Ethernet connectivity problems

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
karlsson95
I'm Here A Lot

Ethernet connectivity problems

I can't connect to ethernet but wifi works just fine

Using a D-link 845DL router

Whenever I connect via ethernet, I get "limited" and unidentified network

I have power cycled my router/modem plenty of times to no avail

DHCP is enabled

Have tried static and automatic IP

Cannot even ping the router when connected via ethernet

I even tried hooking up directly to the modem's ethernet cable and I still got "limited" which makes no sense since the wifi works

It is not a hardware problem with my computer ( I have tested both my PC and laptop on multiple different ethernet ports)

I really don't know what to do, I am worried that a virus or something is preventing me from connecting because I have never had this problem persist. Usually it just took a power cycle to reset it and then the computer would get the connection back.

I can provide more info as needed, but I really need help

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Ethernet connectivity problems

Thanks.  I'll be able to have a look at the user manual now to see how this router is set up. 

With the profiles deleted, you should be able to log into the modem, after a factory reset, with a direct ethernet connection so that you can kick it into Bridge mode.  After it reboots, with the modem connected to the router's yellow WAN port, you can run a reset on the router as well.  

Then with a pc connected to the router via ethernet, you should be able to log back into the router to set it up.  Select DHCP connection (Dynamic IP Address) and set up the wifi parameters and you should be ok.  With the modem running in Bridge mode and the 845L set up from ground zero, your ethernet connection should work. 

The only other thing I can think of is that the IPV4 addresses in the pc and laptop are not on automatic.  To check that go START... CONTROL PANEL.... NETWORK AND SHARING CENTER.  For the displayed ethernet adapter, right click to bring up the menu and select Properties.  That brings up the Ethernet Properties panel.  Scroll down to the bottom.  Deselect Internet Protocal Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) as it doesn't function properly on the Rogers network, which is a whole other discussion, and then select the bottom Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and select Properties just to the lower right.   That brings up the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties panel.  It should be set for "Obtain an IP address automatically"  For the DNS you could use the automatic selection, or you could choose to set the DNS server of your choice such as GOOGLE 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4, or OpenDNS 208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220.   If you wanted to use a different DNS, other than the Rogers DNS, it should be set in the router so that your whole network will use the selected server.  Running with the servers set in the pc or laptop will ensure that if the router settings are ever changed without your knowledge due to a rogue program using UPNP in the router, your pc and laptop will still use the DNS of your choice.  If you had to change either selection, IP or DNS address, hit OK, close all of the panels and reboot the pc or laptop.  If you did change the IP address selection, that change should result in the pc or laptop using the router as its ethernet gateway.  

View solution in original post

All Replies
RogersMay
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

@karlsson95

Hello and welcome to the Community Forums 🙂

When was the last time it worked?
What modem are you using?
Have you tried with a different ethernet wire?
What are the operating systems of the computer(s) you are having an issue with and what are the make of them?

I would also check to see if the ethernet drivers are up to date, try to flush the ethernet driver DNS and uninstall and re-install the ethernet adapter.

As a last resort I would try a system restore to the last time it was working correctly.

Let me know if that helps!

Regards,

RogersMay

karlsson95
I'm Here A Lot

It lasted worked on Monday

I have performed a system restore and it didn't work

My PC Is running Windows 10 (64 bit) and laptop windows 8 (32 bit)

The PC is a Gigabyte H97 motherboard, laptop is an ASUS.

I think I've tried everything that a non tech support person can try, I need some more advanced help

It seems to be a problem at the lowest level aka modem/router, both of which I am not very comfortable dealing with

RogersMay
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

@karlsson95

Thanks for the information.

You can also try swapping the modem to ensure that it's not a hardware defect.

@Datalink any insights on this?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Is this a problem for both pc and laptop?  Neither one will connect via ethernet? 

First thing I would do is delete the ethernet Network Adapters from Device manager.   Then reboot the pc or laptop.  Following the reboot, the operating system will find the adapater and reinstall the drivers.  The adapter should then connect to the router.  You will have to be in the Admin account to do this.

If that isn't successful, delete the ethernet network profiles on the pc.  Here is a link for deleting wifi network profiles on windows 10.  Have a look at that and see if you can follow the ethernet path instead of the wifi path in order to delete any existing ethernet profiles.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/forget-wireless-network-profiles-windows-10

When you have done that, reboot the pc and connect via ethernet to see if that solves the issue.

For Windows 8: Have a look at the following web page:

http://superuser.com/questions/517414/remove-a-known-network-from-windows-8

That page describes which Windows Registry keys to remove in order to remove the network profiles. 

While I was looking at this I followed a similar procedure for the pc that I use for this site.  Running the Admin Account, I started the Registy Editor.  Go to Windows Start and type regedit    That starts the Registry Editor.  Before you do anything, create a backup copy of the Registry.  Go to File.... Export and create a backup file somewhere on your pc where its easy to find.  You shouldn't have to restore it, but, just in case, you should have it available.  When all changes are completed, all you do is exit the editor and reboot the pc or laptop. 

When you are in the Registry Editor, navigate to: 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList

From there you should be able to see the Nla\Cache\Intranet,  Profiles,  Signatures\Unmanaged  directories and be able to navigate into those directories and delete the sub-folders.  In my particular case I had 4 network profiles listed in the Profiles directory, the result no doubt of switching modems and routers.  Each time the pc or laptop encounters a new network, it creates a profile in that Profile directory as well as a matching Signature key.  Removing this collection of profiles used to be easy, Microsoft has chosen to Muck this up, putting it politely.  So, under Profiles directory, here are the sub-keys that I had listed, with each in a separate sub-folder.  The folder name is listed on the left hand pane of the Registry editor, and the data on the right hand pane showed the details for each profile, including the Network that is shown below.  Note that your sub-folder names will be different, but, on the right hand pane, you will be able to see what Network that sub-folder is for:

{E1D63227-03FF-41E8-BCC0-AC42FDA7107E}                       (Network)

{1AA7EB1C-2B15-43A5-9BBA-7949E8D98F7F}                       (Network 2)

{1F3B9F38-091D-42A3-A02B-3C69EE6320DB}                       (Network 4)

{21695F50-11F1-4403-A2F1-DACEADA8683C}                       (Network 3)

If I hover my mouse over the Windows internet connect symbol on the lower right hand side of the monitor, it shows Network 2.  So, in my case I deleted all of the other network profiles or sub-folders entirely and left the Network 2 sub-folder as is.  In your case I would delete all of the sub-folders so that the Profiles directory is empty.

Under the Signatures\Unmanaged directory, I checked to see which signature matched the profiles.  On the right hand pane they showed the network that the signature was referenced to.  In my case, again, I deleted the entire sub-folder immediately under the Unmanaged directory for Network, Network 3 and Network 4, leaving Network 2 as is.  In your case, you should be able to delete all of the sub-folders so that the Unmanaged directory is empty.

Under the Nla\Cache\Intranet directory, I have:

hitronhub.home

phub.net.cable.rogers.com

Since my system is behaving as it should I left these to sub-folders alone.  In your case, as you are cleaning out the other two directories, you could probably clean out this directory as well.  The sub-folders will be rebuilt as required.  If there was a D-link sub-folder, I would definitely delete it.

Exit Regedit, and reboot.   Following the reboot, the operating system will simply create a new profile and signature key.

I'm assuming here that you have the modem set up to run in Bridge mode and the D-Link router set to run in full Router mode.  If for some reason you had the router set to Bridge mode as well, that would configure the router to run as a wifi link back to the modem, and would let you connect to the router via ethernet the ethernet ports.  This isn't what you want to do, unless of course you have the D-Link router parked at the other side of the house and need to use it as a wifi link back to the modem.

Assuming that the modem is set up to run in Bridge mode and the D-Link router set to run in full Router mode following the reboot of the Windows 8 laptop, a connection via ethernet should rebuild the necessary Registry keys and result in an operating ethernet connection. 

If I had decided to, I could have disconnected this particular pc, and completely cleaned out the sub-folders, followed by a reboot and reconnect.  That would have resulted in the network profile and signature list starting at "Network" instead of "Network 2, 3, 4, etc, etc"

Sorry for the long explanation.  As I said, this used to be really easy.

karlsson95
I'm Here A Lot

Thank you very much for the help, I really appreciate it

I'll give this a try tomorrow and I will report back on how it worked
robindp
I'm an Advisor

Wow, @Datalink is on fire...as usual!

I have seen this issue before and also recommend resetting your TCP/IP stack using netsh --> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/299357. 

karlsson95
I'm Here A Lot

I wish I could say that either of the above worked, but they did not.

I deleted the registry keys but it's not rebuilding them since I can't connect.

I don't know much about modem/router stuff but my setup is as such:

Modem with cable going in, CAT5 going out which connects to the yellow ethernet port of router. Router has multiple CAT5's going out to ethernet ports around the house.

I am at a loss, I don't understand what to do anymore. Wifi still works, I'm at the point that I might just get a USB wifi adapter and call it quits
robindp
I'm an Advisor

Man, that sucks.  Is it possible that the DHCP or LAN network settings got borked somehow?

Have you tried rebooting the Rogers modem  to factory settings?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, don't give up the ship just yet.  Can you confirm that you have the modem running in Bridge mode?

Using your wifi, you have full internet access, correct?

Can you confirm the router model number?  When I run a search for D-link 845DL I don't come up with anything useful and the D-Link site doesn't show that model number at all.

I think @robindp is thinking the same idea here.