Enhanced guide - is this a joke?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Enhanced guide - is this a joke?

Anyone else having this problem?

1.  5 minutes prior to a recording scheduled, it tells me that there isn't enough room on my PVR.  I currently have more than 60% space FREE.  The options are "manage recordings" or "dismiss".  Dismiss function doesn't work and I have to hit Manage Recordings.

2.  Mysteriously recorded items now disappear at a random time afterwards.  I believe I may have had these recordings set to "until i erase" so it just took it upon itself to remove some of them.

3.  I don't know if this is the problem, but I'm thinking it's only doing this when it's wanting to record something i've got "record this day in this time slot" or "record all on this channel".  Does it think because i have 60% currently, that isn't enough space to fit an entire season and it's assuming I won't be deleting other programs over the weeks as I watch them?  If that's the case, then every program I have set to record each week is going to screw everything up and I'm going to have to manually go in each night and record what's playing that evening. 

UGH!

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Anyone else having this problem?

1.  5 minutes prior to a recording scheduled, it tells me that there isn't enough room on my PVR.  I currently have more than 60% space FREE.  The options are "manage recordings" or "dismiss".  Dismiss function doesn't work and I have to hit Manage Recordings.

I did have this particular problem when I first switched. I was told by Rogers that when I switched it should have wiped out my PVR but it did not. This particular problem occured for me when shows I scheduled prior to the update were set to record. I think it may be something to do with the old programming conflicting with the new programming.  I had to delete my scheduled recording and restart. I no longer have this problem.

If this doesn't fit your scenario, I can't help. Good luck.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I have had many of the same issues as many people on here and haven't noticed any significant changes or improvements in the software in the past month or so that I have had the new Netbox PVR (without whole home PVR functionalty, that lasted less than an hour before we had it removed).  The only change I have noticed is that they seem to have removed one of the extra steps confirming recordings and that was good to see.

Unfortunately it seems now that certain changes I make to scheduled programs get reset at the end of the night during the daily 4am (or 5am, depending on the day) reboot of the hardware.  I now have to make changes only on the same day as the scheduled recordings to make sure that they do not revert to the previous days's settings.

In addition to the daily forced reboot I have found that at least once per day, every day I now have to unplug and reboot the unit for some reason or another.  Sometimes I get the black bar at the bottom listing a program that is on the live channel while I am watching a recorded program, and it will not go away regardless of what button I push.  It only disappears with a reboot of the unit.

One thing that is sorely lacking in the search fuctionality (which I have had on my PC's PVR for 8+ years) is the ability to find a program in the guide itself and search for other showings of that show without having to do an exhausting search.  Its minor but would really help.

One of the most ridiculous problems is with the Manual Recording setup.  I haven't heard much about it mentioned which leads me to believe that it isn't used that much but the setup is infuriating.  If you want to record a show tonight from 8:00-9:00pm you have to set up that recording beforehand at an interval exactly one hour or two hours or three hours etc beforhand or it won't work.  If you try to schedule a Manual Recording at 5:04pm your only options are to start your program at 6:04pm, 7:04pm, 8:04pm, etc.  It boggles the mind that this hasn't been caught and fixed yet.

Another annoying little thing that you can't do that you could on the old software is the ability to push the record button while watching a program live and have it start recording that show.  You now have to hit the guide button and record it from the guide, another unnecessary step.

Others have mentioned this one too but one of the worst things in this new software is when you finish watching a recorded show instead of keeping you in the Guide or List Menu like it used to it now takes you live to the last channel you were viewing.  Unfortunately if you are recording two shows at the time the machine now tries to access a channel and you have a conflict with the other two channels being recorded.  Sometimes hitting Exit will fix this but I have had cases where it stays on the live channel and stops recording one of the others.  The whole thing is just so unnecessary and convoluted.

Some other things are minor but frustrating too.  When you're in the Guide Menu it covers a portion of the screen and gives you a small box with the show you are watching in it but when you're in the List Menu you get the menus layed over top the entire screen with the program in the background.  It would be nice to be able to customize how you want your setup. 

The FAV button used to just jump to your pre-selected channel when pressed, now it brings you to an on-screen list of the channels.  I can see how this might be useful if you have a bunch of channels but why not give you the option to have a listing or to jump through the channels with every press of the button?

The stretching functionality used to work like a charm, not it doesn't work at all and even works in reverse at times.  With the old box I had it set up so that any channel that wasn't HD (unbelievably channels like AMC, SPACE, TSN) would automatically expand to full screen and you wouldn't even notice it.  Now you can't do it and instead need to manually press the # button to stretch and it doesn't even do so properly, resulting in either black bars or being zoomed in too close.  To make it worse, even when the zoom button hasn't been pressed I often get HD channels squeezed down to 4:3 and have to channel up/down to get it back to normal.

These are just a few of the issues I have had in addition to many of the others I read on here.  To say I am frustrated and disappointed would be an gross understatement.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@angelus_025 wrote:

The stretching functionality used to work like a charm, not it doesn't work at all and even works in reverse at times.  With the old box I had it set up so that any channel that wasn't HD (unbelievably channels like AMC, SPACE, TSN) would automatically expand to full screen and you wouldn't even notice it.  Now you can't do it and instead need to manually press the # button to stretch and it doesn't even do so properly, resulting in either black bars or being zoomed in too close.  To make it worse, even when the zoom button hasn't been pressed I often get HD channels squeezed down to 4:3 and have to channel up/down to get it back to normal.

These are just a few of the issues I have had in addition to many of the others I read on here.  To say I am frustrated and disappointed would be an gross understatement.

This i beleive is due to some of the other changed to the box.

Previous when you were on a SD channel, it was in 480i, and when you went to a HD channel, fliped to 1080i.  I beleive now, it upscales ALL channels to 1080i, so its already pre-converted/streched the SD channels a little already.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I'm glad I came across this board. I'm soooo frustrated with the whole NextBox experience and was hoping it wasn't just me. It's so bad that my family had an "Intervention". They sat me down and told me "Dad, you need to get rid of the Nextbox". 🙂 We went from a TiVo to this and it's like going back 20 years in technology.

This week Rogers sent us a letter appologizing for all of the problems and giving us 6 free PPV movies. (I hadn't even called to complain) but there was nothing about any issues being fixed. Has anyone heard about them actually adressing this?

I noted that in Rogers financial results release they noted that they expect NextBox to drive up revenues from their cable operations. However it appears that it may do the opposite. I'm ready to ditch my $400+/month Rogers bill (between all of the services) and go elsewhere if nothing is resolved ASAP.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately, its not a 'resolve' situation.

This new ipg, is in its infancy.... and seems to have ALOT of growing pains.

They have pushed out mini updates, fixing a few minor things as time went on.. and as they get more feedback, im sure other things as well... but its not a eveything is going to change by tomorrow sort of thing.

For right now, you should be able to contact rogers, and they can push back the old IPG for you.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I totally agree with you about the Manual Recording. Literally would take minutes to set up a single recording as you had to go through half the channels list to get to the one that you wanted. Also, you'd do that only to find out that you can't schedule a reoccurring manual recording. I just recently started experiencing playback problems where my entire PVR would freeze will playing back some recordings. I drew the limit at the 4th reboot of the night and called up Rogers to have the old IPG restored. The lady on the line was really nice and did it in a second.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I got the new IPG as soon as it was released.

While yes it still has the same bugs/things that some people dont like.. i think i have had to reboot it maybe 3 times since i got it.

Compared to people like the above, and others, who have had to reboot many times a day even.

It seriously makes me think.. that there is a problem somewhere between say maybe a firmware version, or something on the hardware itself.. where ones with a certain firmware level take the new IPG fine.. and others dont.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Yes, it's truly disappointing. It's been through at least 2 reboots in the last 24 hours, and screwed up my programming.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

@Gdkitty wrote:

@angelus_025 wrote:

This i beleive is due to some of the other changed to the box.

Previous when you were on a SD channel, it was in 480i, and when you went to a HD channel, fliped to 1080i.  I beleive now, it upscales ALL channels to 1080i, so its already pre-converted/streched the SD channels a little already.

I am having the same problem with the "stretching" function ever since they changed to the new guide.  I've been complaining to Rogers for the last month.  Every time I call the CSR thinks that I'm dreaming.  They say that nobody else has this complaint.  Finally I got them to check their TV and they do see it too.  They keep leaving me automated messages to say that my problem has been corrected and close out my call.  I keep calling back to say it hasn't.

No way can you ever get to speak to a supervisor or manager.  I finally got to speak to a supervisor who said that he'd check it out and call me back. He never did.

I asked about changing back to the old guide.  They said sure but it'll be obsolete in about 9 months and we'll just have to go through this again.

Rogers went as far as blaming FOX which is one of the stations that the stretching problem exists.  The next time they are blaming CISCO which is the manufacturer of the digital box. 

I've threatened to change my TV to Bell but obviously this has no effect.

I'm at my wits end.  HELP!!!!