Extended coverage on 6s issue

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MMB60
I'm Here A Lot

Extended coverage on 6s issue

I have an iPhone 6s. Every since the implementation of the Extended coverage I cannot keep a connection in my home. My connection was perfect before the service was introduced. Regardless of whether I am using Automatic or manually selecting Rogers (or any of the other that show up) I have no service, or 'moments' of service. I can actually watch my phone switch from one service to another while it is sitting on my computer desk beside me. As I mentioned, I did not have any issues before EXT was introduced. I've reset my network settings with the same result.

Is there an update coming? Can i get rid of the service? Any suggestions are welcomed.

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Extended coverage on 6s issue

Hi @MMB60

Welcome to the Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Access tothe Extended Network is available on all ShareEverything plans and cannot be removed. EXT will always be picked up in cases where the Rogers signal is weaker than that of the surrounding networks.

Another option could be the use of WiFi calling available on Apple devices.

You can get more information here.

@RogersPrasana

View solution in original post

All Replies
RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @MMB60

Welcome to the Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Access tothe Extended Network is available on all ShareEverything plans and cannot be removed. EXT will always be picked up in cases where the Rogers signal is weaker than that of the surrounding networks.

Another option could be the use of WiFi calling available on Apple devices.

You can get more information here.

@RogersPrasana

View solution in original post

MMB60
I'm Here A Lot

I called tech support and they have escalated my issue. Wifi calling seems a step backwards to me - when I could make flawless calling, and text anywhere in my condo before the EXT service. Now i have to wait for handoffs to make calls, and have periods (an hour) where i cannot text at all.

Thanks for the suggestion/workaround though!

MMB60
I'm Here A Lot

I have narrowed the issue down on my own, however tech support just got back to me and wants me to call in. The deal is I am having trouble only messaging people without iphones now when I am at home. Messages do not deliver...I have reset network settings, and all settings for that matter. I did not have this issue before the EXT coverage.

RogersZia

Hi @MMB60,

Were you able to speak to tech support about your issue? Also if it's just a texting issue to Non-iPhone users, can you check to see what your iMessage settings are?

Thanks,

RogersZia

MMB60
I'm Here A Lot

My situation has gone from bad to worse. The issue is not with my Messages settings (they have not changed since prior to the EXT service, and I was texting and calling flawlessly before). The issue now, is I am not supposed to be getting EXT in my home. The engineering team says there are several towers within a 5km radius of my home, and I should not be getting EXT in my home - and yet, I am. In fact, while the phone sits on my desk, I get EXT, 3G, LTE, Rogers, No Service...and all in a 20 minute time span. I have wiped my phone, put my sim card in another 6s (same issue), I have put a new sim card in my phone, and had my phones hardware checked (it is fine). The issue is the EXT service, which Rogers level 1 and 2 tech support also tell me I cannot turn off. Even if I manually select Rogers now, I still have the same issue. I admit this is a very strange issue. I have put a lot of time and effort in to this. Rogers says it is my phone, still, or it is interference - which I find hard to believe. That this 'interference' happened at the exact same time that I got the EXT service, is highly unlikely. They have no answer for this, and no fix, except to suggest I use wifi calling, which you did before, and which i am now using. But come on - this is not a solution (using my internet providers service, for something that worked perfectly fine in my home for more than two years is a workaround bandaid at best - and who will pay my ISP if I go over on my data limit there?). I am not happy at this point. To be told by tech support that I should not be getting EXT service in my home, while looking at my phones top left corner, in my home, and seeing Rogers EXT, is quite infuriating. I was happy with my service until this. I was even a promoter of Rogers. I am not now. Not sure what my options are at this point. Suck it up I guess...until my contract runs out....

GingerGa
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm sorry you're having such trouble. I had a similar problem a few months back, but mine was with my LTE service. No matter what I did, I could not get an LTE signal in my home city where I used to get LTE all the time. What I think caused it was changing my plan, but who knows. Tech support kept telling me it was my phone, that it was my sim card, and so on and so on. I had wiped my phone, done multiple network resets, changed my plan again, got two new sims, went to Apple, put my sim in a friends phone, all to find out that it was NOT my phone and it was something on Rogers end. So after dozens of phone calls, my request being escalated twice and several hours wasted at the mall, I called in and threatned to leave Rogers. So my case was escalated again and within a few days it was fixed.

Had a similar problem with getting WiFi calling set up on my mom's phone sice her iPhone was purchased unlocked. Called dozens of times, nothing changed. Then one day miracurasly it was fixed. So, ya never know.

I know it doesn't sound like a fun solution, but I thought I would share my experience. I hope it gets fixed for you soon. Just gotta put some fire under thier butts. Sorry Rogers, I love you, but sometimes things can get difficult.

One last suggestion, check under settings, about and the carrier version numer should be 24.2, thats the most current. If it's not 24.2, leave that window open for a few seconds and if you have the latest iOS version it should prompt with an update.

Best of luck!