cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Express Modem Docsis 3

MosportMike
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey guys, I was just wondering if I can keep my network wired if I were to upgrade my modem from the docsis 2 DPC2100 to the new docsis 3 modem.    I do not want go wireless in my home.   

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Express Modem Docsis 3

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You certenly can.

The docsis 3 modem/gateways, have built in wireless, but you do not have to use it.

Both of them have wired ports built in, if you want to use them to connect.

Or you can connect your own router and set the gateway in bridged mode.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You certenly can.

The docsis 3 modem/gateways, have built in wireless, but you do not have to use it.

Both of them have wired ports built in, if you want to use them to connect.

Or you can connect your own router and set the gateway in bridged mode.

ottawacan
I Plan to Stick Around

Mosportmike,

Why do you want to upgrade to a docsis 3 modem? Will it give you faster download speeds?

What speeds are you getting now with Express and the DPC2100? (using speedtest.net? I always use Fibrenoire in Montreal, for reference... from Ottawa.)

Will you rent or buy a docsis 3 modem?

I can confirm, at least myself, where i live... that upgrading to a D3 modem, did increase my speeds.

Not only speedtests (which really are not true speed tests due to the speed boost).

But i overall have noticed increased speed in general.. as well as when downloading multiple files.
In the past.. say downloading 3 files, same source, i would max about 150k/s on each.

When i downloaded with the D3 recently, same source, was pulling between 200-300k/s.

Myself.. i rent.. all my rogers equipment.

Yes.. after 2 years, i will be paying MORE than someone who bought it.
But in the past.. i just dont trust the equipment... my father in law went through 3 surfboard modems.
The rogers cable boxes.. i had 5 8300's..
If i had bought these things.. i would be out ALOT of money, having to buy them after the warranty is out.

MosportMike
I Plan to Stick Around

I went out last evening and upgraded to the Cisco DCP3832...  I am very happy with this modem!!      So, the SA DCP2100 I had really is a piece of junk that needed replacing.    Again, Im wired, so I don't know how the wireless performs. 

For wired gamers:   It's the best Call of Duty experience I've had since the original Modern Warfare, when I used to have the Motorola Surf Board.       

MosportMike
I Plan to Stick Around

Ooops... Meant Cisco DCP3825.  

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation