cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enhanced guide - is this a joke?

BlackIceXXX
I've Been Here Awhile

I recently "upgraded" my pvr with the Enhanced Guide. Really Rogers? Is this what you call an "upgrade"?  There are so many things horribly wrong with it that i dont even know where to begin.

- no slow motion playback (are you kidding me??)

- extremely laggy response to remote inputs

- adjusting recording time takes an extra 3 steps now

- lost a number of recorded programs after upgrading

- fast forward/rewind is much slower now

- page up/down no longer skips ahead during playback 

- hitting the Live button while watching a program on delay switches to a different channel (brilliant)

- time of current playback is not shown while watching recorded programs (it just shows elapsed time)

- pvr crashes randomly (never happened before upgrade)

- layout of guide wastes too much space and the live tv window is far too small

These are all the problems i can list off the top of my head but there are many more.

i cant understand how poorly thought out this new guide is.  It's like they threw all the good stuff out from the previous version and had a group of monkeys design this one.  

Bring back the old guide Rogers!

***Edited labels***

96 REPLIES 96

Re: Enhanced guide - is this a joke?

JenniG
I Plan to Stick Around
I like the new colour scheme too, but like others I don't like the recording or the strech features anymore, I think customers would be better served by giving us more HD like Space, AMC, Discovery, and ID that are available on every service but Rogers. Disappointing.

dlforkes
I Plan to Stick Around

It's not an "enhancement" of the old guide; it's a brand new guide and at best a beta version.

All the problems listed, plus a few more. Some real improvements over the previous guide, but also some lost functionality, and just terrible implementation with zero Q/A. If they can feel shame, Rogers should be ashamed for inflicting this on us.

century
I've Been Around
Reverted back today after a week of horrible bugginess. Over the lasted 3 years Ive rebooted twice, in the last week, Ive had to reboot the system 3 times. Freezing, guide would work but the channels wouldnt, sometimes it wouldnt even turn on. Incredibly bad. Testing would be helpful before rolling this out.

CeCe_657
I've Been Here Awhile

Its pretty ridiculous that when Rogers finally changes their guide to do things Bell and Videotron guides have done for years, they completely mess it up.
I understand and accept that there are still bugs to be worked out, but I don't understand how such a large tele-communications company could put out a service/device that is so faulty. Did no one at all do any kind of test before saying "Yes this is ready and good enough for our customers?" It really doesn't seem that way.

I wish I had seen this discussion board before upgrading to the 'enhanced' guide.
I tried to use the PVR feature that lets you record full series and nothing happened. For 3 days it did not record any of the 5 series I set to record! In my opinion there was not a single new feature on the enhanced guide that made it worth upgrading. In fact, the many many issues caused by new guide made TV viewing quite an unpleasant experience.

Thankfully I called Rogers and have been able to revert back to the old guide. (Took 5 minutes and not 5 hours like it did with the new guide)
Hopefully Rogers will have listened to it's customers and fixes these problems before they make the new guide mandatory for all.

joeyferreira
I Plan to Stick Around

You know what? Is there a number or an email address that we can call these **bleep** up at Rogers or email them with the concerns, frustrations and tell them off??? I mean we can post all we want on here, but Rogers isnt actually reading any of this, they wont do anything about it, cause they dont know how frustrated us customers are in regards to all these issues we been having, Maybe if someone know's of an email address or phone number that we can get to contact these morons directly....

robvasey
I've Been Here Awhile

I too am not thrilled witj the new IPG/onscreen guide because of all the many issues everyone has listed in this topic already.

I'm really annoyed with the new guide not functioning like the old one did when trying to look up the same program you're watching on a different channel.  What I mean is, in the old guide, you press the 'Guide' button, then press the 'A' button and a list of the same program will appear, depending on which search option you choose such as 'Title' or 'Theme'.  I used this function alot because if I was on (as an example) the SD TSN channel (channel 30 in the GTA) and I wanted to switch to the HD TSN channel but didn't know or remember the HD TSN channel number, all I had to do was press 'A' and then choose 'Title'. It would show me a listing of that particular program on different channels and at different times. The same program will show up as being on TSN HD and the channel # that TSN HD is located at.

--I don't seem to have this option any longer, and ever though it's a minor function, it's really annoying the **bleep** out of me that I can't use it to find the HD channel (if available).

Am I missing something here? Is that function still available but I'm just not seeing it?

mousetamer
I'm a Trusted Contributor
Most Rogers channels auto tune to HD if it is available. TSN is not one of them. What I did to make my life easier was to hide all the channels I don't want to see in the guide. This means that when I press the guide button I only see the channels I actually watch and 99% of those are HD. To make it even simpler, I hid all the channels below 500, except for a few that are not in HD.
As far as your question about the other channels showing it, just hit the * button and do it that way. I'm not in front of my TV so I don't know if there is a shortcut. I will check shortly and post if I find one.

joeyferreira
I Plan to Stick Around

Well guys, I finally am getting Fibe TV back on Monday July 30th, can't wait.... as for the Guide on Rogers it is totally messed up, it is extremely slow, it only shows 5 channels at a time the rest of the screen is filled with crap, as for remembering which channels are and which are not HD, I totaly hear you on that one, Rogers has so many confusing channels, you dont know which one is which, why so many repeated channels?? and they are all over the place.... with Bell Fibe TV its all super clean, and you can rest assure that whatever is on SD will be on HD, all SD channels are from 200 and up and all HD channels are on the 1000 and up.. so if I want to see 205 on HD i will just enter 1205 or for 301 in HD i enter 1301 just enter the 1 before the acutal number and there you go, you are watching it in HD, so much easier and so much cleaner, Rogers wants to be next to the big ones out there, but it is many light years away from that.... oh well Rogers will always be Rogers.... good luck to all....

TInniss
I've Been Around

I hate the new guide.

- It won't let me go anywhere near my allotted recording space

- It won't let me set the amount of time i can record if i am too near my alotted space or won't let me select the amount of time i could record.

- it deletes recorded programs without warning or reason (even if the settings are 'until i delete')

- It is incredibly slow, changing channels navigating or deleting pvr programs

- I hate the preview of my recording list and scheduled

- it won't record even if it set to

- i hate that it stop recording duel programs without giving me a choice of picking a channel i am currently recording.

Please give me back my old guide!

-frustrated!

If you are un satified with the new guide, you can call rogers, and ask them to revert it to the old guide.

(But if you are using the whole home PVR, this will no longer work).

sami1327
I've Been Here Awhile

you have to call to revert back?  I did call, selected cable troubleshooting, selected option 5 (other), it reset my box and no other option, usually other means connect me to someone as the previous choices don't apply.  I reverted back to main menu, selected option 3, was put on hold then cut off.  good times.  now i come to the trusted website, do a search to revert back, of course nothing.  guess i will call tomorrow. 

PS was going to insert emotion but did not see mad.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello sam1327

In order to revert back to the old guide, you will need to speak to a tech support agent from Cable. They will be able to revert the old guide back to you. There is no option over the phone to do this unless you speak to a rep. They are able to push the old update out to you.

sami1327
I've Been Here Awhile

thanks,  i did try and got cut off.  try again later

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
You are welcome. Keep trying. I always get cut off the line most of the times i call them.

Are you guys calling from cellular?

I have never been cut off any time i call 😕

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Yes & No. 60% of the time i call from my house line or cell phone line, it gets cut off when being transferred or even holding on the line. This is something known to Rogers. If you search on Google, you will see THOUSANDS having this issue.

I got hung up once on a transfer a while back... but yeah, generaly i am OK and dont get hung up on.  Maybe just the lucky % that hasnt been.

As for the cell phone, only reason im asking, is i know some of the phone systems, when the person is on hold, do a sort of check the line thing, to make sure the person is still there.  With a cell phone, it seems it doesnt always seem to transmit this properly (or the other end cant pick it up).. and assumes the person is gone, and drops the call.
Our phone system at work here will do it.. but i havent got a call yet that a landline one is droped.

Maybe its time for a new phone system for them :P.. though we are in the process of getting qotes to replace ours.. and i know how frackin expensive they can be.

BlackIceXXX
I've Been Here Awhile
Glad to see this thread is still alive.

6 months later and Rogers still has not addressed any of the major issues. I cannot believe we still do not have slow motion playback. This is a BASIC feature from VCR days! Wake up Rogers!

Complaint
I've Been Here Awhile

I think I will revert back to the old guide also as the New Enhanced Guide  is so very slow, ugly and user unfriendly.

HD is awful and pixellated.

The alternative is Netflix or Bell. Rogers costs so much for such a poor quality experience!

I have been with Rogers for nearly 24 years now and I can no longer justify being loyal to them.

Why do these need to happen so frequently? it is ABSURD, there is an update almost every single night, if not actually every single night. I wouldn't really care if it was a 5 minute interuption, but every single time it screws up my box for a few hours. Last week all my channels switched, 4 was 46, 3 was 47 etc.. Most of the time, like tonight, it comes back on just frozen on a frame from whatever show I was watching. Why do I pay so much for this garbage?

From what I/we have been told (which is a very little), is that ontop of potential software updates (fixes, changes, etc), the main reason is this version of the guide, needs to do it apparently to load forward some of the guide info.  (that is at least what we have been told).

The channel switch thing.. is wierd.. never seen that..

One option you do have.. is if you are not using the whole home PVR setup, on any of the new boxes (8642 or 4642) you can call in and have them DOWNGRADE to the old guide, etc on it.
Doing this on a PVR model though, WILL erase all your recordings.