Exchanging Rented HD PVR Box For New Explorer 8642

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Exchanging Rented HD PVR Box For New Explorer 8642

Is there any reason why the firm updates cannot be moved to 4 a.m.. It takes up to 20 minutes for the updates and the box to restart. Therefore, if I'm watching a show at that time, it's worthless.

I know some "I'm not a Rogers employee" will post some party-line posts. But I would prefer the real employees to answer.

***Edited labels***

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Exchanging Rented HD PVR Box For New Explorer 8642

Hello lathomas

This has been posted before. The updates are staying that time as Rogers picked that time to do the updates. Mind you its not only for Cable, the site goes shut down & some cell service does too. Sadly we all wish for them to be moved but i doubt it will happen anytime soon as many of us have asked this to be moved but never done it:(

You will not get a Rogers rep to comment on here as if they do, they will post the same.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As meowmix said, a rogers rep MIGHT answer, but will likely say the same thing.
This board, while monitored by rogers reps, is primarily for USER to USER help..

We have all asked for them to be moved (although the move will STILL effect some people, night shift workers, etc).  What would be best would be notification "There is an update, choose the time within the next 24 hours for this to be applied" and you can pick.. and if you dont it will then do it automaticaly, etc.

All we can do it hope they change/fix it... someday.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I think it's just a shortcoming of the PVR's operating system. It ought to be able to download updates in the background and then install them and reboot when when the PVR is off, similar to your computer. I have an older SA8300 SD PVR and have never experienced these problems, but it seems like the new boxes need to do a lot of updating every night, but aren't capable of doing it in the background or when they're not in use. Rogers will never be able to please everybody as to when they deploy updates. It looks like the new PVRs were released without enough thought.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Trusted Contributor

it would be nice if they could come up with some solution. Last night I was recording as show from 1 am -2 am. (10 pm-11pm western time) and of course at about 1:30 am it did an update.
I'm a Regular

The old guide doesn't update at 2am if you want to try that.