cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme Plus Plan

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

I have the old Extreme Plus Internet package, which has a download speed of 45mbps and an upload speed of 4mbps. I check my speeds with speedtest.net and the Rogers cable app every once in a while. I've noticed over the past few days that my upload speed is now 2mbps, but download is still normal. Does anyone know if Rogers can change the upload speed by doing something to my modem/router? I have the SMCD3GN.

***edited labels***

147 REPLIES 147

Re: Extreme Plus Plan

Depending on your TV or AVR.. i could see them maybe only having 10/100.. so might be effected by the bug.. but if throughput on them is not as critical.. i wouldnt worry about it.
(if streaming stuff through them via DLNA, etc.. all of that will likely be not doing 35+ anyways)

Yeah.. the only other thing, you will run into, as Datalink mentioned.. is the wireless printer. 😞

One option.. if you have even say a old old old wireless router sticking around.. it to set it up as a seperate AP,  just for the Wireless printer.
Alternatively..   bridge mode.. or a better one to replace the wireless alltogether as an AP, etc.

(can confirm, using a 3rd party just as an AP for wireless only, the CGN3 still doing the routing... wireless printing works.)

Thank you gentlemen. I'm totally confused about wireless printers, though. Are you both saying they simply don't work with the CGN3 as it's configured out of the box? I have no way of connecting my printer other than wirelessly as it's in a different room from my computer. That's a deal breaker for me. I'm not interested in playing around with other routers, etc. just to get a functioning system. My SMC is 4 years old and it has none of the problems mentioned in the many threads on the CGN3.

This is a rhetorical question, but why is it that Rogers keeps introducing new products like the NextBox 3 and the CGN3 that don't work as well as their predecessors and/or have lots of "bugs"? In my case, that would be my SMC router and a 10 year old 8300HD PVR.

"Are you both saying they simply don't work with the CGN3 as it's configured out of the box?"  Yup, unfortunately.  But, there is more than one way to connect a wireless printer which no one seems to remember.  If the printer has an ethernet connection, you can simply connect via ethernet from the router which in the end gives you a wireless connection from the pc/laptop to the router and then wired to the printer.  So it's still wireless from the pc/laptop.  There is also wireless direct and bluetooth.  What you could do is determine if you can connect through either wireless direct or bluetooth.  If you're successful, you don't need a wireless router to support a printer and going to the CGN3 wouldn't be an issue.  If you can't connect via those two, keep in mind that the next firmware version is rumoured to be out before the new year.  Hopefully it will address this situation, but my guess is that we won't know until its out.

Here are a couple of links that might help:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ads/mobility/wireless-direct-printing.html

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0%2c2817%2c2411967%2c00.asp

Datalink:

Thanks for the reply. As I said earlier, I cannot connect my printer via cables, ethernet or otherwise, because it's in a separate room from my computer. That's why I use wireless. The HP is an OfficeJet 8500 which is about 6 years old and there's no Bluetooth support, only Wi-Fi. It has worked flawlessly on wireless for 6 years, even back in the days when Rogers didn't support it directly. I had a Rogers Motorola modem connected to a Dlink router. They were replaced by my SMC router 4 years ago when I moved into a new place and got the first Extreme Internet package.

Thanks for everything. You and Gdkitty have prevented me from making a big mistake. Rogers is just so disappointing. I laugh when I see their marketing hype referring to the CGN3 as an "advanced Wi-Fi modem". Yeah, it's so advanced and far into the future that it doesn't support wireless printers. Smiley Tongue

The irony of all this is, as far as I know, my SMC is capable of supporting the higher speed Hybrid Fibre plans, at least the 60/10 one and maybe even the 150/15. I understand from being on these forums that Rogers won't allow me to use it for that purpose because they are concerned about congestion, and the SMC doesn't have enough channels.

Correct..

Well.. here is another thought to look at.

I know you were loooking at the 150 package for the extra upload..

BUT... what about the 60/10 package?  It still has a decent upload on it.
AND.. with those.. you are able to go with the CISCO one (which is 8 channel... so still higher than the SMC).

As far as i am aware.. wireless printing does work on that one. (not sure if it does or not on the CGN2)

Gdkitty:

Thanks for that. What's the Cisco one called?

I just had another thought myself. You mentioned using another router with the CGN3 to take care of the wireless printing problem. I do have my old Dlink router from many years ago sitting around, but I don't know if it's up to the task these days. How would it be used with the CGN3?

That would be the DPC-3825.  There are probably a couple of ways to use your older D-Link router.  One would be to connect it to the CGN3 via ethernet and set it up as an access point, running its own network with just the wireless printer connected to it.  You would then use the wireless on the CGN3 for your pc or laptop on a different wireless network.  The second way to use it would be to configure the D-Link to act as a wireless bridge to the CGN3.  The D-Link is then connected via USB or ethernet to the printer.  If the printer and D-Link router don't have a common connection capability like USB or ethernet ports you would probably have to use the first method.

The Cisco one is the DPC 3825 as Datalink said.

All in all, not a bad modem.. BUT not great either.

PERSONALLY.. especially if you wanted to get th 150 plan.. i would go about using your old Dlink.
Is it the greatest, get the best speeds? No, not likely.. but for just printing.. who cares?

Getting the CGN3, if you are using the wireless on it, etc.. will also give the advantage of the 5ghz range on it as well.

-----

As for setup..
I would set up your CGN3, create your PRIMARY wireless network. 

Choose your SSIDs (i would choose DIFFERENT names between the 2.4 and 5ghz ones.)

On your 2.4... you will want to set a specific channel.
(now, up to you if you want to do a little site survey or not before hand, we can help you run)

Usually 1 or 6 or 11.
NORMALLY if most people leave things on default, you will see the MOST around the 6 mark... SAFEST, unless there is something specific in the area already on it, i would likely thing 1 would be the best.

(Durring all the above.. the CGN3 should be on 192.168.0.1 i beleive.. if not, change any addresses that follow accordingly if its .1.1, etc)

Now, separately, you will want to set up your dlink to get it ready.
Plug a PC into it wired (hopefully, its the easiest), and with it NOT connected to anything else.
Let it get an address, and you should be able to then log into ITS setup page.
(worse case if you dont remember... do a HARD reset on it.. hold the reset for a good 20+ seconds then release.. and then can start fresh).
You will want to change the router from DYNAMIC (getting the address normally from the modem) to STATIC.. and then set is as an IP in the range of your CGN3s ips  (EG: 192.168.0.2).
Set up your wireless security on it.. a different SSID.. probably channel 11.
Turn OFF DHCP, firewall, etc on it.
So pretty much now, it should only allow thing to connect to it.. but they will go back to the CGN3 to get their address from the DHCP there.
When plugging in, you dont want to put it in the WAN port.. but one of the LAN ports.

OK, I have lots of food for thought here. Thanks to everyone again. I'm not in a rush to upgrade my Internet plan, so I've decided to wait for a while to see if/when the CGN3 problem gets fixed, presumably by a firmware update, so I will continue to watch this forum. In the meantime, I'll experiment with my old router, which I should be able to do wtih my SMC modem.

I went back to my local Rogers store today and asked them to cancel the hold on a CGN3 which they arranged at another store. I told them about the lack of wireless printer support on the CGN3 and, guess what? They were completely surprised. Smiley Wink

EDIT: I was working on this reply when Gdkitty posted the above. Thank you very much for all that work. I'm going to copy it into a Word document for easy reference.

One last question (I promise Smiley LOL).

I've downloaded the CGN3 manual and done a quick review, plus I've been doing more thinking about all the discussions in this thread. I have decided the most sensible thing to do is get a decent router and bridge the CGN3. Obviously, that will cost me a bit more. My question is actually two fold. First, is there any particular router that stands out, and second, should I consider one that supports IEEE 802.11ac? I don't have any devices that support ac but, as the future unfolds, who knows?

EDIT: Just came across this Linksys advertised on Future Shop. This link is for the Linksys web site: http://www.linksys.com/en-eu/products/routers/ea6300 It looks pretty decent, so any thoughts would be much appreciated.

For the AC question.
You will see people on two sides of the fence on this.
AC is becoming more prelivent.. most NEW higher end phones are comming with it.. SOME laptops with it, etc.. so it is comming around.
BUT.. will you take advantage of it?  While the speeds on it, are the highest.. the ONLY difference that will make, is with PC to PC connections internally.  With a perfect N signal, you could STILL be higher than rogers 250mbps package.

Personaly for ME, i am not jumping on it yet... i would rather wait it out till i have more AC devices (only one at the moment.. out of about 20 wireless devices :P)... there may even be a new standard out by then.

As then for WHICH router.

Again, personal opinion..  For range, etc.. having seen/tested the difference in personal AND corporate level... I really dont like internal antenna ones anymore.. external are SOO much better, even if the rest of the router innards are the same.
This may not be as big of a deal for the location you are in though (depending on size, etc)

Other than that.. you are looking at the INNARDS of the unit.. the processor, etc on it.

My boss had that unit.. and was decent.  He then went to a Negear Nighthawk router.  Night and Day difference.  Just base things like moving files across it, wired and wireless.. were FASTER.. the brains of the unit are able to handle switching, etc at a much faster rate.

As for Brands/Models

Asus - rave reviews on most of their routers.  I switched to a RT-N66U (the highest N model), and i love it.  Insanely fast, and thats only using it as an access point.  Even more functions as a router.
RT-N66U - Wireless N - $150ish
RT-AC66U - wireless AC1750 - $190ish
RT-AC68U - wireless AC1900 - $220ish

Netgear-seems to be the most afordable of all of them for most features.  my boss loves his.

R7000 Nighthawk - wireless ac1900 - $200ish

Linksys - They have returned to their WRT series... this one has been anticipated.. and apparently has a GREAT featureset... but the price is a little painful
Linksys WRT1900AC - wireless AC1900 - $280ish

Gdkitty:

Thank you for such a comprehensive reply. Since I posted about the Linksys 6300, I read some reviews and they weren't too impressive. I also saw the Linksys WRT you mentioned and it's $279 on Newegg. I saw lots of good reviews on ASUS ones as well. Now, I just have to make up my mind and will look at all the models you mentioned.

Thanks again. Smiley Happy

My two cents: I wouldn’t buy that particular Linksys router as it has internal antenna. While there are no doubt some exceptions with enterprise equipment, you will normally see better wifi performance with external antenna. So, whatever you do buy, select one that has external antenna and gigabit WAN and LAN ports. There are new routers out these days that only have 10/100 Mb/s ports on them but run the latest version of 802.11ac for example. So the wireless can do in theory, 1900 Mb/s which includes simultaneous 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks, but the WAN and LAN port only does 100 Mb/s max. Doesn’t seem to make much sense unless you do most of your work internally on your own wireless network and external data rates just don’t matter. Future proofing with 802.11ac, yup, I would do it, but that is because I prefer to keep my computer equipment for some time. Devices that you will buy from now on have a very good chance of having 802.11ac onboard. It’s a chicken and egg situation, buy the device with 802.11ac first or buy the router first? I think is just depends where you’re at, in terms of the device that you are shopping for.

The majority of 802.11ac routers on the market are know as MIMO, Multi Input Multi Output which in short means multiple data streams running between the device and the router, which is how you can obtain wireless data rates over 1 Gb/s. These are single user MIMO devices as the router only supports one device at a time. New routers just coming onto the market are Multi User MIMO, meaning that the router will support multiple data streams to multiple devices simultaneously. These are referred to as Wave 2 802.11ac routers and include the Asus RT-AC87 (first one out) and Nighthawk X4. That’s as far as you can go at the moment in terms of future proofing.

Fwiw, 802.11ad was approved last year, has been demonstrated in a Dell Ultrabook and is available in the Dell Wireless Dock D5000.  802.11ad operates in the 60 Ghz band, has a data rate of 7 Gb/s but has a very short range due to its operating frequency.  802.11ad is combined with existing standards to produce Triband devices, where Triband refers to the ability to operate in any band, 2.5, 5 or 60 Ghz.  Triband devices like that should be starting to make their appearance next year I would think.  

Have a look at post #37 in the following thread:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/page/4/thread-...

The comments that I include on the Broadcom chipset are applicable to new Asus and Netgear routers.

Datalink:

Thank you for your reply. At the moment, my head is spinning just a bit from information overload. Smiley Wink

I found another Linksys router which looks interesting and its reviews are pretty good. I agree that internal antennae are best avoided. This model has 3 external ones and its reviews are mostly positive http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/linksys-linksys-ac1900-smart-wi-fi-dual-band-router-ea6900-ca...

Both it and the CGN3 are available at Future Shop, plus the CGN3 is much cheaper than buying it at Rogers. Unless someone thinks I'm crazy to buy the Linksys, I'm heading downtown to Future Shop this afternoon. Both items are in stock.

Run a google search for the following and have a look at the reviews:

AC1900 Smart Wi-Fi Dual Band Router EA6900 review

Looking at the prices at Futureshop, I think for the same cost I'd choose the Asus RT-AC66R.

Run a search for reviews of the AC66R as well.

ASUS Dual-Band Wireless AC1750 Gigabit Router RT-AC66R review

The CNET review indicates that both run hot, so in either case placement with adequate ventilation is required.

Yeah, thats one thing i forgot to mention... all the newer higher end ones.. WILL run hot.

I know with the asus ones, they give you a bracket so it can be proped up on like a 45 degree angle for proper ventelation.

Thanks guys. The ASUS definitely looks good, but is hard to find in stores. I called Future Shop to verify that they had the CGN3 in stock as claimed on its web site, but they don't and won't have any for at least another week. In the interim, I'm also considering the Linksys WRT1900AC which has very good reviews. Proper ventilation won't be a problem for me as I have my equipment sitting on a Bello stand which has glass shelves and is completely open.

If you are planning on sticking the the stock firmware for the Linksys WRT1900AC you should be ok.  If you are planning to load DD-WRT you need to review the latest state of affairs for that firmware.  Despite being marketed as "Open Source Ready", the last that I had seen is that the Marvell wifi drivers required for the DD-WRT build have not been released, and no one seems to know if or when they will ever be released.  So, something else to consider.

@Gdkitty wrote:

RT-AC68U - wireless AC1900 - $220ish

I just want to chime in with an enthusiastic recommendation for the AC68U.

I've had one running in access point mode here since early December of last year, it is excellent. One was deployed at my parents' condo at Christmas in full router mode (behind a bridged CGN2) and it has also performed spectacularly.

Certainly, the best piece of consumer-grade networking equipment I've ever used. It's expensive, but the signal strength and range are outstanding, as is the software quality.

Datalink:

Thanks for the comment. I don't have a clue what DD-WRT is, so I looked it up. Unless the Linksys firmware has shortcomings that matter to me, it's a non-issue. My requirements are real simple. I only have 2 wireless devices, an iPhone and an HP printer. In addition, I have 4 wired devices, my computer, a smart TV, and Denon AVR, and a PS3. All of that is working fine now on my SMCD3GN. I just need something to overcome the shortcomings of the CGN3 so I can get the 150/15 package from Rogers.

I read the reviews of the Linksys and ASUS on CNet and both were highly recommended. As is typical, the comments from the actual users of these devices were all over the map. People complained about losing connections and other things not working for both of them. It's really hard to separate the chaff from the wheat, so I guess selecting one is a bit of a hit-and-miss proposition.Smiley Tongue

VivienM:

Thanks for the recommendation. I've been looking around for that model, but not having much success. Everyone seems to be out of stock, which is probably a good sign in terms of its popularity. My only concern is that model is well over 2 years old, although it might not matter. I just have to make my mind up between it and the Linksys. I'm waiting for Future Shop to restock its supply of CGN3's and they already have the Linksys in stock. The only reason I'm waiting for them instead of going to Rogers is a $50 plus tax price different in favour of Future Shop.