cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Drives that are compatible with the 8300HD?

agrea
I've Been Around

Hi,

Considering there are several HDD manufacturers and several companies using the 8300HD, it's hard to get a handle on what drive I should get.  I feel i've been going around in circles looking for a drive that would be compatible with my machine.

Is there a go-to ressource out thereI can refer to?

Basically, I am looking for a HDD that will store 2TB.  But I don't want to buy one only to run into issues with my 8300HD. 

Any suggestions or documented cases of HDDs that are tried, tested and true.

And before any mentions it, I know I can buy the Seagate through Rogers.

Regards.

***Edited labels***

13 REPLIES 13

Re: External Drives that are compatible with the 8300HD?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I was looking when i got mine.. i got the one from rogers.

Without making my own external drive (its own inclosure + drive), when comparing the prices on 3rd party ones, vs the rogers one, there was not a huge price difference, at least in the ones localy that i would be easily able to purchase.   (at least for the ESATA ones).

Only other thing i am not sure on, but may want to try and find info on, is IF the 8300 can read a 2tb or not.. since it is an older hardware/OS, it may not be able to read that size?  I am not 100% sure on this, it could be fine.

But even the rogers one, does hold ALOT i was suprised.  2 weeks of HD shows, would normaly almost fill my 8642.  With the extender on it, i have right now, about 6 HD movies, and about 1 week of HD shows, and am only at 17%

Speedy1701
I'm a Reliable Contributor

External HDD

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=23773

Internal HDD

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15719

I have a 8642PVR, and this has been working for me:

1) Vantec NexStar3 NST-360SU-BK (Black) USB2.0 3.5" Aluminum External SATA Hard Drive Enclosure
2) Western Digital Caviar Black (WD1002FAEX) 1000GB (1TB) SATA3 7200RPM 64MB Cache (OEM)

You can also get an expander from WD.

pmcsplaza
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I've been using THIS one since my 8300HD days...now using an 8642HD.

Peter
Toronto

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
I'm trying to remember, the 8300 has the esata as well? Been a while and I forget.

Just about any SHOULD work. Maybe buy from a place you can return it to, if you run into issues.

pmcsplaza
I'm a Trusted Contributor

It did as far as I recall.  I think it was the Firewire port that wasn't active.   It;s been a while though so I could be wrong.

Peter
Toronto

cpcs07
I've Been Here Awhile

I had an external drive that i built that worked just fine until the famous firmware update of 2011.  started losing shows all over the place.  Called the so called support line and their take was: we only support rogers sourced external drives so disconnect yours and call us back.  

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

@cpcs07 wrote:

I had an external drive that i built that worked just fine until the famous firmware update of 2011.  started losing shows all over the place.  Called the so called support line and their take was: we only support rogers sourced external drives so disconnect yours and call us back.  

We have a Western Digital extender purchased from Best Buy. And yes, with the famous firmware update of 2011, we lost all of our shows! It is working fine though once again, but Rogers is again inflicting a new SARA update (1.93.14.1) upon customers and I cringe at the thought of what might happen. You would think that they might learn something from past experience, but I can only assume that there is nothing but incompetents working for Rogers!

pdqweb
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes they udpated the software Sept. 13, 2012 and the hard drive cycling on/off started again.  Same old song "no idea what the problem is"  Tech even came to the house to test the signal and also said "no idea.."  Everyone should phone them every day until they fix the problem. I can't go through this again as one PVR is where we sleep and needs to be turned off at night! I can't believe every customer can't hear it cycling on and off - 8 time in one hour. The second PVR is the same so it isn't hardware, although this could be a ploy by the maker to fry all the PVRs so we'd have to buy new ones (not).

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor
You have to love Rogers. First they force a firmware update for the 8300 PVR that fixes many non-problems and you just have to suck it up and live with all the aspects they break in the process. Then they refuse to go back to the previous problem free version. Then they create a master ticket to cover many of the complaints to date (PT00063763), but have no expected fix date!

here too...this latest firmware.... lost all my shows on my external and now it won't recognize it ...... got it to eventually recognize another drive i had layin around, recorded a show... came home to watch it.... it was there in list but wouldn't play .... then the 8642 started a reboot .... show dissapeared so did the available space .... external not recognized again...** 

**edited for content

dangit
I've Been Here Awhile

Does anyone know if rogers 1tb extender works with 8300? was told by rogers to get one but first one did not work and traded it in for another and it does not work. it records ok but the picture freezes every few minutes.

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

The freezing during playback is not caused by your extender. It is caused by a recent firmware update to the 8300 PVRs. There are nummerous other threads on here which detail the effects of this update - none of them good!

timlocke
I Plan to Stick Around

@Speedy1701    I have the same extender box but with a Caviar Green drive.    I faintly remember reading that the Caviar Green does not work rel;iably with the 8642 whereas your Caviar Black does... migt have been on here or on DigitalHome Canada