cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreemly slow response on DCX3400-M

BFlow
I Plan to Stick Around

Within the past week or so our DCX3400-M sudenly became extreemly slow to respond to the remote, as in several seconds pass before a button press is acted on.  Press fast-forward...and several seconds later it starts to fast-forward.  Press play...and several seconds pass before it stop fast-forwarding and goes back to play (at which point you've missed several minutes of the show and have to go back....but end up going to far back because of delayed response...and so on).

Incredibly frustrating when trying to watch recorded show.   Even menu up/down/left/right and even channel selection are met with the same delay.

Tried using second remote control, no change.  Reset/cycled power on the box which seemed to correct it....for a day but it goes right back to the anomalous behavior.

Edit - typo

Is anyone else in Atlantic Canada having a similar experience?

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Extreemly slow response on DCX3400-M

BFlow
I Plan to Stick Around

By way of a follow up and to close this topic, the problem ultimatly was a faulty DCX3400.  Rogers technician came out to the house to verifiy and simply replaced it (after first trying to somehow blame our TV of course).

He noted that it is a "very rare" problem, but one which they do in fact come accross.

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not in atlantic.. so cant comment on the box.

Did anything else change? Change of TV, etc?

And is this any time of day, or just specific... and is the TV in a very dark room?

BFlow
I Plan to Stick Around

No changes in equipment or environment.  Time of day does not manifest any change.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

I presume you tried a re-boot.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

BFlow
I Plan to Stick Around

Per my OP, "Reset/cycled power on the box..."

The answer is actually very simple.
Though it is mainly due to technical reason...

when you said "... Reset/cycled power on the box which seemed to correct it....for a day..." it was the clue to the mystery...

your box has its "RAM" dying out,... it's a memory lag and a very common issue with any boxes,... usually happens if the box is getting old, since all technology are not made 100% metal anymore, and mostly plastic peices surround metal chipsets, corrosion and degredation occurs...

How old is your box @BFlow ?
Changing the box should help (but this is just based on what you have advised thus far) - if its a purchased box, and still underwarranty, you should be able to swap it under warranty.

Keep in mind, your recordings are not transferrable to another box. (unless you are techy and savy with this, you could run a VCR loop - yes I said "VCR" old trick but works...)

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

I'm in Ontario, where Rogers uses Cisco boxes, so can't really help. My guess would be that Rogers has sent out a firmware update to cause this, or the box is going bad. I suggest you contact Rogers to get it checked out.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@ShakTib wrote:

your box has its "RAM" dying out,... it's a memory lag and a very common issue with any boxes,... usually happens if the box is getting old, since all technology are not made 100% metal anymore, and mostly plastic peices surround metal chipsets, corrosion and degredation occurs...

@ShakTiburon, I have an SA8300HD and it takes about 7 seconds to change channels, whereas my DTA50 changes channels in under a second. Is this to be expected? Can RAM in these boxes be replaced if it goes bad like in a computer?

God no. That's why i quoted the word RAM as "RAM" ... because its not the actual word i was looking to use... (oops) I was talking about what is built in to the board memory.
oh, on second thought - It actually essentially IS on board memory... I just didn't know what to call it (I kind of think and type at the same time)...

The RAM i am talking about is on board chip attached to the main board.

In terms of computers its essentially one of those black square chips that sit on mother board. That's all the on-board memory it gets.. usually pretty small... very small.

I WISH we can swap them line PC. I would love my NextBox to have 16GB of memory.

OLDYELLR:

That's very interesting. My 8300 changes channels in about a second and alway has. The only time it's a bit slower is if the resolution changes, say from 1080i to 720p.

ShakTib:

Any computers that I've ever seen have large memory chips. They snap into slots on the mother board and are a few inches wide. Laptops are a bit different and have much smaller memory chips that usually snap into a covered slot underneath.

The SA8300HD PVR does have the square type chips you mentioned.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@jimboden wrote:

OLDYELLR:

That's very interesting. My 8300 changes channels in about a second and alway has. The only time it's a bit slower is if the resolution changes, say from 1080i to 720p.

Perhaps mine does not get along well with my Samsung Smart TV. Since I seldom watch live TV on it, it doesn't really bother me.

BFlow
I Plan to Stick Around

@ShakTib wrote:

You are talking nonsense.  Digital media devices do not fail in this fashion...at all.

Moreover we checked our HD box (much newer than the PVR) and it is exhibiting the same delayed response to remote commands which points to the issue being a systemic one, probably from a recent box update pushed out from Rogers' end.

OLDYELLR:

I never watch live TV either and also have a Samsung Smart TV. What are your video output settings?

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Picture Format is Auto DVI/HDMI.

My setting is the same. I find it very strange that it takes your box 7 seconds to switch channels.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

I had just tried it, using the Last button, when I posted. I just tried it now and it takes about 2 seconds using the Channel Up/Down button, 4 seconds when punching in a channel number or using the Last button. Seems to take longer when switching formats, maybe 5 seconds.

I am thinking how to actually... explain this...
Media devices and any technology are computers programmed for certain functions... how would this be nonesne? 😄

To better explain, anyone ever used the Windows Media Center with TV Tuner built into them? Ever took out the TV tunner from the PC desktop? or ever installed one? that PCI-e Chipset is practically the same thing Digital Boxes are. Except of few changes. Only reason latency comes into effect is because of digital conversion.

-__- I really am bad at explaining this... ever feel that you can't explain something that you know to others? yeah, Im stuck at that point...

I sound loopy don't i?

@jimboden I was referring to the computer memory to provide a relation of what kind of memory i was talking about (not that it actually looks like it)... but you're right, those are the memory i am referring to, if it was a computer/laptop. DDRMs.

BFlow
I Plan to Stick Around

By way of a follow up, hald way through the evening yesterday it, litterally, sudenly started responding normally. Still ok this evening...however there is no longer the "jump back" we are used to when resuming play from fast forward.

At this point I can only conclude that Rogers is mucking arround with software updates on me....

chucky1
I've Been Here Awhile

Bbeen having this issue since switching to rogers in February, keep telling me there is an update in the works, gave me a ccredit at one time. I am back to regular pricing, but issue still not resoved. I have had enough, Bell may be more money but there system works, I am going to switch back at the end of this bill.

Hello @chucky1,

I apologize for the negative experience you are having with the service. We can further help troubleshoot if you can provide the community with more details of the issue you are having.

1. Description of the exact issue. 

2. Are you in Ontario and where?

3. What type of digital box do you have?

4. Do you have more than one box? If yes, is this issue happening on all boxes? 

Any details would help. We would love to try and help resolve Smiley Happy

Thanks! 

RogersHassam 

Topic Stats
  • 29 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 9 in conversation