Ever hear of Rocket HUB $50 max overage charge?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skinorth
I'm an Advisor

Re: Ever hear of Rocket HUB $50 max overage charge?

@DanielZ:

I feel your pain, as do hundreds of other Canadians.  I have used a W35 RocketHub for about 2 1/2 years now, and know what you mean about this being an expensive option.

Actually, there are two issues to deal with when using the RocketHub:

1. the month to month cost of the service, given the low, low 3 Gbyte/month basic usage allowance;

2. the relatively low actual data volumes possible (despite the advertised maximum data rates) which really limit the practicality of transfering, for example, video files;

2a: the impact of random disconnects which happen from time to time.

If you are in a rural area, I doubt that LTE is available to you at this time, as its deployment seems to be limited to only the major urban centers.  That means that G3 is that best you will have available for the foreseeable future.

So, based on personal experience, I must tell you that this option seems to be the only one available to us, and  there really seems to be no way either to improve the quality of the service, or to lower the cost to us, the subscriber.  Certain Rogers Dataflex programs have a $50 max overage provision, but I am not sure they are still being offered.

skinorth

hogwild69
I Plan to Stick Around

skinnorth you must not really read the forums from the otherside of the fence being a mo here as everyone has stated the golden 50 dollor overage was either a unknown unprinted contracted rule that upto now has been over ridden as i and may others in the past few post are certainly being charged more than 50 dollars for overage my bill for 20-25 gis the last 1.5 years with public ip addon was 132.48 last month 236.23  with no formaly notice just told by customer service that in your june or july bill you where notified of overage changes,,,well that was bs also check bills comments where to try and track your usage better because in the last 6 mnths you have exceed your top tier plan usage.....some whos got the right story????

hogwild69
I Plan to Stick Around

All users being capped please complain to rogers and quote this binding information that was tracked by wikipedia at the time most of us where on the early tiering plans meant for mobile iternet in particular  rocket hub plans starting in 2010  http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Rogers_Wireless&oldid=466041585

DaveWormald
I've Been Here Awhile

We have been on the Rogers Turbo Hub for more than a year now. We moved from Bell Mobility's similar service specifically because of the $50 overage cap on the data plan. We had been told about it by a friend and Rogers confirmed its existence verbally when we called. Our bills demonstrate that we were consistently billed only $50 over the base $60 rate. Like others, we received the email from Rogers during the summer that reiterated the standard data plan and billing rates (no mention of the cap). We called and were told that it didn't apply to us because we had the cap (our friend was told the same thing). The bill for September came in at roughly $533.00 (automatic credit card payment). We called and were given some additional mis-information (that there was a second cap at 50GB and once over that, you would pay the standard fees). We escalated, asking for a call from a manager. A couple of days later we received a voice message saying that they had called several times with no answer and were therefore closing the case. We called support again and asked for another call (on a Rogers cell phone). We were told we'd be called within 72 hours. The call never came, so we called support again and escalated using Chat this time. The chat agent told us that the cap had been eliminated and that there was nothing that could be done about it. It was apparently a "business decision". We said we didn't see this as reasonable and were told that there was no leeway on the decision. We indicated that we would move all our services from Rogers (including my work wired internet service, plus our company mobile plan) to a competitor. They said they would be sorry to lose our business, but nothing could be done.

They then said they'd reverse the charges for September and October (October's bill came in today at another outrageous amount). They are also giving us free service for November and December. Everyone who has had this problem should call support, escalate and arrange this same thing. I have screen snaps of the chat if these become necessary. We were also told we can escalate to "the office of the president", which we will do. I'll post an update on how that works once we've done it.

There's no question that the $50 cap was an undocumented feature, but it was confirmed to us verbally and we made the decision to pay to terminate our Bell Mobility contract because of it. To drop the feature mid-contract seems unethical to me, if not actually illegal. I think we need to do what we can to reverse this decision, at least for the duration of existing contracts. In the meantime, I'll be searching for other rural internet options. We're in Campbellville and there's an alternate service coming online in Milton. It isn't available at our house yet, but I'll be speaking to them again to determine whether they have plans to expand.

I hope you'll call Rogers support to add your voice to this complaint.

boller4presiden
I've Been Around

I am having the same problem could you please provide me ammunition that you received what was stated.

You can pm me the chat 

**edited for content**

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It sounds to me like your constantly going over the alloted data bucket you are given with your rogers rocket hub and they used to charge you a one time flat fee of $50 for overage now they are charging you more?

Do u understand the concept of Overage to begin with? obviously if your always going over, you might want to investigate that first and formost before you go screaming at Rogers. Your internet usage has obviously went up, something has triggered it, are you streaming youtube videos, or watching net flicks or downloading movies? or do you have kids who do such? obviously you should realize your using a cellular based connection and adjust your usage patterns because of that. I have never gotten a bill for overage when I was using the rocket stick, why? because I monitor and adapt my usage carefully to my plan. I dont simply just browse and download everything and anything in sight, im not saying you do, but then you should realize, if you keep going over, why not use a fixed broadband service like rogers cable internet or bell or from one of the competitors who offer more bandwidth?

My friend was constantly using the rocket hub untill we convinced him to switch to Rogers Cable internet and his problems were all solved. with the rocket hub he only had 6gb of data, thats kinda small, with the rogers cable, he had 60 gb, and had not had any problems since. get what I'm saying?

skinorth
I'm an Advisor

@Pauly:

early on in this thread I made some comments on this as well.  Being a long-time RocketHub user, I know we seldom go over the 3 Gbyte monthly usage.  I do consciously limit my downloading, and especially video usage.  As well, our data connection is so slow that large data volumes are a pain anyway.

But, given the tone of the discussion here, and the fact that many seem to think that Rogers' past $50 max overage billing practices gave them permission to grossly exceed the 3 Gbyte usage limit with impunity, I would predict you and I will get flamed for our comments.

My concern is that the past excessive overage practices highlighted here have now spoiled it for those of us who may, by accident or mischance, now exceed the overage in a major fashion.  I wonder if Rogers will now just charge and charge and charge, much more than a maximum $50 amount, for those who get in that situation by accident.

skinorth

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am only trying to help. If someone wants to flame me for being a helpfull person then I will ignore them, I'm just saying if you keep going over your usage, then you need to re-consider is this the right usage for you, maybe they offer data plans with more usage? maybe upgrade to a bigger plan? if one does not exist, look at the competiton? does bell or telus offer a turbo hub? how much data do they offer, whats their overage? The thing is, rogers MAKES/ENFORCES the policy, we have no control over it, complaining usually does not get the problem resolved, but it is a good way to vent, the only solution is to find someone who offers service for your needs

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

its also kinda like me getting a speeding ticket every month, if the police give me a ticket for $40 every month for speeding, and I pay it knowing I'm speeding, then one month, the police some how jack up the fine for the speeding infraction ive been doing to $240, I get caught speeding, but this time I'm forced to pay $240, instead of $40, now is complaining to the police going to get me off the hook? probably not? did I learn a lesson? the fines are increased to DETER me from speeding, just like the overages are increased to DETER you from going over your monthly bandwith cap. I'm not siding with rogers at all nor am I siding with the customer who constantly goes over his data, but I'm merely pointing out this from a NEUTRAL prospective. I am looking it at both parties side, and trying to find a reasonable solution to make both people happy.

89stang
I Plan to Stick Around

I was an owner of an ericsson w35 and understand what you are saying about usage. On the other hand,  being that almost everything is being done over the internet (most video places are closing due to streaming movies over the net) a 6 or even 20 gigabyte cap is becoming very easy to exceed. If there is an option to switck ot cable or something similar, then that would be great. But for alot of us in the country, myself included, this is the only option available to us.

It would be nice if they offered some type of plan for those of us with no other options.