Extended Network with My10 plans

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Regular

Extended Network with My10 plans

I'm just trying to understand what the limitation of the extended network is with the my10 plans. Personally I cannot understand why there would be such of a limitation, all calls are itemized on the invoice.... the only thing I can see is to force users to switch to a new "in-market" plan --

I don't know about other, but myself, I would be willing to pay an additional $5/mo on my current plan to be allowed to use the extended network -- sure I could get a shareEverything plan, but for me, the nhl game centre, and media addons do not add value to me,

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Extended Network with My10 plans

Actually now that i think about it.. it kind of makes sense.

With the my5/10, it allows you to call those numbers, no matter where you are, regardless of where they are long distance, etc.  I beleive, rather than just ZEROING all charges for that.. it sort of deems those numbers as always 'local'

(if i remember correctly from when my wife had it)

With the ext coverage.. it is connecting to OTHER carriers towers, etc..
With the way it does switching/contact between the two, how the other carrier detects local/long, etc.. could be stuff in which the my5/10 doesnt know how to 'talk' woth properly.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @b-ry

Thanks for your post.

Definitely understand where you're coming from, unfortunately Extended Coverage is a feature only available with our Share Everything plans/In market plans.

As it's one of the many great features of our Share Everything plans, we can take a look at assisting you change your plan.

Send us a message @CommunityHelps and we can go over some options for you.

@RogersPrasana

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

actually extended network is available to more then the in-market/ShareEverything plans... I know people on grandfathered plans without the My# circle calling that do in fact get extended coverage --

What is the technical limitation of the my# plans that make them not compatible for extended coverage?

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Only Share Everything customer have access to Extended Coverage. Others had it on trial up until May 24th but that's it. I don't believe there's really a technical restriction per se. It's a feature being offered to entice people to sign onto Share Everything plans.

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

@lockdown2341 thanks, but according to both the FAQ page,

http://www.rogers.com/web/support/wireless/coverage/2178?setLanguage=en

"Who is eligible for Extended Coverage?

Almost all of our plans qualify for Extended Coverage. You just need to be a postpaid wireless customer with a compatible device. It’s meant for customers who live within the Rogers network and happen to travel occasionally into Extended Coverage areas outside the Rogers network.

Wireless Home Phone, Wireless Business Phone, Rocket Hub, prepaid and zone-based or calling circle plans (e.g., My5/10, small business shared plans and MY1/2/5 enterprise business plans) are not eligible for Extended Coverage."

And I've been confirmed by support before on this, that my my10 feature is what is not enabling me to connect to extended.

I know others without ShareEverything plans and don't have any my10 feature that are still in fact getting extended coverage.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Actually now that i think about it.. it kind of makes sense.

With the my5/10, it allows you to call those numbers, no matter where you are, regardless of where they are long distance, etc.  I beleive, rather than just ZEROING all charges for that.. it sort of deems those numbers as always 'local'

(if i remember correctly from when my wife had it)

With the ext coverage.. it is connecting to OTHER carriers towers, etc..
With the way it does switching/contact between the two, how the other carrier detects local/long, etc.. could be stuff in which the my5/10 doesnt know how to 'talk' woth properly.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Gdkitty You are correct. Extended Network is not compatible with MY5/MY10 due to those reasons.

On a personal note; I have a MY10 plan and I'm not eligible for Extended Network.

RogersDarrell

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

Thanks @Gdkitty and @RogersDarrell.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Aww that sucks.  I just ended up in an extended coverage zone for work and just learning about this!  I'm still on the 6gig super plan with MY10 as well and Rogers reps keeps calling but I always would end up paying more to have the same stuff!  Well except for this extended coverage thing!

It should be a time limited add on we could buy!

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

@ynohttna Yes, I agree with you with a proposed addon for Extended coverage, I and I believe many others would be willing to pay to have access to extended coverage on our non-eligible plans.

I am not sure if it would work for you, but for me, after doing the math for my usage, I found that if I where to get a dual SIM phone and get a data only tablet flex plan (say from TELUS, or whosever coverage zone is native), that using Rogers One Number as my phone and text over the tablet plan and/or wifi in these areas would be cheaper then shifting to an eligible plan -- its not for everyone, but it would work for me.