Extreme Plus Plan

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Re: Extreme Plus Plan

Datalink:

Thanks for the comment. I don't have a clue what DD-WRT is, so I looked it up. Unless the Linksys firmware has shortcomings that matter to me, it's a non-issue. My requirements are real simple. I only have 2 wireless devices, an iPhone and an HP printer. In addition, I have 4 wired devices, my computer, a smart TV, and Denon AVR, and a PS3. All of that is working fine now on my SMCD3GN. I just need something to overcome the shortcomings of the CGN3 so I can get the 150/15 package from Rogers.

I read the reviews of the Linksys and ASUS on CNet and both were highly recommended. As is typical, the comments from the actual users of these devices were all over the map. People complained about losing connections and other things not working for both of them. It's really hard to separate the chaff from the wheat, so I guess selecting one is a bit of a hit-and-miss proposition.Smiley Tongue

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

VivienM:

Thanks for the recommendation. I've been looking around for that model, but not having much success. Everyone seems to be out of stock, which is probably a good sign in terms of its popularity. My only concern is that model is well over 2 years old, although it might not matter. I just have to make my mind up between it and the Linksys. I'm waiting for Future Shop to restock its supply of CGN3's and they already have the Linksys in stock. The only reason I'm waiting for them instead of going to Rogers is a $50 plus tax price different in favour of Future Shop.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@jimboden wrote:

VivienM:

Thanks for the recommendation. I've been looking around for that model, but not having much success. Everyone seems to be out of stock, which is probably a good sign in terms of its popularity. My only concern is that model is well over 2 years old, although it might not matter. I just have to make my mind up between it and the Linksys. I'm waiting for Future Shop to restock its supply of CGN3's and they already have the Linksys in stock. The only reason I'm waiting for them instead of going to Rogers is a $50 plus tax price different in favour of Future Shop.

Could you be confusing the AC66U and the AC68U? The 68U (the one I'm recommending) came out about a year ago and runs newer Broadcom 802.11ac than the 66U...

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

VivienM:

Yes, you are correct. I've been lost in a maze of model numbers. I haven't read the AC68U review, but I will. Smiley Happy

EDIT: Read the CNet review and, as usual, it was gushing about how great it is. However, also as usual, there was a mix of positive and negative comments from people who actually own and use it. Having said that, I will defer to the positive comments on this thread and will search for one. Smiley Happy

Just looked at another review on Tom's Guide which lists the router's dimensions at 12x8.5x3.2. Obviously, the 3.2 is the depth, but I'm not clear which one is the height, including the antennae because the review doesn't specify H or W. It seems extremely tall in the photo, especially when taking the antennae into account. Can anyone tell me if the 12 inches is the height or the width? It appears in the photo that the width is 12 inches and the height is 8 inches, which probably does not include the antennae. I'm trying to figure out if it will fit on my Bello stand and the height is the important dimension. Width is OK either way.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

jimboden wrote:Just looked at another review on Tom's Guide which lists the router's dimensions at 12x8.5x3.2. Obviously, the 3.2 is the depth, but I'm not clear which one is the height, including the antennae because the review doesn't specify H or W. It seems extremely tall in the photo, especially when taking the antennae into account. Can anyone tell me if the 12 inches is the height or the width? It appears in the photo that the width is 12 inches and the height is 8 inches, which probably does not include the antennae. I'm trying to figure out if it will fit on my Bello stand and the height is the important dimension. Width is OK either way.

Just measured mine. Height of the actual unit is about 6.5 inches, when counting the antennae it's more like 11-12 inches.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

VivienM:

Thank you. 12 inches fits on my shelf with a little head room to spare.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Found the Asus on Newegg.ca and placed an order. Thanks again to all of you for your help. Now I just have to wait for a CGN3 and I'm in business. Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you're not in a hurry, wait until Best Buy or Future Shop has the CGN3 on sale for $150.  When you do bring a CGN3 home, do not use the USB Setup Key that comes with it.  Throw the USB Setup Key out.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Datalink:

I didn't know they sold it for $150. Right now, both Future Shop and BB are showing $199.99 on their web sites, but out of stock. Rogers still sells it for $250. Thanks for the advice about the USB setup key. What does it do? Also, what is the sequence of events I should follow. Obviously, I can install the CGN3, but where do I get Rogers involved aside from upgrading to the 150/15 package? I assume Rogers controls the firmware in the CGN3.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@jimboden wrote:

Datalink:

I didn't know they sold it for $150. Right now, both Future Shop and BB are showing $199.99 on their web sites, but out of stock. Rogers still sells it for $250. Thanks for the advice about the USB setup key. What does it do? Also, what is the sequence of events I should follow. Obviously, I can install the CGN3, but where do I get Rogers involved aside from upgrading to the 150/15 package? I assume Rogers controls the firmware in the CGN3.

You'd have to call Rogers to get them to put the CGN3 on your account; when they're doign that, they can switch you to the 150/15 package, and they can also put the CGN3 in bridge mode for you, or you can do that yourself...

Rogers controls things like firmware upgrades, but you can control bridge mode vs router mode, the wifi settings if in router mode, etc...