Enhanced wi-fi Modem is it any better than the wireless G-Gateway?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Enhanced wi-fi Modem is it any better than the wireless G-Gateway?

I would like to know if I was lied to by the Rogers saleman at the Rogers store.  I had the wireless G-Gateway for about four years before it died last week.  I swapped the dead one for another G-Gateway.  The G-Gateway replacement WLAN green light kept flashing when it should have been solid green.  Customer service said it was issuing an error message & was told to take it back.  The saleman said 'Now are u going to upgrade.  Rogers doesn't use those anymore, they only keep them for people who refuse to upgrade'.  Funny I found that no longer used gateway on the website.  So I upgraded.  Not sure if it's worth the extra $2.50, doesn't seem to provide any better signal strenght that the wireless G-Gateway.  Was I lied to about upgrading & if I was who so I report him to & will anything be done since he's getting more money for his employer.  I wish Rogers would bring back the customer service email response, I'm not in the mood to spend extra time on hold.  And when u get hold of a rep each one tells u something different.  One rep said well if you're connected to the internet why are u worried about the flashing WLAN light.  Because I don't know why it's flashing off & on when the last gateway that light was always a solid green. And no one told me that the light should have been flashing or not. Well anyway I want to know if I was told a lie to get more money from me. 

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Enhanced wi-fi Modem is it any better than the wireless G-Gateway?

Many will argue the point on money, but i am not going to get into that.

Is the current gateway, an upgrade from your previous G one?  Yes... mostly.  I wouldnt say he was lieing.. but they dont always give out all the info.

Your previous one, is a docsis2 modem at its heart.  The newer one, is a Docsis3.  This may not effect you much, but back end networking wise, allows them to do more as time goes on (more upstream channels, etc).  The newer ones are also needed for some people on the higher top tier speed plans.

ALL their current devices, listed on the website, are gateways.

Technicaly, your new one, is an N based gateway, so would technicaly have faster speeds (at least internaly), etc.

All of the gateways (your old one included) are very basic.. and only give minimum range, if that.. they are really not a good device... compared to say a 3rd party router pluged in, will give you MUCH better range.

But in the end.. if your other was defective.. there is not much choice, as the others are the only options available now. (unfortunately, not much better though 😞 )

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the reply.  I'm not the most tech savvy person so I was worried about being fed a line for a few extra dollars. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Is it a great device? No.. many people on here will say its garbage 😞

BUT.. it IS the current new modem/gateway.  It is the only real option now.  It TECHNICALY is better, at least on the back end, etc, newer technology, etc.