Exchanging Rented HD PVR Box For New Explorer 8642

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Exchanging Rented HD PVR Box For New Explorer 8642

I noticed that Rogers is advertising the new Explorer 8642HD PVR box. Usually you can just go into a Rogers store and exchange your current box for another if its not working. I'm wondering if they'll allow you now to exchange your current rented box for a new one?

I've had many issues with mine not taping certain shows and i'm thinking its near its end and I would really like one of the newer boxes. Do the stores even have the new PVR box for rentals?

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Exchanging Rented HD PVR Box For New Explorer 8642

Some store's in the GTA have the new 8642 in stock for rental now, but not all of them.  Rogers will never exchange you a brand new box at retail, its always gonna be a refurbished one. I only had 30 days after I bought it to exchange at BestBuy only, because that's where I originally got it.

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the advice

I dont really care if its refurbished, but if I'm going to change mine with another I would like the newer model. I would think I have a valid argument being as the amount I pay to rent the thing (at $25/month) I'll have paid it off and then some by the time I need to change it for another.

I'm still trying to figure out the point in buying one since as soon as the warranty is up (which I assume is 90 days to maybe a year) you're stuck if it stops working.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I'm not sure if Rogers is renting the new ones yet. I know for the first few months of their release they were only for sale and you couldn't rent them.

As for why anyone would buy one vs renting. Well rogers only rents the 160GB version but you can buy up to a 500GB version in stores. Also if you figure you'll be keeping it for long enough it may save you money in the end.

My question is why would anyone buy one of the larger capacity ones instead of just getting the 160GB one and changing the harddrive?

I'm Here A Lot

I guess my main worry in buying one is the fact that in the 4 years i've had an HD PVR, i've gone through about 7 because of what seems like bad luck and technical issues. All to the point where they sent someone out to look at the line and blamed the box each time.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Yep I don't blame you for not wanting to buy one. I won't buy one because it's just another investment into a company I may or may not want to stay with for the next 5 years. Who knows what new technology will come out in 5 yrs and who will be offering it. My iPhone is more powerful than my top of the line computer 10 yrs ago... 

I would rent a 160GB one and replace the hard drive (keeping the old one incase I run into technical issues and need to put it back in to exchange it.)

I don't think owning hardware that is tied to one company is a smart investment. If I could use the PVR with any company and modify it as I see fit then maybe it would be worth buying..

I'm Here A Lot

How easy is it to switch the hard drive? I would say im decent with computers so it does't scare me too much!

I'm a Senior Advisor

I haven't done so with the 8642HD as I don't have one but I did do it with the 8300HD. Here is a link with some info on someone doing it with the 8642HD.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/2010/04/upgrade-your-rogers-8642-hd-pvr/

Looks like it can handle even bigger HardDrives than the 8300H did.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I guess I should mention that you can attach an external hard drive via the e-sata connector on the back of the device. This method is probably the preferred one by Rogers, but not really my preferred method as you will need to have yet another device plugged in and running beside your pvr.
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks so much for the tips, much appreciated!