cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme Plus Plan

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

I have the old Extreme Plus Internet package, which has a download speed of 45mbps and an upload speed of 4mbps. I check my speeds with speedtest.net and the Rogers cable app every once in a while. I've noticed over the past few days that my upload speed is now 2mbps, but download is still normal. Does anyone know if Rogers can change the upload speed by doing something to my modem/router? I have the SMCD3GN.

***edited labels***

147 REPLIES 147

Re: Extreme Plus Plan

Datalink:

Yes, I have a wired connection. Speedtest.net shows 194mbps download and 10.79 upload, so nothing has changed.

In a "real world" test, I coincidentally just started Steam and it did an automatic update for one of my games. It showed a download speed of about 70mbps. There are lots of variables in that, of course. With my SMC, Steam always showed 60mbps download. Of course, I have no idea what Steam's servers are capable of doing.

Your upload is probably limited by the high upstream power levels.  Looks like your internet is working ok, but your upload is limited below what you are paying for.

Datalink:

Yeah, that's the bottom line. I'm surprised downloads are so fast with such a lousy signal. When I install the ASUS, do you think there will be any difference? I think probably not, but don't know for sure.

For now, I'm tempted to carry on without calling tech support. My cable box shows decent signal strength readings, so there are no issues there. My SMC also never had any issues and it was connected to exactly the same cable as the CGN3.

Well, I spoke too soon about my cable signal. Just checked a bunch of channels while in the diagnostic screen and am getting lots of orange readings in the very low dbmv range. Lots of them are around -18dbmv but, surprising enough, the channels are locking on without a problem. I noticed there was a Rogers truck in front of the house a couple of days ago. Now I'm wondering if a tech was here and caused this problem. Guess I will call Rogers after all.

You can still carry on, switch the CGN3 into Bridge mode and install the Asus router.  There is a way to get back into the CGN3 when its in Bridge mode so that you can check the levels again as shown in post #12 on the following page:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/180...

Alternatively, you can just reset the CGN3 by using the recessed reset button at the back of the modem.  Hold for 10 seconds and release, and it will run a factory reset and come back up in Gateway mode.  Move your pc ethernet connection from the Asus router to the CGN3 and you can log back into the CGN3.  You might have to reboot the pc if it doesn't pick up the new IP address from the CGN3 automatically.  Once complete, switch the CGN3 back into Bridge mode and reconnect your pc back to the Asus router.  Once again, reboot the pc if necesssary to pick up the IP address.

Datalink:

Thank you. I will keep that in mind. I'm calling Rogers today to have a tech come out. Think I'll leave the ASUS off to the side until he's been here. All I need is for him to tell me the ASUS is causing the problem. My experience is some of these guys are lazy and will try to blame the user and/or other equipment for a problem rather than trying to figure it out himself.

Rogers techs are very hit and miss. The last time I had one out was in response to a signal problem which was, as it turned out, caused by a tech who was here setting up Rogers services in the upper part of the house. After he left, I started having problems. The tech who came out for my service call found the connectors in the outside box were not tightened properly. He fixed that and came into my place and replaced some connectors and a splitter. When he left, my signal was almost perfect, specifically for my cable box which is where I was having signal problems.

Slightly off topic, but for the first time since I got the CGN3, I placed a call with Rogers One Number. All of its audio settings are normal and it plays back a test tone. When I dial a number, it connects, but there's no audio on my end. I've never seen this before and have been using RON for years. I'm wondering if there's something I have to do with CGN3 settings. Not sure if it's the cause or a coincidence. RON has been a little flaky lately, but not this way.

EDIT: Tried a call from my iPhone with the RON mobile app using Wi-Fi, and got the same problem. No audio on an outgoing call. I turned off Wi-Fi and RON had audio with a call over cellular.

Sounds like a good reason to get a tech out to your home.....no phone service and slow upload rates.

Datalink:

Yes, I was trying to call Rogers when I ran into this problem. What I don't understand is why I wasn't getting audio on an outgoing call which was made from my computer wired connection. The call went through and connected, so that wasn't an issue, only the lack of audio. I guess it's possible RON doesn't work with the CGN3, but who knows.

Got through to Rogers tech support and the rep on the phone said he can see the signal problem at his end. He couldn't schedule an appointment over the phone because a database wasn't available and someone will call me back.

@jimboden wrote:

Slightly off topic, but for the first time since I got the CGN3, I placed a call with Rogers One Number. All of its audio settings are normal and it plays back a test tone. When I dial a number, it connects, but there's no audio on my end. I've never seen this before and have been using RON for years. I'm wondering if there's something I have to do with CGN3 settings. Not sure if it's the cause or a coincidence. RON has been a little flaky lately, but not this way.

EDIT: Tried a call from my iPhone with the RON mobile app using Wi-Fi, and got the same problem. No audio on an outgoing call. I turned off Wi-Fi and RON had audio with a call over cellular.

That doesn't surprise me. The CGN3's NAT has a well-documented aversion to VoIP, at least the more traditional SIP-based providers. A friend of mine who never had a problem with a Babytel VoIP box behind a DPC3825... when he upgraded to a CGN3, same thing, no voice in one (or both? I forget) direction. It took a lot of manual port forwarding to make it work.

I know nothing about how RON is implemented, but it wouldn't surprise me that the same problem would affect it.

Time to get that yummy Asus out of its box... 😉

VivienM:

Thank you! Suspicion confirmed. Yet another thumbs down for the CGN3Smiley Tongue

I just find it so ironic that Rogers' flag ship modem/router doesn't work out of the box with its own RON service. Where's that emoticon for dumb when I need it? Checked the CGN3 manual and there's no mention of VOIP or SIP. Guess that says it all.

Haven't heard back from Rogers yet about getting a tech out here. Time to try out the ASUS while I'm waiting.

TeDD13
I'm a Trusted Contributor
I am the owner of two CGN3s and successfully use one of them for VOIP at my parents'.

The problem of no audio in outgoing calls is most likely the result of the absence or incorrect port forwarding rules. I experienced that problem myself when I forwarded the wrong ports.

I would like to point out that I never used RON myself, but I use another VOIP provider with CGN3 without a problem. VOIP is usually quite difficuilt to configure without express information about which ports need to be accessible and properly forwarded.

TeDD13:

Very interesting. Thank you for posting that. I won't be trying to configure port forwarding on the CGN3 because I have no idea what port numbers are used for RON. When I get my ASUS router set up, I'll see what needs to be done there.

Here is the help page for the Rogers One Number:

https://www.rogersonenumber.ca/help

And here is the link for port forwarding required by Rogers One Number, which is from that help page list:

https://www.rogersonenumber.ca/help/article/Firewall_Issues?locale=en

Datalink:

Thank you for those links. I did a Google search and found the one in your second link. I logged into the CGN3 and looked at port forwarding, but how to implement it correctly is beyond me at the moment. It's a moot point anyway as I need to set it up with my ASUS router. Of course, it may or may not be more straight forward than the CGN3.

What annoys me is that my old SMC modem/router handled these things (wireless printing, RON support) without me having to do anythng. It was all truly plug and play. I wonder why Rogers chose Hitron for its advanced modem/router. I guess it's possible Hitron is the only company that supports all the channels Rogers needed in a new product.

Had my first go at installing the ASUS and it didn't work. I bridged the CGN3 and connected a cable from the CGN3's LAN 1 port to the ASUS WAN port as per instructions. Maybe my definition of the CGN3's LAN port is incorrect. I assumed it is the top and not the bottom one, but the manual doesn't mention it. For the ASUS setup routine, I used DNS auto, but it kept cycling back around each time I tried it, instructing me to unplug the modem, wait for a certain amount of time, then plug it back in. I went through that a few times, but no dice. Guess I'm doing something wrong, so I'll try it again using the bottom LAN port instead. I had to reset the CGN3 to get out of the mess because, without an internet connection, you can't log into it. Catch 22.

Got confirmation today that a tech is coming out tomorrow to look at the signal strength problem. It's getting worse every day for some reason. The CGN dbmv readings are now down in the -13 to -14 range. Surprisingly, download speeds are stil close to 200mbps and uploads are 10mbps.

I believe that there is only two ports active when the CGN3 is bridged, but don’t quote me on that one. In any event, when you plug the AC68U into any of the CGN3 ports, you should see the port LED at the back of the CGN3 light up, indicating that it is active. It should be amber in colour indicating that the port to port data rate is 1 Gb/s. If it is green, that would indicate that the port is only running at 100 Mb/s and the port throughput would be subject to throttling by an internal firmware bug. It would also indicate that the Cat 5e or 6 cable that you have used is damaged or not making contact at the ports.

When you start the AC68U, regardless of whether or not it is plugged into the CGN3 you can obtain the IP address to enable you to log in. Bring up a command prompt and type: IPCONFIG/ALL   That will display the pc connection information including the “Default Gateway” address. Once you know that address you can use it in the address bar of your web browser. So, you shouldn’t have to plug the AC68U into the CGN3 in order for it to obtain or use a default IP Gateway address. Obviously, without a connection to the CGN3, its booting up with a default address.

Looking at the online simulation the IP address shown is 192.168.1.1. I don’t know if that might be the default address or not. You could try that with the AC68U unplugged from the CGN3.

For the DNS, without a DNS entry in the AC68U, it should be using Rogers DNS. It looks like the router is having a hard time with that for some reason. You can use any DNS service you choose, such as Google or Open Dns for example. To enter that, login to the AC68U and navigate to LAN….DHCP Server. Down on that page, in the DNS Server entry window enter one of the following if you prefer to use Google or OpenDns:

Google: 8.8.8.8

OpenDNS: 208.67.222.222

Hit Apply on the bottom and you should be done with the DNS address.

Datalink:

Thanks again. The CGN manual says only one port is active and it's LAN 1. Before I get back to trying the ASUS, I'm going to wait until the tech has been here tomorrow to fix the signal problem, then I'll spend time on the weekend setting up the ASUS again.

@jimboden wrote:
I wonder why Rogers chose Hitron for its advanced modem/router. I guess it's possible Hitron is the only company that supports all the channels Rogers needed in a new product.

When I had looked a few months ago, Arris (formerly Motorola) and Cisco, at least, did not offer anything with more than 8 channel DOCSIS 3.

So I suspect Rogers didn't have much of a choice if they wanted a >8-channel modem, which they more or less need for the crazy speeds they offer. (Keep in mind that some US MSOs, like Time Warner, have 50 megabits as their highest speed tier...)

@TeDD13 wrote:
VOIP is usually quite difficuilt to configure without express information about which ports need to be accessible and properly forwarded.

I have to disagree on that one. I ran a babytel box for years behind a FreeBSD natd firewall without any need for explicit port forwarding. A friend of mine used babytel with no manual port forwarding behind his DPC3825, but had crazy troubles with the CGN3.

Clearly, there is some magic to making VoIP behind NAT that other vendors have mastered, but that isn't operational in the CGN3's current firmware...

Topic Stats
  • 147 replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 5 in conversation