cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme Plus Plan

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

I have the old Extreme Plus Internet package, which has a download speed of 45mbps and an upload speed of 4mbps. I check my speeds with speedtest.net and the Rogers cable app every once in a while. I've noticed over the past few days that my upload speed is now 2mbps, but download is still normal. Does anyone know if Rogers can change the upload speed by doing something to my modem/router? I have the SMCD3GN.

***edited labels***

147 REPLIES 147

Re: Extreme Plus Plan

@Datalink wrote:

I believe that there is only two ports active when the CGN3 is bridged, but don’t quote me on that one.

I actually plugged in a laptop directly into the second port of my bridged CGN3 once (I was trying to test some configurations to reach the CGN3's admin interface), and Rogers' DHCP promptly assigned it an IP address.

VivienM:

Interesting. Maybe the manual is out-of-date. What LAN port on your CGN do you use to connect to your ASUS WAN? I used the upper one assuming it's LAN 1, but am thinking it might be the bottom one as the ASUS did not recognize it.

Got a big surprise this morning. Checked the signal strength as per below and the dbmv readings for downstream are close to perfect. The upstream still doesn't look right, though, and my upload speed is now 11mbps. Also checked my PVR signal strengths and they are also almost perfect. It would seem that someone at Rogers found the problem, which may have been at their end. A tech is scheduled to come out this afternoon. I will call in and report the problem has been resolved, but will mention the slow upload speed. I guess 11mbps isn't the end of the world, though. The package does state upload speeds of "up to" 15mbps, so it doesn't sound like a guarantee.

Yesterday, the CGN signal was so bad, I couldn't even keep my iPhone connected on Wi-Fi more than about 5 feet from the CGN.

Downstream Overview
Port ID Frequency (MHz) Modulation Signal strength (dBmV) Signal noise ratio (dB) Channel ID
1 633000000 256QAM 1.000 38.983 7
2 591000000 256QAM -0.200 38.605 1
3 597000000 256QAM -0.100 38.983 2
4 603000000 256QAM 0.500 38.983 3
5 609000000 256QAM 0.700 38.605 4
6 615000000 256QAM -0.300 38.605 5
7 621000000 256QAM 0.400 38.605 6
8 639000000 256QAM 0.300 38.983 8
9 645000000 256QAM 0.900 38.983 9
10 651000000 256QAM 0.900 38.983 10
11 657000000 256QAM 0.700 38.983 11
12 663000000 256QAM 0.700 38.605 12
13 669000000 256QAM 1.800 38.983 37
14 675000000 256QAM 1.200 38.605 38
15 681000000 256QAM 0.400 38.983 39
16 687000000 256QAM 0.800 38.605 40
17 693000000 256QAM 2.200 38.983 41
18 699000000 256QAM 1.100 38.605 42
19 705000000 256QAM 0.800 38.983 43
20 711000000 256QAM 1.000 38.983 44
Upstream Overview
Port ID Frequency (MHz) BandWidth Modulation Type Signal Strength (dBmV) Channel ID
1 38596000 3200000 ATDMA 45.750 1
2 23700000 6400000 ATDMA 44.250 3
3 30596000 6400000 ATDMA 44.250 2

I wouldn't cancel the appointment.  Your upstream levels are still 7 dBmV above where they should normally be.  And, keep an eye on the downstream levels as the morning progresses.  If those levels drop, that might indicate that the node power levels are dropping as the load increases with more users online.  It might point to a node power issue.

It has been previously reported that you can get two IP addresses from the CGN3 with it is operating in Bridge mode.

Datalink:

Yes, I agree. It makes sense to let the tech come out. I will keep my eye on signal levels this morning. I'm cautiously optimistic that downstream will remain decent because my PVR dbmv readings are the best I have ever seen. They are in a very tight range of about -2 to +2 dbmv on every channel I looked at.

My iPhone is also getting upload speeds of 11mbps on Wi-Fi.

OK, tech was out. Turns out the signal issue started a few days ago. Multiple techs have been working on the problem for a couple of days. There was an issue in the neighbourhood and they replaced a lot of equipment in what he called mains in a laneway. Most of that was done by yesterday, which is why I suddently got more or less perfect signals this morning. As for the upstream readings, he claims readings from the mid-30's to mid-50's are normal and mine is in the middle. When I showed him a speed test, I got just over 11mbps. He also reminded me that Rogers says upload speeds are up to 15mbps, as I mentioned earlier in this thread.

Now that it's behind me, I can get back to installing the ASUS.

Just set up the ASUS router and, yes, the CGN3 LAN 1 port is the bottom, not the top one. After only a few minutes setting up the ASUS, all I can say is I'm extremely impressed. My upload/download wired speeds are exactly the same as before (195mbps and 11mbps), plus the wireless download speed on my iPhone is about 43 mbps, and the upload is about 11mbps with security turned on. With the CGN3, my download speed was about 24mbps with security turned on. In addition, Rogers One Number works perfectly and I didn't have to set up a thing for it to work. It just worked right out of the box. Smiley Very Happy

Tried to set up my wireless printer and can't find an option anywhere. The only reference I can find to printing is under the USB application, but it's not wireless. Have to do some homework on this, so Google is my friend again.

@jimboden wrote:

Tried to set up my wireless printer and can't find an option anywhere. The only reference I can find to printing is under the USB application, but it's not wireless. Have to do some homework on this, so Google is my friend again.

I'm confused. Assuming you have the printer programmed to the proper SSID/WPA2 key/etc (which is done within the printer), why would you need to set anything up in the Asus router?

(The problem with wireless printers and the CGN3 has to do with the CGN3 not properly handling some multicast stuff, I believe)

For your wireless printer, navigate to WIRELESS....PROFESSIONAL.  Down the page is a setting titled "Wireless Multicast Forwarding".  Enable that function and you should be good to go for wireless printing.  Reboot the router and then check your printer settings on your laptop as the laptop and printer address will have changed from your previous router.  Basically you need to relocate the printer from your laptop.  When the laptop knows where to find the printer, you should be ok.

Also check the following.  Navigate to LAN.....SWITCH CONTROL.  On that page check to see if "enable HW Accelerator" is on.  That is a bypass path that routes Web addresses to LAN IP addresses at the chip level, bypassing  a lot of functions that are completed by the router processor.  If you ever notice slow performance with your AC68U, check that setting, as there are functions that will disable it, possilby without warning when the other functions are enabled. 

One last check that you might want to run is a port scan using the grc.com site.  Here's the page to start the port scan:

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

VivienM:

Excellent point! It has my SMC settings in it, but the ASUS SSID is different. Will have a go at that.

Datalink:

Thanks for all that. I'll set up the printer properly as mentioned by VivienM first to see if that solves the problem.

I looked at Wireless Professional settings, but there's no Wireless Multicast Forwarding setting. The only reference to Multicast is Multicast Rate (mbps). One thing I have not done yet is to check for firmware updates, so I'll do that ASAP.

@jimboden wrote:

I looked at Wireless Professional settings, but there's no Wireless Multicast Forwarding setting. The only reference to Multicast is Multicast Rate (mbps). One thing I have not done yet is to check for firmware updates, so I'll do that ASAP.

Newest firmware came out in July or August; hopefully your unit has something close to that...

Note that Asus recommends that you reset all settings to factory defaults with upgrading firmware. The merits of that recommendation are... to be debated another day.

VivienM:

Just completed a firmware update. Version is 3.0.0.4.376_1663. Also just double-checked my SSID and it's the same as it was for my SMC, as is the security key.

Security Key....Weren't you using WEP previously?  Are you still using WEP, which is not supported by 802.11n?

Datalink:

Yes, I was using WEP, so that must be the problem. What I did was use my old key, but the security level is WPA Personal and It works with my iPhone. The printer is not an N device, it's much older than that. Do you know how I can use WEP? On the CGN3, it only worked by turning off WPS, but that doesn't work with the ASUS. Also, I can't seem to find a mixed mode that supports all the older devices below N, but maybe auto does it, which is where it's set.

Here is the link for the manual for the printer.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01643304.pdf

The specs on page 262 indicate that some printers are b/g devices only.  Ok, that shouldn't be a problem.  In the Asus router, navigate to WIRELESS.....GENERAL.  Ensure that the Wireless mode is set to Auto.  that will enable the router to run in all modes, b/g/n.  Can you have a second look at the WIRELESS.....PROFESSIONAL page.  Under the Multicast rate that you saw before, 6 lines below should, or might be the Wireless Multicast Forwarding.  Maybe it has moved, but you need to set that to "On"  otherwise you can to wireless printing.

Have a look at the manual page 165 to restore the network defaut settings on the printer.

Then have a look at page 127 and then 162 for the network settings, although I think you will probably be ok to setup the printer from past experience.  Page 164 contains the setup for wireless communications with the Wireless Setup Wizard.  With the router running in auto and the previous network settings reset, you should be able to run the printer in b or g mode without any issue and WPA2 AES as your security setting on the router.

That should read:  Maybe it has moved, but you need to set that to "On"  otherwise you can't do wireless printing.

Hold on - if we're dealing with an older printer, it might not do any of this funky newer multicasty stuff. Older networked printers just had the clients hardcoded to an IP.

Here is what I suggest you do:

1. Confirm that the printer is able to get an IP from the Asus. There should be a 'print network settings sheet' setting or something similar.

2. If it isn't getting an IP, then this is a problem with the wireless network. I hate to say it, but if this thing doesn't support WPA2, I think you are better off finding some other way to connect it (e.g. wired to an 802.11n bridge) rather than compromising your wireless network to support it.

3. If it is getting an IP, then go to http://that.ip in a web browser from the other machines. You should get an HP web server admin interface.

Then let's take it from there...

Thanks again for everything. I pulled out the HP manual (imagine that!) and it supports WEP, WPA, and WPA2, so it looks like I'm over-complicating things. Also, its Wi-Fi connected light is on, which means it detects a Wi-Fi signal. I think I just have to run its setup wizard again, which is done from the printer itself. Because I'm using WPA2 on the ASUS, even though I'm using my old 128 bit WEP key, I'm sure that's the issue. That combination works for my iPhone, so it should work on the HP.

EDIT: I tried logging into the CGN3 this morning, and I get a message RedirectLoginIdentify in the upper left hand corner of the browser (IE 11). The login credentials are on the screen with a properly filled in user ID and password, but clicking on Login does nothing. Does this sound familiar to anyone? The login address is http://192.168.0.1/login.html I can log into the ASUS with no problem.

Think I figured out why the CGN3's IP address is being redirected. It's not included as an IP on the ASUS, therefore it can't be seen. Not sure how to fix it and have looked through all the ASUS options. The only reason I want to log into the CGN3 is to check basic stuff like signal strength.

I've spent a lot of time this morning going through all the options on the ASUS. It is amazingly flexible and I really like the GUI. Thanks again to everyone who recommended it.

EDIT: The HP printer is not accepting the WPA key for whatever reason. I set wireless to Open and it worked fine. Not the best thing to do, but I seldom use the printer, so I can switch back and forth between my normal WPA2 setting and Open whenever I need the printer. Fortunately, the ASUS makes it real easy.

@jimboden wrote:

Think I figured out why the CGN3's IP address is being redirected. It's not included as an IP on the ASUS, therefore it can't be seen. Not sure how to fix it and have looked through all the ASUS options. The only reason I want to log into the CGN3 is to check basic stuff like signal strength.

I've spent a lot of time this morning going through all the options on the ASUS. It is amazingly flexible and I really like the GUI. Thanks again to everyone who recommended it.

EDIT: The HP printer is not accepting the WPA key for whatever reason. I set wireless to Open and it worked fine. Not the best thing to do, but I seldom use the printer, so I can switch back and forth between my normal WPA2 setting and Open whenever I need the printer. Fortunately, the ASUS makes it real easy.

Logging in to a bridged CGN3, unlike a DPC3825, may be near impossible. There's one methodology set out here that I was never ableto get working...

Have you updated the printer to the latest firmware? (Note: make sure to do this with a wired direct USB connection to the printer. HP firmware installers will brick the printer if you do it over a network connection, in my experience, though this bricking can be reversed with considerable skill...)