Explorer 3290 replaced with 940

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Explorer 3290 replaced with 940

We own our boxes, But recently had the 3290 box stop working,

Service came to fix the problem and replaced the 3290 box,

A day later, The 3290 box failed again.

Rogers service came to fix the problem, But couldn't remedy the problem,

So they replaced the 3290 box with an inferior 940 box.

Upon asking when I'll get my 3290 box back, I was told that that was the replacement box,

Had I rented the box, It wouldn't bother me too much, But since I owned the 3290 box,

Getting an inferior box as a replacement for my better feature box is unacceptable.

I have called many times to Rogers service, But I can't get anyone to give me my 3290 box back,

I think they should have fixed the problem with the signal, Rather than replace the box with an analog one.

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Explorer 3290 replaced with 940

what do you mean inferior? the 940 does everything your 3290 did, if not, its newer, probaly has a faster processor too, and SVideo out.

was your 3290 a purchased box? did you own it and was it under warranty?

I'm a Senior Advisor

I agree the boxes probably work the same and provide the same service. That said it is a smaller box with external power brick, to me those are issues as I'm into the ascetics of my home theater / electronic equipment. I spray painted my 8300HD so that it would match the rest of my stuff and exchanged my rental 8300HD for a cisco one as soon as I could.

When I first got digital tv in this house the tech gave me some smaller box.. I exchanged it right away..

Call me crazy or A.R... I am...

Man the bad word censorship is tight in this place...

I Plan to Stick Around

[quote] what do you mean inferior? the 940 does everything your 3290 did, if not, its newer, probaly has a faster processor too, and SVideo out.

was your 3290 a purchased box? did you own it and was it under warranty? [/quote]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 940 doesn't have a PC input, Nor does it have digital audio or the multitude of hookups,

The 940 is a below budget box for a sub consumer market, Bargain basement if you ask me.

Was it owned?< Yes the 3290 was an owned box and with a one year warranty from Rogers.

The only thing good about the 940 it has going for it, Is that it hasn't died yet,

Never mind the feedback it caused to my TV when I tried the stereo outputs from it into my television inputs.,

Which in turn are attached to my equalizer and external speaker system.

(Never got feedback from the 3290 when I had it hooked up the same way)

The 940 has S Video, You got that right, Too bad my television is from the 21st century and not the 20th century.

I'm a Senior Advisor

The feedback is usually due to the volume level set on the STB. Either turn it up or down... As for digital audio it does look like it has digital coax on the back (the orange/brown plug) you should be able to use that if your receiver supports that connection.

What do you mean by PC input?

Still that box looks like junk..

I Plan to Stick Around

The 3290 has a DVI input on the back, I used it with a DVI -> HDMI cable,

Can't do that on a 940 box.

If the 940 does have a digital audio out, It's not of the same type as the 3290.

I'm a Senior Advisor

ah the DVI is an output not an input.. (atleast I think thats the case.)

If your using something with HDMI sounds like you have an HDTV in which I would suggest exchanging for an HD box.

Yes it is not an optical digital connection you need to use and RCA type cable for it.
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, I have an HD LCD TV, It can also be used as a 25" monitor for my computer,

Which is one of the things I use it for, Like watching Netflix and Boxee when my Rogers connection fails,

Which had been quite a lot in the past few weeks since I first started riding this train.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Yeah go for an HD box... You get much better picture quality and they will have digital optical out.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The 3290 is still an SD box even though it had DVI output.  I agree with Chris, you should inquire about a 4250 as the next replacement if you are going to be using it with an HDTV.