reversed with considerable skill...)

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Jumping in a little late here.. but if its anything like my HP printer.. It may be locked in.

You'll have to try and find how to do a HARD reset... they dont like getting rid of the old addresses, etc on them.

After that, re-run the setup from the disk..

That worked for me.

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

VivienM:

Thank you. I've never updated the HP's firmware and it's about 6 years old, so you make an excellent point.

Were you trying to post a link to the methodology HERE? I would be interested in looking at it if you could. I was thinking I could just add its IP address as another device on the ASUS, but I can't see a setting for it.

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

Gdkitty:

Thank you. I'll take a look at the reset, which is something I've never used. The setup on mine is not done from a CD, it's done on the printer itself. There's a tool icon in the display which looks like a wrench. Pressing it takes me to a long list of setup options, including the network connection.

Off topic but, once again, I'm not subscribed to this thread, even though I forced it myself, so I did not get email for the last 2 replies.

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

@jimboden wrote:

Were you trying to post a link to the methodology HERE? I would be interested in looking at it if you could. I was thinking I could just add its IP address as another device on the ASUS, but I can't see a setting for it.

I'm not sure where that methodology is found... it's somewhere around this forum...

The big problem is that you'd need to add another IP (on some 192.168.something private subnet) to the _outside_ interface of the Asus router, which I doubt it would let you do. And even if it did, it would get very, very, very messy...

Frankly, I have just come to accept that I will no longer have access to the statistics that I used to get on the DPC3825. Such is life...