External HDD for Explorer 8624

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

External HDD for Explorer 8624

I am interested in using a portable eSATA disk drive to use with my new PVR. Where can I get the specs for what types and capacity drives can be connected to the eSATA port, and where do I get the specs on how to control the tranfer of recordings to the External Drive?

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: External HDD for Explorer 8624

The external eSATA port supports enclosures that have esata connections. The external drive will need it's own power supply.

You cannot control what recordings go on the drive and which stay in pvr.. You also cannot move the drive to a different pvr to watch.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

The external eSATA port supports enclosures that have esata connections. The external drive will need it's own power supply.

You cannot control what recordings go on the drive and which stay in pvr.. You also cannot move the drive to a different pvr to watch.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the info Chris, although the answer is both surprising and disappointing.

With my previous Explorer PVR from Rogers, I used to have the option of copying any recorded program to a Video Tape Recorder which was and still is attached to my coaxial cable output port. This option does not appear for the 8624 PVR.  What's up with that?

If the e-SATA and Coax ports are not available for copying recordings with this new and not so improved PVR, then what is?

With this and the other limitations with the new PVR, and my struggles to get a decent Cable TV signal level from Rogers I am becoming more and more frustrated with Rogers services, and becoming more interested in converting all of my services to Bell. 

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

I have never tried to record something from my pvr to a vcr but yes the older models did support it. I have a feeling they removed it more because they didn't think people used it vs the want to control where the content ends up, but that was probably part of it.
The reason for the esata port is to expand your recording space up to 1TB more. 
I'm pretty sure you could always still press the play button on the pvr and the record button on the vcr to transfer the recording. Maybe hooking up the vcr with the RCS Red White Yellow cables and try that way too.
Or just bring the entire PVR to your viewing location to play back the videos. It should work for watching even when you don't have a cable connection.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I was also really disappointed to find out the Explorer 8624 doesn't have the option Copy to VCR.  I recently got my first PVR specifically to copy TV shows and bring to my cottage every weekend.  Now I have to tape my shows and no one can touch the TV (change channels) while I'm taping.  I called Rogers and asked the agent why this feature was removed and he had no idea what I was talking about.  Great Customer Service.  I'm so frustrated with Rogers and their lack of Customer Service I'm thinking of going Bell too.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Gypsy You could always bring the pvr to the cottage and watch the shows directly off of it. I realize this leaves any family members at home without TV for the weekend but it is an option.. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The Iomega DVR Expander 1TB is perfect for this.  However, the unit is tied to the PVR you connect it to so don't think you can unplug it and take it somewhere to watch shows.

Having this just gives you the option to keep more shows on your PVR for later viewing.