Ethernet Stops Working Every Day Until Reboot -- Error Message: No Ranging Response received

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Someone
I Plan to Stick Around

Ethernet Stops Working Every Day Until Reboot -- Error Message: No Ranging Response received

I've narrowed this down to a problem with Rogers since I swapped my router, did a clean install of Windows, changed ethernet cables, etc. and the problem still persists.

Every day, my devices with Ethernet will disconnect and not reconnect until I manually unplug the router and plug it back in. During this time, my Wi-Fi devices still work -- they have their own issues at times but nothing as major -- (although sometimes 5G won't work, randomly, but it eventually will start working on its own).

I checked my DOCIS log for errors and it gives the following:

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out; (followed by a MAC address and things that I don't think I should give out)

warning MIMO Event MIMO (etc...)

error DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;

Keep in mind this is a CLEAN router, with all the default settings (aside from me changing the passwords on wi-fi and the admin screen).

Since I keep getting "unidentified network," "media disconnected," "not a valid ip configuration" etc. in Network settings on Windows I decided to give my computer a static IP today and see if that helps. But I doubt it will.

Right now the Ethernet works since rebooting router but I guarentee it will drop again, usually when I'm sleeping. And then I have to repeat the process agan and again. These problems started occuring about 7 days ago.

I called a tech and he said everything looked fine on his end, the street levels or whatever were fine, the signal was fine, he didn't know what the problem was. He thought it might be the router but once I told him I swapped it for a new one he said he found it would be unlikely it was the router then. He said they'd monitor the modem for 72 hours but didn't expect they'd find anything.

I've been researching what this could be and the most likely explanation is this:

I upgraded my Internet from hybrid fibre 70 to the new 250 and since then it's been way less reliable. Someone else suggested it might be Rogers overselling and it can't handle the bandwidth, since these problems only started occuring after upgrading my Internet and before everything was fine. The problem is if I "downgrade" back I will be paying MORE and at that point I will just switch providers. It ain't a problem with my devices.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Ethernet Stops Working Every Day Until Reboot -- Error Message: No Ranging Response received

I DOUBT its an overselling issue, etc.. You would would have slow downs, next to no speed, etc... but you should still be CONNECTED to the modem fine.

That you are getting 'media disconected' 'unidentified network' seems like its a direct connection problem between the PC and the router.

You swapped modems between the old plan to the new with the new router...
But have you swapped out the NEW router yet?
It might be something like flakey network ports on the router.

(When i first had my CGN3 installed, the first one had 1 bad port on it, only 3/4 worked)

(and just to check, you dont have the unit laying on its side, correct?)

Someone
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Ethernet Stops Working Every Day Until Reboot -- Error Message: No Ranging Response received

Yes, I swapped the rocket modem with another rocket modem, the fastest "and best" available. It's not the modem's ethernet ports.

And it's not just the PC, *ANY* device connected via ethernet (like an xbox one, a wii u, a magic jack), will all stop working until I reboot the router. The Wi-Fi continues to work, but it sometimes drops too -- I think the Wi-Fi works maybe because it automatically reconnects and the ethernet doesn't, but I don't know.

And it's positioned the way it's supposed to be not on the side. It's a problem with Rogers since there's no way everything i own just magically broke at the same time.

edit:

One thing I want to do is get the coax cable off of the splitter and just connect a coax cable directly to the router from the wall. I don't have Rogers TV or phone so the splitter is useless. Problem is they are stuck pretty tight on it and can't be removed by hand. Might be unrelated but it's probably degrading the signal somewhat by having 2 other cables in the splitter when there doesn't need to be.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Can you log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS.... DOCSIS WAN page, copy the Downstream and Upstream tables and paste them into this thread.  Those are the cable signal levels.  I'd like to see them just to rule out any cable signal issues.

Someone
I Plan to Stick Around

1 633000000 256QAM -4.400 7 40.366
2 591000000 256QAM -4.700 1 40.366
3 597000000 256QAM -5.200 2 40.366
4 603000000 256QAM -5.400 3 40.366
5 609000000 256QAM -5.300 4 40.946
6 615000000 256QAM -6.000 5 40.366
7 621000000 256QAM -5.900 6 38.983
8 639000000 256QAM -4.400 8 40.946
9 645000000 256QAM -4.700 9 40.946
10 651000000 256QAM -4.700 10 40.366
11 657000000 256QAM -4.400 11 40.366
12 663000000 256QAM -4.300 12 40.366
13 669000000 256QAM -4.300 37 40.366
14 675000000 256QAM -4.800 38 40.366
15 681000000 256QAM -5.300 39 40.366
16 687000000 256QAM -5.100 40 38.983
17 693000000 256QAM -4.100 41 40.366
18 699000000 256QAM -3.900 42 40.946
19 705000000 256QAM -3.900 43 40.366
20 711000000 256QAM -3.800 44 40.946
Upstream Overview
Port ID Frequency (MHz) Modulation Signal Strength (dBmV) Channel ID BandWidth
1 30596000 ATDMA - 64QAM 46.250 6 6400000
2 23700000 ATDMA - 64QAM 46.250 7 6400000
3 38596000 ATDMA - 64QAM 47.750 5 3200000

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Those aren't the greatest signal levels to have, but the modem itself shouldn't have any problems just yet.  They are on the border of having a tech come in to check out the cabling and connectors and replace them if necessary.  Are you in a house, apartment , condo, highrise, etc. etc?

Someone
I Plan to Stick Around

Apartment, although most people have bell.

And like I mentioned previously I believe the signal levels aren't good because of the splitter which has 2 cables connected to nothing. They used to be connected to a cable box and phone but I don't have those anymore (got rid of them like a year ago). So I think I need to remove the splitter and just connect straight to the wall -- but the cables are too tough to remove.

I don't think that's what's causing my problem of disconnects though, just another problem.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ah, ok. Considering that you are in an apartment and this is fairly recent, my guess is that a tech has come in to do some type of work and as a result, you're possibly seeing reduced signal levels and are now experiencing service interrupts, neither of which should be happening.  That will take a tech to come in and inspect the distribution system downstairs.  I don't believe that there is any way around that one.  The splitter will make a difference in you signal levels.  If you look at the port that your internet cable is connected to it will say either 3.5 or possibly 7, which represents a 3.5 dB drop or 7 dB drop in cable signal levels as the data travels from the input port to the output ports.  What you need is seen in the link below, which will connect the input and output internet cable together, getting rid of the drop.  A tech might have these on hand to install when necessary. 

https://www.lowes.ca/coax-cable/ideal-3-ghz-f-splice-adapter-4-pack_g1200823.html?SearchTerm=85-339

If you have any further discussions with tech support, ensure that you impress upon them that you are seeing service interruptions which are only cured by modem resets.  Just to make sure that I understand what you have, you're only running the modem and your devices, correct?  No router in between?  A modem reset can temporarily cure a signal level issue, but that does not resolve the original probem.  The next step will be to go thru @CommunityHelps   Follow that link to get to their page when you are logged into the forum and follow the right hand link to "Send this user a private message".  The moderators on duty will address your message and start the ball rolling on further action in terms of a tech visit if necessary.  

Someone
I Plan to Stick Around

When I did call they said they didn't see any issues in the neighbourhood, or any signal problems.

What you linked to, why would it be necessary instead of just connecting the cable that's on the wall to the back of the modem? Insteaf of what it is now, which is From the wall -> to the splitter -> to the modem.

And yeah all I have is roger's rocket modem (which is a router too) and my devices.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, instead of wallplate - splitter - cabling, connect the internet cable directly to the wallplate if it will reach.  That will bring the signal levels up.  If you can do that, can you repost the signal levels just to see what they end up at?

Apartments can prove to be somewhat of a challenge when things go wrong.  It might take a few tech visits to sort out.  In any event, even with adequate signal levels, you should not be seeing interruptions in the service.