Extreme Plus - 1 MBPS day, .6 MBPS after five 4 weeks. Rogers CAT says Known Rogers Issue Now

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Extreme Plus - 1 MBPS day, .6 MBPS after five 4 weeks. Rogers CAT says Known Rogers Issue Now

Anyone else in Waterloo, Kitchener and or surrounding areas still getting very slow Download speeds?  Since at least Semptember 18th been getting 1 MBPS during the day, .6 MBPS or 600 KBPS after 5 pm.  All day and all night, every day and every night.  

On 7th or 8th service ticket with Tech support.  For 1st 10 days every level at Rogers asserted it was both my computers, wiring, and no way it could be the Rogers network. 

Three Days ago *an employee* in the hi speed CAT department said it is after all a Rogers network issue, affecting multiple people in the area.  "no ETA for a solution".  

If you are having slow spees I urge you to report them here. 

Please Call Rogers tech support.  Explain it's a known Rogers Network issue, that the CAT team and Engineers are aware of it and working on it.  *an employee* of the CAT department is very familiar with this issue. 

Please file complaints with your local BBB.  I have forwarded my story to, and spoken with David Carswell Kitchener CTV news director.  Email your story to him at news@swo.ctv.ca, ATTN David Carswell.  

After sharing my story with Elen Roseman of the Toronto Star, she filed a complaint on my behalf with the Rogers office of the president.  They called me with in 12 hours.  I urge all with this issue to do the same:

eroseman@thestar.ca

I know no organizations in Canada want to touch poor internet spees with a 10 foot pole.  However, the numbers of reports of identical stories to all these agencies lets them know this is a real problem affecting many subscribers.   

I know during prime time speed we can't expect advertised levels, but getting 1 to 2 % of advertised download speeds, all the time for weeks on end?  That is failure to deliver the service you pay for.  

Please let your voice be heard.  

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Extreme Plus - 1 MBPS or less 5pm to 3 am every night 5 + Rogers network issue

Must have been a stall tactic or the all to common Rogers right hand has no idea what the left hand is doing.  

Just did a speed test at 1 mbps down, 1 up at speedtest.net, and on Rogers speed tool as well. 

No competion, no help from regulators, no help from consumer advocates.  So Rogers just gets to gauge us with high prices, unrealistic usage caps, and gives us 2% of the speeds they advertise, every night weeks and weeks, and we just take it?  I know not everyone can achieve advertised speeds, but this is ubsurd, advertised 32, and can't break 1down all night everynight?

I think we need to organize a protest at Rogers offices, KW, Toronto, where ever.  It's down right theft now.  Any ideas?

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Extreme Plus - 1 MBPS day, .6 MBPS after five 4 weeks. Rogers CAT says Known Rogers Issue Now

I had something similar to this issue in my home town, it turned out to be a line split at the pole outside my house getting water into the line, this cause alot of problems with the connection. I called rogers and requested they change the entire line into my house and they did some testing and then agreed with me about the issue. After changing the line, box and all the cables within my house, the issue is completely gone.

It could just be old cables causing this either on the pole or in the house, and make sure your not using some cheap splitters. They totally killed my signal.

I also would like to thank the rogers tech who fixed it.

Thanks a bunch man!

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Extreme Plus - 1 MBPS day, .6 MBPS after five 4 weeks. Rogers CAT says Known Rogers Issue Now

I've had a similar issue and very similar speeds since about the start of September.  All my Youtube watching these days is at beautiful hi-def 240p! 😛  I'm in north Waterloo, Extreme Plus.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm in North Waterloo as well, not far from Weber and Northfield.  

On http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26301206-Extreme-Rogers-Extreme-10Mbps-has-been-VERY-slow-the-last-...  

Someone in Laurelwood reported the same odd trend as I did today.  40 + DL in the morning, then 30s - 20s early afternoon, then dramactically down to 2 or 3 mbps after 5 PM, from 10 to 11 pm so far I'm averaging 1 - 2 mbps.   Hasn't hit the low of 600 to 800kbps yet, as every night for over last 2 weeks.  That's still less than 6% of the advertised for extreme plus, maybe a fluke, maybe there's been some improvements.  Who knows.  

Spoke with *an employee* at the Rogers Office of the President again today.  She said engineers still working on known rogers speed issue in area, no ETA yet.   She said it's not that bad, only affecting 6 out of every 1000 subscribers.  I told her it makes no difference if your one of those 6 in 1000.  She ultimately agreed with that.  

I hope you are calling.  Try to get through to, or a message for *an employee*  in the hi speed CAT department, she's very familiar.  The more people that keep calling, the only way they know who is affected, the faster it will be fixed.  

**edited to remove employee name - RogersGina

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

No return call from *an employee* in of the CAT team. *an employee* "not a big problem it's only affecting 6 in every 1000 customers" , says still no ETA.  Have also received email from *an employee* email support restarting the whole process as if I had not been dealing with several people at Rogers on this for 3 weeks +.  

Then received another email from *an employee* in "email support" saying *an employee* will call me with the latest no detail and no ETA for this problem.  

Speeds improved considerably Fri, Sat  evenings.  Most likely because the students and other subscribers were gone for the Thanksgiving holiday.  Now it's Monday night, is it safe to say most holiday travellers have returned home and are back online?  

My speed sure says so.  Getting 2 to 3 mbps download as of 8 pm Monday.  If it goes down to 1 mbps or less later this evening, I think it's pretty fair to say this is all just network congestion due to Rogers over selling bandwidth in certain areas. 

Tek Savvy told me they aren't allowed to add Cable internet subscribers in certain areas of Kitchener, Waterloo, and else where due to congestion issues. 

If you havent called or haven't called in a while, and are having this issue I beg you to let your voice be heard so they will correct this faster.  

Tell tech support rep you need to speak with *an employee* in the CAT team who is familiar with this Rogers network issue. 

Complain to the Rogers Office of the President, either via the complain option in the Contact Us section of this Rogers website, or email a request to Elen Roseman.  (she got office of president to contact me the day I emailed her)

Elen Roseman eroseman@thestar

I know it seems like these people can't help us, and for the most part they can't directly.  However, if all of us experiencing these download speeds, most less than 5% of advertised at night, keep complaining, they can't keep putting off fixing this congestion.   

*edited to remove employee name - RogersGina

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers Extreme Plus Waterloo, ON - Speeds very slow as the morning wore on, and congestion worsened.  Speedtest.net wouldn't even fully load.  Trace routes showing lots of latency and time outs on and after 6th hop.  Definitely well on the "Rogers side".  

Tried calling, but after 5 minutes of menus, then 10 minutes of holding, I got tired.  Talked to them for literally hours about this anyway.  

Why doesn't Rogers invest all that  low GB usage fee money in elevating congestion in these high population areas with congested nodes?   They are more than willing to send a service call person out just to verify a problem they know must be on the Rogers side, sometimes over and over.  Why not do the upgrades before you start adding new subscribers with what for this entire month have been false claims, not even delivering on 2% of speeds at night for many customers.   

Where are the upgrades?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers Extreme Plus - 1 MBPS day, .6 MBPS after five 4 weeks. Rogers CAT SAYS ITS ROGERS ISSUE

Rogers Extreme Plus Waterloo, ON  (north Waterloo)  

10/16/11 - *an employee*, Rogers Office of the President, just informed me that there was, "ETA for final solution to problem in your area, by the end of this week."  I pushed for details, always hard to get about Rogers issues, she added, "the problem is the NODE in your area, that is what they will work on this week."

That is what the Techs I've talked to working in the area have all said.  It's congestion where the Coax meets the Fiber optics.  It looks that way on all trace routes with latency usually occuring 6th hop out.  Could be slightly different depending on your internet set up.  

10/03/11 - After weeks of protesting that the issue was a Rogers problem and not my equipment, *an employee* of Rogers high speed C.A.T. Department informs me my slow speeds are caused by, "a known Rogers network issue, no ETA for solution. 

09/18/11 - Is when I began calling and proving over and over to service techs that this was not my computer or wiring. 

FOUR WEEKS OF 1 MBPS OR SLOWER EVERY NIGHT FROM APPROX. 5 PM TO 3 AM.  CAUSED BY A ROGERS CONGESTION ISSUE, KNOWN BY AND ADMITTED TO BY ROGERS.   THAT IS 2 % OR LESS OF ADVERTISED SPEEDS FOR 1 MONTH.  ALL ROGERS HAD TO DO WAS IDENTIFY THIS NODE PROBLEM AND UPGRADE ASAP.  

THE SAD RESULT OF NO FAIR COMPETITION IN SOUTHER ONTARIO.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Rogers Extreme Plus - 1 MBPS day, .6 MBPS after five 4 weeks. Rogers CAT SAYS ITS ROGERS ISSUE

its not only in south ontario, i have also been experiencing supper slow speeds and packet loss from Ottawa on Extreme high speed for the past week and has not stopped yet.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Extreme Plus - 1 MBPS day, .6 MBPS after five 4 weeks. Rogers CAT SAYS ITS ROGERS ISSUE

"...THE SAD RESULT OF NO FAIR COMPETITION IN SOUTHER ONTARIO...."

I'm sorry, but I just have to laugh at this.  Southern Ontario...at least there are multiple companies there.  In most places in Canada, outside this kind of metro area, there is NO competition, at all.  You get Rogers and/or Bell.  At least here in NB, we have Aliant (technically Bell), which I happily switched to from Rogers a couple months ago.  Like magic, all my bandwidth problems went away.  Rogers has got to be the worst telecommunications company in North America.

I've Been Here Awhile