cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expanding my home network - need suggestions

Keeyan
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello. 

I am expanding my home network and I would like to add a switch for more wired capabilities.

My current set up = Hitron CGN3 (on bridge mode) - Dlink router Dir 645 (wired and wireless) - Belkin router (Access point only) works great.

If I add a Netgear GS608 switch before  the Dlink router, do I have to enable Hitron's gateway and disbale the bridge mode? Do I have to change the Dlink into Access point only? can I still used the LAN ports on my Dlink router?

This what I am thinking, not sure if it will work - Hitron CGN3 ( OFF bridge mode) - Netgear GS608 switch -  Dlink router Dir 645 (wired and wireless) - Belkin router (Access point only)

Need your suggestions and help. 

Thank you.

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Expanding my home network - need suggestions

Keeyan
I Plan to Stick Around

Okay.  Finally had the chance to work on this ...  and it worked out great for me.

Like what I said I will make the cgn3 as the gateway and disable wifi (instead of bridged only function),  added a switch after cgn3 and connect 2 routers on the switch. And yes Roger thanks for the tip, I don't need to change both routers as an access point only.

Thanks again.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

RogersAsif
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @Keeyan

Welcome to the Community Smiley Happy

It would depend on whether or not the switch has DHCP capabilities. If it does, you could leave the CGN in bridge mode and connect the switch to it then connect the DLINK router and so on.

You wouldn't need to change to DLINK Router to Access Point only and should still be able to use the LAN ports.

Personally, I would recommended running the switch after the DLINK Router.

When i was working on optimizing my home network i used a combination of the Hitron Gateway, Power Line Extenders, and a Linksys EA4200 as an access point. It works great for my personal situation(greater wireless range and ethernet ports upstairs). I run the CGN 3 ACR(no bridge) on my main floor, have a powerline extender hooked into the CGN and a power outlet on my main floor.  2nd Power Line Extender unit is upstairs with a ethernet port that's plugged into Linksys Access Point. I use the wireless and wired ports on the Linksys access point.

Feel free to chime in with some suggestions CommunitySmiley Happy

RogersAsif

netwrks
I Plan to Stick Around

@Keeyan  This should work..

Hitron CGN3 ( bridge mode) -  Dlink router Dir 645 (wired and wireless) - Netgear GS608 switch plugged into Dlink Router -  Belkin router (Access point only) plugged into DLink Router.

Keeyan
I Plan to Stick Around
Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, it would be ideal to run the switch after the Dlink router. However, my patch cable/LAN cables are all located in the basement and I am running out of wired connection on my Dlink since it is only 4 port router. What I want to do is to take the Dlink router up on the main floor, (which currently located in the the basement beside the CGN) for better wireless coverage and add the netgear 8 port switch to handle all wired connections in the basement.

Keeyan
I Plan to Stick Around

I found that I can use the CGN as a gateway and disable the wireless feature. If that is the case, I am thinking of putting the switch after the CGN and connect the dlink and the rest to the switch. Will that work as well. Sorry guys I am new to this thing ...

RogersAsif
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

No need to be sorry @Keeyan, the Community is here to helpSmiley Happy

And yes it should work, try it out and let the Community know if it doesn't work. We can provide some more suggestions.

RogersAsif

Keeyan
I Plan to Stick Around

Okay Thanks. I'll keep you posted.

Do you know if your home has structured wiring installed?  That is a set of wire bundles that run from the Structured Wiring Cabinet in the basement to each room, with each room recieving at least one wire bundle run from the basement.   The bundle is comprised of two RG-6 cables for satellite or Cable TV, one Cat-5e or better ethernet cable for data, and Cat-3 (possibly Cat-5e) for telephones.  If that bundle to each room is installed, parking devices anywhere in the home and moving data around becomes a simple task.  Typically a contractor will install the wire bundles, and only install a single connector on one of the RG-6 cables or telephone jack.  The remainder of the bundle will be tucked in behind the wallplate, waiting for the day when someone comes along and put it to use.

Keeyan
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes. I believe it called IBM home director or something ... 

Ok, that sounds interesting.  If you look behind a wallplate that has a telephone, ethernet or cable connector you might see the rest of the wire bundle sitting there, without connectors installed.  Its not a huge task to install keystones and wallplate for the keystones.  That is what I did, so that each wallplate where the bundle terminates now has two RG-6 Keystones, one Cat 5e ethernet keystone, and one Cat 3 keystone.  They are actually RJ-11 and RJ-45 keystones.  The modem (in Bridge mode) is sitting on the main floor connected via RG-6 to the Rogers cable down in the basement, and the ethernet run to my office is used to run from an Asus router to a Dlink switch downstairs which is then connected to all of the rooms.  That modem and Asus router could sit anywhere in the house near an RG-6 cable keystone, and then connect to the ethernet network via the structured wire bundle back downstairs and then anywhere else in the house.

Just doing some quick reading:  The IBM X-10 Home Director uses your existing AC power wiring to control lights and appliances by transmitting encoded signals to modules located around the house.   So that is essentially like a network range extender, which uses the electrical wiring in your home to transmit data from one room to the other.  Not related to Structured Wiring at all.

Keeyan
I Plan to Stick Around

Okay.  Something to explore. Thanks for the idea. 

Keeyan
I Plan to Stick Around

Okay.  Finally had the chance to work on this ...  and it worked out great for me.

Like what I said I will make the cgn3 as the gateway and disable wifi (instead of bridged only function),  added a switch after cgn3 and connect 2 routers on the switch. And yes Roger thanks for the tip, I don't need to change both routers as an access point only.

Thanks again.

DHCP disabled in both access points and running in the CGN3?  Also check for firmware updates for your routers as there have been security issues that have come up over the last two years requiring router updates.

Keeyan
I Plan to Stick Around

I haven't updated my router's firmware yet since I bought them.  Best time to do it now ...

If you can't find updates for them, check for a DD-WRT compatible version to replace the stock firmware.  Any DD-WRT versions should be fully up to date.

Keeyan
I Plan to Stick Around

Will do. And will disable the DHCP as well, did not do that. Better be safe than sorry!

By disabling the DHCP servers in the access points, that leaves the CGN3 in charge of all LAN IP addresses, so there would not be any conflict.  With the DHCPs running in the routers, unless you had set the routers to different LAN IP address ranges, there would be a possibility of address conflicts on the LAN.

Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!

Topic Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 in conversation