cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 0X80070057 When transferring files to the internal SD card on 2.2 Captivate

plaincorgi
I'm Here A Lot

I upgraded my Captivate to 2.2 using the instructions that rogers provided. Before I did so I copied all my music off of the device.

I then upgraded the phone and then did a factory reset to 2.2 stock, as well as wiping the cache and all user data. I have done this twice now and get the same issue both times.

When I plug my phone into a computer it asks what mode I would like to use. I choose Mass Storage as keis is not installed on the computers I am using. I can start copying my music onto the phone, but when I get to around 1.3GB in, it just stops and throws the below error:

An unexpected error is preventing the operation. Make note of this error code, which might be useful if you get additional help to resolve this problem:

Error 0x80070057: The parameter is incorrect.

At this point I am unable to copy anything to the internal sd card, nor can I even make a new folder. Unmounting/remounting the phone has no effect. I have reset the phone/deleted user data/reset cache three times now and still I cannot copy all my data to the phone.

***edited labels***

38 REPLIES 38

Re: Error 0X80070057 When transferring files to the internal SD card on 2.2 Captivate

I received an email from samsung with a link toward the 2.2 update. I called rogers tech support to ask if there is a new update or they fixed the sd card back. Of course they were clieless the guy told me "I am not aware of any bug with thhis update". Anybody tried this update lately? It looks like the same version. I am refractary to upgrade again and end up with am unusable card again.

Re: Error 0X80070057 When transferring files to the internal SD card on 2.2 Captivate

Angry_Jeff
I've Been Here Awhile

I just called Rogers tech support about this issue. They are "escalating" the issue (ticket number C33738217)

Here's what I have found / tried (and doesn't work)
  • I tried formatting the Internal SD card using the phone menus....
  • I tried reverting the phone to Factory Default Settings using the phone menus...
  • I tried formatting the card using Windows
  • I tried Error Checking & Bad Sector Recovery....
  • I tried changing the card to from FAT32 to NTFS & re-formatting....
  • I tried changing the Virtual Memory on my Machine to various settings....
  • I tried all those steps above on both WinXP(32) and Win7(UltimateX64)....
  • I tried installing drivers from Kies > Tools > Install Driver
...None of these steps were successful. 
No matter what I do, Windows still recognizes the card as 2.20GB capacity and refuses to recognize any data afterwards, both in reading and in writing. If you look under Windows Disk Management, the drive is recognized as 2.20 GB (with a capacity of 13GB... interesting)
The worst part is this experiment: Try to fill your Internal SD Card with 2.2GB worth of data, then try to record a video with the phone. Then try to access that video using Explorer in Mass Storage mode. You will not be able to play / copy the file. It looks like the FAT isn't being read correctly by Win7/WinXP after there's more than 2.2GB worth of data on the Internal SD card. However, the phone itself is able to read the same data that Windows cannot, so it definitely looks like a Windows / Driver issue.
This issue doesn't seem to be a problem limited to this phone. That specific error message (0X80070057) seems to be an issue with external mass storage "flash drives" in general. It's possibly a bad driver associated with the Internal SD Card ? Not sure. I don't have a Mac, and I don't have Linux installed, so I can't say for those OSes. But I'm experiencing the same issue with both WinXP and Win7. My Win7 Ultimate x64 is 24 hours freshly installed. It's 100% updated with all the patches and there's barely any software installed. The issue happened before AND after Kies was installed. (Kies did not change anything)
It seems we are limited to 2 workarounds for now
1) Use the External SD card. It is recognized correctly within Windows.
2) Use Kies or Media Player (instead of Mass Storage). It is still possible to drag & drop within Explorer without converting. 
Obviously those are just workarounds. Not acceptable solutions... 
I talked to a Rogers techie who was very helpful and seems to be on the right track. He was going to escalate the issue using this ticket number : C33738217. I strongly suggest everyone who gets this problem to call Rogers. The more people who call, the more pressure goes to their escalation team.
I haven't tried reverting back to Firmware 2.1 (Not even sure if that's possible) Kies doesn't make it easy.
Has anyone tried to see if the same bahaviour happens under 2.1 ?

If you revert it to 2.1 it will work to copy files beyond 2.2gb but it is such a hassle to revert it to the initial rogers stock version. 

Angry_Jeff
I've Been Here Awhile

Called Rogers again. Their technician was supposed to escalate the ticket when I first called (2 weeks ago) but it's been sitting in no man's land since then. Plus apparently, the previous tech gave me an incorrect ticket number. I just called again, and another tech asked me for which version of Android I'm using and whether or not I tried removing the SD card... I almost started screaming.

PLEASE CALL ROGERS IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING THIS PROBLEM. 

This is now my ticket number: C34490211.

They will ask all the same questions that are already documented here. Seriously, save yourself some trouble and tell those technicians how to get to this thread, otherwise they will make you turn in circle..

The only thing that prevents me from returning this phone is the fact that the external SD card works. Otherwise I would have returned it a long time ago.

Their technician confirmed there is no easy way of going back to 2.1, so we're all waiting on Rogers/Samsung to come up with a solution at this point

Red_Wolf
I Plan to Stick Around

Called Rogers today and referenced your ticket number. They basically told me that I should call Samsung because Rogers is not responsible for version 2.2 that I installed on my phone because it came from Samsung.

okcoocoo
I've Been Here Awhile
I too am experiencing this problem. is there any updates? What is Rogers doing about this?

Hi all,

This is an issue with the 2.2 software on the Captivate. We are aware of the issue and have notified Samsung. The current work around is to use KIES and set the phone to media mode.

There is no other way currently known to fix this issue until a patch or update is released by Samsung.

We hope this issue will get addressed soon and thank everyone for being patient.

noname
I've Been Around

I just found a way around this problem using Windows Media 12:

1) In Windows Media Player, load all the media files you want into the "sync" section

2) Connect your phone as Media Player (not mass storage)

3) Click on "sync" on Windows Media Player and it will load all your files

I'm not sure how the sync will work in the future, but this fixed everything right away.

Good luck!

I've Been Here Awhile

any updates on this ?

I would realy like to use this phone without relying on a specific program, main reason I got rid of my Iphone.

ToxicLizard
I've Been Around

Hello all

I just got this phone a few days ago and realized the problem when adding music. I find that if I disconnect the USB Mass Storage on the phone, wait a few seconds, and then connect it again (Without unplugging it from my computer) it suddenly allows me to copy the files. However, I also find I have to do my entire music folder at once (I organized my music in a seperate folder for easy dragging and dropping to my phone) as for some reason it won't allow me to do a single file or folder inside of another folder. NOTE: I haven't tried doing anything over 2GB yet. So far, my music folder comes in at 1.70GB.

any update on this issue? it has been quite a wait for us... some of us have had to resort to rooting phones and installing apps that allow over the air transfers. I am currently using a samba solution, but its neither fast, direct or functional in some scenarios.

I would love for a fix to this problem ... or at least an update ensuring that rogers is still looking into it for us.

I have been searching for an answer to the inability to transfer files as well...recently I have found two working solutions:

1. Wireless transfer via ES File Explorer. Great app, allows for copying and pasting of files between pc and phone,  allows for streaming of video/audio/pictures from servers, etc....

2. Wired transfer via Kies.

Connect Samsung phone via Kies (i use Kies 2.0)

Once connected, go to the Kies tab for Basic Information

Beside the area listing the 'Internal Memory' click on the option to 'View in Explorer'

You can now transfer files from your computer to the smartphone using 'View in Explorer'

I have the Samsung Captivate with OS 2.2

NoEl
I've Been Here Awhile

I have a MAC and i was basically screwed by Samsung as they said they cannot help me and I should take it up with GOOGLE...

The only reason I bought this phone was because it was easy to drop your files off and that does not work.

Rogers says calls Samsung, Samsung says call Rogers... UNACCEPTABLE!!

Last product and service from either!!

TristanMike
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi all, chiming in a little late, but better late than never they say.

As far as I can tell, this is a problem with every single Rogers branded Captivate running 2.2. When using Mass Storage Mode, the phone will not exceed 2.20 GB worth of data no matter how you slice it. Resetting to factory defualts clears the issue until of course, you connect the phone to a computer using Mass Storage Mode and try copying more than 2.2 GB of data to the phone in any way. Using ScanDisk in Windows and doing a deep level scan gives back access to the internal memory, but only up to 2.2 GB, which of course is pointless. I called Samsung and spoke to the 2nd Level Tier Support Group and had him replicate/confirm the issue exists. Here is his email to me:

"Hi -------------,

Thanks for bringing to my attention the internal memory issue you’ve experienced on your Samsung Captivate. It has 13GB of free space but you’re only able to add no more than 2.2GB no matter how its added, in part or in whole. This appears to be a software limitation and the only fix would be a updated software. If and when the update is made available it will be so through Kies. Formatting the memory or resetting the phone doesn’t fix the matter.

Thanks for your patience. "

Of course, other users have noted work arounds, like using "Media Player" mode as opposed to "Mass Storage Mode". Though this does work to exceed 2.20 GB worth of data, the phone can not be connected to another external device for simply reading. For instance, my car stereo has a USB port in it. In the past, I would connect my phone to the USB port in my stereo, wait to connect, and use the stereo itself to browse and play the music. That can no longer be done, the stereo can't even recognize the device and error's out. Furthermore, if I put in an external card and use that, the devices will only recognize the internal card, which has the issue, so using an external card doesn't really help the issue either. Same with XBox, Playstation, etc.

The only true "fix" would be an updated version of firmware 2.2.

The Samsung rep told me that there was an issue with the Bell version of the phone and they did release an updated version of that firmware, so there is some hope that we will also get a fix. To the best of my knowledge, at the time of this writing, there is still no fix.

I find it odd however that the issue occured on firmware 2.2 and the phone can't exceed 2.2 GB worth of data. I wonder if there is some sort of weird connection, perhaps a flag set incorrectly.

Thanks.

bta44
I've Been Around

Yes...it is very annoying that there is still no solution to this problem.

I've started using WiFi File Explorer to transfer files over 2.2 Gb, and it works alright but still not as fast as it could be.

Please someone figure this out...or ...Rogers please release the 2.3 Gingerbread update sometime soon?

rksmith420
I've Been Around

waiting for a fix, miss my songs 😧

MicNoe
I Plan to Stick Around

This issue should be fixed after the 2.3 Gingerbread update.

AngelsKiss
I Plan to Stick Around

I had the same problem with the internal SD and formatted the card but that didn't work. However, it resolved itself after I upgraded to GingerBread.

Topic Stats