External hard drive cloning

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

External hard drive cloning

I have and external drive on my 8300hd  that is almost full and was wondering if I can clone this drive to a much larger one without losing recorded programming.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Rogers Employee Jeffrey
Rogers Employee

Re: External hard drive cloning

Hello UgLeigh,

Great question.

I've dug into this quite a bit and it turns out that this is not supported by Rogers. There are a lot of things to consider.

1. Copyright issues with duplicating media

2. Copying Boot & Information files from one drive to another different size, make, model drive may cause errors

3. Removing, modifying or exposing the drive may void any warranties

Etc..

I would have to advise against it and that it is not supported by Rogers. But to answer your question, some have successfully cloned or ghosted drives. You should consider purchasing an empty casing and simply swapping between the new and old drive as needed.

Good luck!!

-Jeffrey

***Update***

Hello everyone,

For more information on External Hard Drives / PVR Extenders, please click here.

Hope this helps!

I Plan to Stick Around

Hey Jeffrey thanks for the reply. I don't mind doing the drive swap thing but I have been afraid to plug in a new drive and then finding out that my old one is not recognized anymore. I use a thermaltake blacx docking station instead of a drive enclosure and swapping drives would be easy...by the way the docking station is great for keeping drives cool as they are exposed and it looks good too. So if you know that drive swapping works please reply

Thanks again!

Rogers Employee Jeffrey
Rogers Employee

Hello,

It is safe to power down the PVR - Unplug the power - Disconnect one PVR extender and connect another PVR extender. Reboot the PVR and it will recognize the new/other drive.

Speaking freely and not on Rogers behalf, I think a swap out/docking station would work.... but it may void any warranty and if you forget to power down the PVR & Docking station or if theres any static hanging around it could fry the motherboard on the PVR... or other components.

-Jeffrey

I'm a Senior Advisor

You can clone the drive to a larger one. I don't think warentee has anything to do with it. Check out http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/ and dig around a bit in the "upgrading pvr harddrive" pages and you should find out how..

But yeah swapping the HDD's sounds like a pain since you'd have to completely power off the pvr each time.. thats 5 min of your life you'll never get back..
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Jeffrey;

Currently I have a 500GB PVR Extender which is almost at capacity.  I don't want to erase anything on it yet but still would like to continue recording.  Can I unplug it, plug in a different PVR Extender and continue recording?

Will I be able to watch content on the 1st PVR Extender at a later time simply by plugging it back in?

If I can swap PVR Extenders in and out without loosing content, this would resolve the necessity for "Copy to VCR" functionality.

Thanks for the info,

Rick.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@rgoossens I'm not sure how this would work as the pvr keeps a table of contents on the internal drive and was probably not designed for drives to be swapped around.

The other issue I see is you have to powerdown the pvr (unplug it) before swapping external drives. I could see this being a headache.

It's fairly easy to upgrade the HDD in the pvr, if you have an 8300 you can get a 500GB drive for inside it and you can get a 1TB drive for external use. If you have the new cisco one you could put a 1TB drive in it and have a 1TB drive external.

You would still need to look up cloning the old drives so you can save your old recordings though.