cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme Plus Plan

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

I have the old Extreme Plus Internet package, which has a download speed of 45mbps and an upload speed of 4mbps. I check my speeds with speedtest.net and the Rogers cable app every once in a while. I've noticed over the past few days that my upload speed is now 2mbps, but download is still normal. Does anyone know if Rogers can change the upload speed by doing something to my modem/router? I have the SMCD3GN.

***edited labels***

147 REPLIES 147

Re: Extreme Plus Plan

TeDD13
I'm a Trusted Contributor
Rogers can sometimes switch D2 profile to D3 profile for people who are still on D2 plans, however this is not applicable to your situation.

As you still have SMCD3GN this might as well be your bottleneck as this gateway has just one upstream channel. Rogers constantly adjusts the configuration on their network to manage congestion. The way they selected to do it is to spread bandwidth over larger amount of channels for download and ti widen upstream channels.

SMCD3GN does not support I believe wider channels for upstream and as either congestion on your node had increased or Rogers reconfigured your node your modem is choking up.

Have you considered upgrading to CGN3? It is currently on sale at Future Shop for $149.

P.S. I have assumed that you checked all your signal levels and they remain within limits.

TeDD13:

Thanks for your thoughts. I guess it's possible the congestion idea has some merit, although I've never seen it in the 4 years I've been on this plan. I would have thought congestion would show up with download speeds, but they are consistently slightly higher than the 45mbps the plan offers. The signal strength I see logging into the SMC is perfect. I recently had Rogers out here to fix a problem with my cable signal, though, so everything was checked by the tech while he was here. I have not considered "upgrading" to one of the new Hybrid Fibre packages. I know the newer CGN modems have more channels, etc., and help to reduce and/or eliminate congestion problems.

I'll give Rogers a call to see what they have to say and will update this thread.

@jimboden wrote:

TeDD13:

Thanks for your thoughts. I guess it's possible the congestion idea has some merit, although I've never seen it in the 4 years I've been on this plan. I would have thought congestion would show up with download speeds, but they are consistently slightly higher than the 45mbps the plan offers. The signal strength I see logging into the SMC is perfect. I recently had Rogers out here to fix a problem with my cable signal, though, so everything was checked by the tech while he was here. I have not considered "upgrading" to one of the new Hybrid Fibre packages. I know the newer CGN modems have more channels, etc., and help to reduce and/or eliminate congestion problems.

I'll give Rogers a call to see what they have to say and will update this thread.

Congestion could go both ways - certainly, upstream capacity is far more scarce on DOCSIS systems than downstream...

But why are you still on old Extreme Plus? I don't remember the details, but wasn't Extreme Plus in the low-mid $70s/month + modem rental range? For that kind of money, you can get tantalizingly close to new Hybrid Fibre 150 with 350GB (550 if you have 3 Rogers services) which is around $86/month including CGN3 rental...

The old extreme 35 package, was $69.99 + modem rental ontop (or buy obviously)

The new 60/10 is $69.99 INCLUDING the CGN3 rental.
Would be $4 less if you rent the Cisco or CGN2 instead.
(or $12 less if you buy a modem)

Thanks for all the feedback. I haven't considered going with one of the new packages because I'm reluctant to throw away a modem/router that I paid $250 for and the speeds I'm getting now are perfectly fine for me, except for the recent problem with the upload speed. It is consistently showing 2mbps every time I test it, so it has nothing to do with congestion IMO. As far as the financial difference between the new packages and my current one, I'm rethinking my Rogers services, especially my wireless plan with an iPhone 4S that just completed a 3 year contract.. I may move it to another provider because Rogers is way too expensive, so I would not have 3 services to qualify for the Internet package.

Off topic, but is everyone here still getting email notifications when threads are updated? I did not receive notifications about the previous 2 posts which were made yesterday.

(I think if you 'subscribe' to the thread under options.. will do that)

Price wouldnt vary going to the new package.. just get the benifit of the faster down/up speeds.
But if you dont have the 3.. you wouldnt get the extra 200g usage..
Weither or not that is necessary, is the question too (if your under 120g a month, then its not needed anyways)

Other providers for internet.. you will often get the same prices (within usually $5) for the same speeds... difference is you get more usage standard.

Really, it comes down to USAGE.  If you DONT need it..  going to a 3rd party provider, your not saving alot... and your adding POTENTIAL other things, if issues arrive. (EG:  Say signal issue while on a 3rd party provider.  you need to put in a ticket with your provider.. then that provider contacts rogers and puts in a ticket for someone to come out, etc. There can be extra steps, and potentially take a little longer)

Gdkitty:

OK, but I've never actually subscribed to a thread before. I always get emails about replies whether I start a thread or reply in another one.

I forgot to do the obvious and rebooted my modem/router and the upload speed is back to normal. Weird. I've never had that happen before.

As for Rogers services, the only one I'm seriously thinking about going with a different provider is my iPhone. I have a grandfathered plan which costs well over $80 a month with tax and I want to get someting that's about half that.

I have never got emails about stuff.. unless i subsribed. 
Under the settings though, the preferences, then preference options, there is an 'auto subsribe', maybe that needs to be re checked.

Maybe your modem had to do some channel re configuring, and got stuck say only on using one upstream channel, etc.

(as for the phone.. do your shopping around.  Really comes down to WHAT features you need or not, as to what the price may be.  Then compare COVERAGE.  Ther are alot of the smaller guys, who have great plan pricing where you are looking at.. BUT their coverare area can be VERY small.)

Gdkitty:

My preferences are set to auto subscribe and always have been which is why I thought it was strange I didn't get emails yesterday. I did get your reply today, though.

As for the iPhone, I understand what you're saying. I hardly ever use my phone plus I don't need a data plan, so I'm trying to cut back on that expense. Think I'll call Rogers and go over their options. I have looked at their online plans, but the permutations and combinations are really confusing (PayGo etc.). Despite what plan I pick I need the equivalent of Rogers One Number because I get almost zero cell signal where I live. RON at least allows Wi-Fi calls. Of course, there are other options like Skype and some others.

jimboden wrote:As for the iPhone, I understand what you're saying. I hardly ever use my phone plus I don't need a data plan, so I'm trying to cut back on that expense. Think I'll call Rogers and go over their options. I have looked at their online plans, but the permutations and combinations are really confusing (PayGo etc.). Despite what plan I pick I need the equivalent of Rogers One Number because I get almost zero cell signal where I live. RON at least allows Wi-Fi calls. Of course, there are other options like Skype and some others.

Ummm... am I missing something?

If you live somewhere where Rogers doesn't have coverage, then... switch to another carrier (there's probably only one other choice anyways). WiFi calling, RON, etc are just workarounds for lousy coverage...

@jimboden wrote:

Thanks for all the feedback. I haven't considered going with one of the new packages because I'm reluctant to throw away a modem/router that I paid $250 for and the speeds I'm getting now are perfectly fine for me, except for the recent problem with the upload speed.

How long ago did you buy that SMC? $250/7 = 36 months (wow, that's a long time... dangerous purchase compared to a CGN3 on sale that you can break even on in a year), so if you bought it more than 3 years ago, you're ahead by having bought it. 🙂

What you need to do is coldly inventory out what you have now: price, speed, and caps. Then compare how the new plans deliver (keeping in mind that modem rental is included in the posted price)

D3 Extreme Plus is 45 megabits/sec down, 150GB. $79.50/month, no, not including modem rental?

Hybrid Fiber 60, with a CGN3 rental, is 60 megabits/sec down, 120GB, $70/month incl. CGN3 rental.

Hybrid Fiber 150, with a CGN3 rental, is 150 megabits/sec down, 350GB, $86/month incl. CGN3 rental.

Your SMC is a sunk cost; don't let yourself pay more than you have to because of it.

VivienM:

Thanks for the recommendations. Rogers has good coverage in my area (I'm on the Danforth near downtown). I live in a basement suite and the signal quality is very poor, so I use Rogers One Number on my computer. I actually bought my SMC 4 years ago when I moved, so it has paid for itself many times over.

As for the internet packages, I just came off a 12 month deal with Rogers for my 3 services, which prevented me from switching. I have done a spreadsheet of all my Rogers services to see what things look like. I've determined that the 150/15 Internet package makes the most sense if I buy the modem. The plan also has 350GB data, which is over double my Extreme Plus package. The plan with modem is $85.99 per month plus taxes. I'm assuming that it will drop to $73.99 because I won't need a rental modem. If my assumption is incorrect, please let me know.

The cost of all my services is going up because I came to the end of a 12 month discount deal. I will have to call in and go through the dance all over again, but I want to sort out the Internet thing first.

Smiley Sad

I would double check if you qualify for the free 200g extra (call and they can see).. that may allow you to go with a CHEAPER plan, but get close to the same usage.
(EG: 60/10 package gives you 320 with the extra 200)

Correct, any of the 60/10 or higher packages, if you BUY the modem, it would be $12 less that that monthly.

Yeah.. phone wise.. in your location... you may be hard presses for ANY cellular signal from any company 😞

Not sure of any of them which provide RON type service.
There is always skype and other voip options for on a cell, etc.. but then you are potentially having TWO numbers then 😞

Gdkitty:

Thanks for the suggestion about the extra 200GB and answering the modem question. It would be $15 a month less, but I'm leaning towards the 150/15 because of the higher speeds. I occasionally host online games and speed, especially on the upload side, is critical for decent performance.

On the phone side, I have looked at Skype and a couple of other options like Fongo and Fido. While my Rogers plan is more than I need, RON is a free part of the package and has a lot of benefit for me.

I have costed out all 3 of my services (cable, internet, wireless) in my spreadsheet based on Rogers pricing per service. I'm going to call them looking for a discount off the total in turn for another 12 or maybe even 24 month commitment if they will go that long for a better deal.

There's a Rogers store near me, so I'll head over there to discuss the Internet package and see if they have a CGN3 in stock.

UPDATE: The store closest to me is out of stock, but they reserved one for me at a different store. I'll go pick it up tomorrow.

Aside from changing my plan to 150/15, is there anything special I should know about setting up the CGN3 or is it plug and play?

@jimboden wrote:

VivienM:

Thanks for the recommendations. Rogers has good coverage in my area (I'm on the Danforth near downtown). I live in a basement suite and the signal quality is very poor, so I use Rogers One Number on my computer.

Do you have friends with similar phones on other carriers? Indoor/basement reception is very hit or miss, I'd certainly do a bit more research before presuming all carriers are as bad...

Also, FYI, I don't what your offer was, but all the retention/bundle deals I've seen are 'X% off Internet', '$10 off Internet', etc, but you can switch Internet packages and keep the discount on the new package...

(If you have an actual special plan, e.g. the $45/300GB plan, that's a different story)

@jimboden wrote:

Gdkitty:

Thanks for the suggestion about the extra 200GB and answering the modem question. It would be $15 a month less, but I'm leaning towards the 150/15 because of the higher speeds. I occasionally host online games and speed, especially on the upload side, is critical for decent performance.

On the phone side, I have looked at Skype and a couple of other options like Fongo and Fido. While my Rogers plan is more than I need, RON is a free part of the package and has a lot of benefit for me.

I have costed out all 3 of my services (cable, internet, wireless) in my spreadsheet based on Rogers pricing per service. I'm going to call them looking for a discount off the total in turn for another 12 or maybe even 24 month commitment if they will go that long for a better deal.

There's a Rogers store near me, so I'll head over there to discuss the Internet package and see if they have a CGN3 in stock.

UPDATE: The store closest to me is out of stock, but they reserved one for me at a different store. I'll go pick it up tomorrow.

Aside from changing my plan to 150/15, is there anything special I should know about setting up the CGN3 or is it plug and play?

In terms of 12-24 months retention contracts, I thought Rogers stopped doing that a while back, but I don't know...

As for setting up the CGN3, plug it in, plug in a computer, and then either set it up for your desired wifi settings or log into it and put it in in bridge mode.

VivienM:

The issue with my celll signal isn't Rogers' problem. If I go outside, I get 5 bars. As far as I know, anyone living in a basement has signal issues. I think the main reason in my case is that the next door house is only a few feet away and a few storeys high, so it must be blocking some of the signal. I've also lived in condos right in downtown Toronto where I couldn't even get a decent signal standing right by a window 20 storeys up. The signal strength isn't an issue for me because I use RON on my computer, plus the RON mobile app works on Wi-Fi.

The last discount package I had, which just expired, was done as N% of each service where N was the same for each. I don't have any special plans.

Thanks for the info on the CGN3. I'm very familiar with the technical details of my SMCD3GN, so I don't expect any prolems setting it up. I hope it has a user manual, though. If not, Google is my friend. Smiley Happy

Have a look at the following summary on the CGN3 before deciding to make the leap:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/190...

🙂

Datalink:

Thank you, that was a real eye opener. I think I understand the download throttling issue, but want to make sure. I have a newer computer that's capable of 1GB/s and it's connected to my SMC via ethernet. When I run speed tests on it, the SMC delivers well over 100mbps for a few seconds before it settles back down. If I simply connect it to the CGN3 as is, should there be an issue with download throttling? I have 3 other wired devices connected to my SMC. They are a PS3, a Denon AVR, and a Samsung Smart TV. Download rates for those devices are not significant for me. On the wireless side, I have an iPhone and HP printer which both work well on my SMC.

Any device that has a gigabit port on it should run without issue and deliver the expected data rate and beyond with Speedboost added in.  Any device that has a 10/100 Mb/s port will see a maximum of about 35 Mb/s download rate.  Although the port will be running at 100 Mb/s full duplex, the CGN3 will only deliver that 35 Mb/s data rate through its connected port.  That has caused a significant amount of confusion and a great deal of time lost as users test everything they have, only to discover that the problem is internal to the CGN3.  The solution, until a firmware fix comes along is to install a gigabit port equiped firewall, router or switch between the CGN3 and any 10/100 Mb/s devices.  In the case where you are running in Gateway mode, the switch will act as a buffer between the CGN3 and the device, allowing both to run at their max interconnect rates and download rates.  So, the CGN3 port will run at 1 Gb/s as will the connected switch port, and the device will connect to the switch at 100 Mb/s.  If you were running 150 Mb/s for your plan, you would then see a max download rate of 100 Mb/s for those 10/100 Mb/s devices connected thru the switch, instead of the 35 Mb/s you would see with a direct connection.  Anything with a gigabit port should see a max download rate around 200 mb/s or above with Speedboost.  The same situation applies if you were running in Bridge mode with a gigabit port equiped firewall or router installed.  The firmware bug is present in both Gateway and Bridge mode.

The other problem you will have is with your printer if it is a wireless printer, as the CGN3 does not appear to support wireless multicast, which is necessary for wireless printers.  If the printer is wired, you can access it through the wireless networks.

Corrected Version:  ....the CGN3 does not appear to support wireless multicast.....